Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity2006 View Post
    Most likely. I currently just use synthetic motor oil and it's been working just fine for the last 5 years. I stopped drinking the name brand oil juice a long time ago. For the money the oil cannot be beat, may smell a bit, but that's the only negative. For heavier metal on metal contact (my 1911's and M1/M14 style actions) I use universal gun grease, and that holds up pretty well also.
    I wonder if that smell is benzene?
    http://www.who.int/ipcs/features/benzene.pdf
    http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/benzene/basics/facts.asp

Downloads
    Uploads
    This was posted on M4C by Andrew Tuohy who runs Vuurwapenblog.com and is the writer of the IR test.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Tuohy View Post
    My goal was to see if FireClean was identical to Crisco vegetable or canola oil. The IR test was sufficient for these goals. As I clearly stated in the article I did not, previous to that test, think that FireClean was Crisco, and at the time of publication I did not think that FireClean was Crisco. At the time of this post I do not think FireClean is Crisco.

The test was sufficient to determine the conclusions of the article which were, as I will restate, that FireClean is not Crisco, but that FireClean is "probably a modern unsaturated vegetable oil virtually the same as many oils used for cooking."

That is what the article said.

TFB picked it up with the title "FireClean is Crisco" which was NOT what I said and not what the test showed. While I cannot retract a statement I never made, if you would like me to restate for you that FireClean is not Crisco, I will be happy to do so here. FireClean is not Crisco.

I encourage everyone to conduct their own testing and publish the results.
    FFL 07/ NFA 02
    TWN Certified Hydro Dipper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hadn't really been following this since I don't use FireClean. Pretty interesting though. Especially the Vickers switching ammo conspiracy (though, I wouldn't put it past a good marketing team).

At the end of the day the lesson is the same as always is, do your own research, use what works for you in your environment.

Really why does anyone care if it IS a modified vegetable oil, if it works?

The wife and I have a pistol class coming up. I will completely clean and degrees my M&P and use only vegetable oil for the class.
    I'll post my findings.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    Which is extremely health hazardous. I'm friends with a former Reconnaissance Marine (before they were called MARSOC) who got Leukemia attributed to Benzene during the burning crude lakes and oil rain while deployed for Desert Storm

I was around some burning/lit crude but nothing of that significance fortunately....the winds were usually in my favor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post

Really why does anyone care if it IS a modified vegetable oil, if it works?

The wife and I have a pistol class coming up. I will completely clean and degrees my M&P and use only vegetable oil for the class.
    I'll post my findings.
    I think the only reason people care is because of the price. Nobody likes being taken for a ride or lied to. If it actually is only vegetable oil put into a bottle at a 2000% markup, people will feel very cheated.

I'll be interested with the results of your test Pyzik.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by WHSmithIV View Post
    I think the only reason people care is because of the price. Nobody likes being taken for a ride or lied to. If it actually is only vegetable oil put into a bottle at a 2000% markup, people will feel very cheated.

I'll be interested with the results of your test Pyzik.
    No one has lied. That's a stretch. If that's the case why aren't people up in arms over paying a premium for any petroleum based lubricant? Why not just buy a quart of motor oil for $3?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    No one has lied. That's a stretch. If that's the case why aren't people up in arms over paying a premium for any petroleum based lubricant? Why not just buy a quart of motor oil for $3?
    Lots of AK guys actually do just buy motor oil.

I still don't understand why people are so mad.
    A company saw a market, developed a product (I don't think it's simply vegetable oil, but it would be plant based oil with additives), marketed the the product VERY WELL.

They had to recoup cost for R&D, that huge marketing campaign and make some money. It appears they did a good job and probably made a lot of money.

Good for them!

Free market.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Very true. Most all motor oils have the same base composition, but different additives that give them their unique performance characteristics. The motor oil life is usually based on how long these additives can hold up. From what I've read the spectral analysis showed that it's a vegetable lipid, but does not show what the additives are.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used fireclean to cook eggs today.

Tasted....tactical

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Very true. Most all motor oils have the same base composition, but different additives that give them their unique performance characteristics. The motor oil life is usually based on how long these additives can hold up. From what I've read the spectral analysis showed that it's a vegetable lipid, but does not show what the additives are.
    EXACTLY.

EDIT
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I used fireclean to cook eggs today.

Tasted....tactical
    Haha.
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    All I have ever used is Aeroshell and diesel weight engine oil. I actually tried Froglube once because it was free and that garbage was overpriced even then.

And unless you have oil dripping off the bolt carrier I would bet you are exposd to more particulates and carcinogens in rush hour traffic than caused by lube used when firing a weapon.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    All I have ever used is Aeroshell and diesel weight engine oil. I actually tried Froglube once because it was free and that garbage was overpriced even then.

And unless you have oil dripping off the bolt carrier I would bet you are exposd to more particulates and carcinogens in rush hour traffic than caused by lube used when firing a weapon.
    This is why I walk barefoot through city dumps. I mean, I am around more stuff at the hospital, so it's fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use Remington spray. To clean and Lucas oil to lube
    $300 and 10 Pastrami Sandwiches and a case of Diet Coke. ( UWone77)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    http://www.vuurwapenblog.com/general...eclean-crisco/

The professor had something to say about the formulation and its relevance as a gun oil. “I don’t see any sign of other additives such as antioxidants or corrosion inhibitors. Since the unsaturation in these oils, especially linoleate residues, can lead to their oligomerization with exposure to oxygen and light, use on weapons could lead to formation of solid residues (gum) with time. The more UV and oxygen, the more the oil will degrade.”
    It's likely that people expected a eco-friendly, non-toxic blend of oils with additives. The lack of additives (if true) is probably one of the biggest (if not the biggest) contributors to the outrage (feigned or otherwise). I 'd wager that the amount of controversy would have been negligible had spectral analysis shown that there are common or proprietary additives. The cost for a blend of readily available/accessible vegetable based lipids seemingly without additives (aka FireClean) is outrageous.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    Lots of AK guys actually do just buy motor oil.

I still don't understand why people are so mad.
    A company saw a market, developed a product (I don't think it's simply vegetable oil, but it would be plant based oil with additives), marketed the the product VERY WELL.

They had to recoup cost for R&D, that huge marketing campaign and make some money. It appears they did a good job and probably made a lot of money.

Good for them!

Free market.
    I have to agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Facebook - Marty Callan