Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you haven't already, check out 300blktalk.com, at least in the handloading section. There is a wealth of info, much like here, for reloaders. I've tested 1680, 5744, Re7, 4227, and I believe it was IMR4198 for sub use.I settled on Re7 due to a couple of reasons. One was it performed- from 190 to 220 I could get good results- accuracy was good, BHO on last round, SD was low and it was cleaner burning than 1680. It didn't hurt that I was able to find it when I could not get 1680. 1680 is the 'standard' sub powder, and I got the same good results, other than it was quite a bit dirtier burning. 5744 surprised me, as it was also a good performer, altho it did leave some unburned powder in the barrel. Magnum small rifle primers seemed to help, but I had already found I liked Re7 so I didn't pursue that testing. I know a lot of guys like 4227 for subs, but I did not get BHO with it and the 190gr Noslers. And since those are my cheap plinking rounds, the powder has got to work with them. For 220gr it seemed to work fine. Guys also post success with H110 and LilGun for subs, but those are my super powders and limited so I keep them for supers.

The Hornady 150FMJ are a good super round... also look at the Speer 125gr TNT, guys swear by them. And, of course, the 110gr Barnes.

All this was tested on my 8½ Aero 1:7 barrel with the .109 gas port so your results may vary. Also an adj gas block, but I also test with the block wide open, then gate it down once I find what I like. I also inputted info into Quikload to verify stuff and give me a starting point for testing.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ya i am still a newb to BO but have read a lot over there on 300bk, tons of info as Jim said.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SwissyJim View Post
    If you haven't already, check out 300blktalk.com, at least in the handloading section. There is a wealth of info, much like here, for reloaders. I've tested 1680, 5744, Re7, 4227, and I believe it was IMR4198 for sub use.I settled on Re7 due to a couple of reasons. One was it performed- from 190 to 220 I could get good results- accuracy was good, BHO on last round, SD was low and it was cleaner burning than 1680. It didn't hurt that I was able to find it when I could not get 1680. 1680 is the 'standard' sub powder, and I got the same good results, other than it was quite a bit dirtier burning. 5744 surprised me, as it was also a good performer, altho it did leave some unburned powder in the barrel. Magnum small rifle primers seemed to help, but I had already found I liked Re7 so I didn't pursue that testing. I know a lot of guys like 4227 for subs, but I did not get BHO with it and the 190gr Noslers. And since those are my cheap plinking rounds, the powder has got to work with them. For 220gr it seemed to work fine. Guys also post success with H110 and LilGun for subs, but those are my super powders and limited so I keep them for supers.

The Hornady 150FMJ are a good super round... also look at the Speer 125gr TNT, guys swear by them. And, of course, the 110gr Barnes.

All this was tested on my 8½ Aero 1:7 barrel with the .109 gas port so your results may vary. Also an adj gas block, but I also test with the block wide open, then gate it down once I find what I like. I also inputted info into Quikload to verify stuff and give me a starting point for testing.
    Thanks for the info, Jim! I realizes there are a lot of variables involved with creating load that'll work with ones specific gun, but appreciate all the information i can get my hands on. Sounds like Reloader7 is an overall good performing powder and a great powder to start with while i work up loads to test.

I've read that H110 is the same powder as W296, and the two can be used interchangeably. The interwebs being what it is, i don't want to take the word of some random jamoke at face value. From my research, it would appear to be true, as load data that lists both powders indicate identical powder charges and velocities for a given load. Do you have any experience on this front?

Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Ya i am still a newb to BO but have read a lot over there on 300bk, tons of info as Jim said.
    Not only am i a newb to 300BLK, but i'm a newb to reloading/hand loading! I do have a couple things working in my favor though; i don't do things half-assed, and am a bit of a perfectionist. I plan on taking my time and using an abundance of caution. I really don't want my gun going kaboom, nor do i want to f-up my brand new silencer that i just waited half a year for.
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    Thanks for the info, Jim! I realizes there are a lot of variables involved with creating load that'll work with ones specific gun, but appreciate all the information i can get my hands on. Sounds like Reloader7 is an overall good performing powder and a great powder to start with while i work up loads to test.

I've read that H110 is the same powder as W296, and the two can be used interchangeably. The interwebs being what it is, i don't want to take the word of some random jamoke at face value. From my research, it would appear to be true, as load data that lists both powders indicate identical powder charges and velocities for a given load. Do you have any experience on this front?
    No, I have no personal experience with the H110/W296 front. But, like you, I did a lot of reading on it and from what I have read it is true. there are a few posters on 300blktalk that I have begun to trust thru their postings, and they have said the same. That said, I've never seen W296 nor tested it.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    Hodgdon lists both powders with the same charges so I would roll with it if I were you.