Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Kind of. The mismatch is that the Federal law uses "make", which is very broad, but state law says "manufacture". Swapping an upper or even a barrel on an AR is not manufacturing by any reasonable definition. That's like saying you manufactured your car because you changed the tire.

If you swap a 16+ upper for an SBR upper, you are "making" or "manufacturing" an SBR. Not a problem if the receiver has a transfer stamp assigned to it. I don't know how Washington state views it, but according to the Feds you can swap barrel lengths and calibers with impunity.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    If you swap a 16+ upper for an SBR upper, you are "making" or "manufacturing" an SBR. Not a problem if the receiver has a transfer stamp assigned to it. I don't know how Washington state views it, but according to the Feds you can swap barrel lengths and calibers with impunity.
    Correct, however, I do recall on Silencertalk or some such a few years back, a man took a pinned 14.5, or a 16.1, I forget which, placed it on his SBR, and went through a state where SBR's were illegal. He did not have with him the SBR length upper. He was stopped for something unrelated (speeding?), and the officer ran the gun and discovered it was registered as an NFA item. Charges were levied. I do not know the outcome/recall it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seems rather silly. Guy can hand over 200$ to gov for a stamp but only has money for one lower......I don't know just use another lower......it takes all the thinking out of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JGifford View Post
    Correct, however, I do recall on Silencertalk or some such a few years back, a man took a pinned 14.5, or a 16.1, I forget which, placed it on his SBR, and went through a state where SBR's were illegal. He did not have with him the SBR length upper. He was stopped for something unrelated (speeding?), and the officer ran the gun and discovered it was registered as an NFA item. Charges were levied. I do not know the outcome/recall it.
    Hmmm... I'm suspicious of the anecdote. How would the officer know the guy had a rifle in the car? And I strongly doubt that an LEO can query the NFRTR, a Federal database. I'm sure it varies from state to state but in this state, there's no state requirement for an SBR to be registered with the NFA nor is state registration required. . The only laws that apply are federal laws and I don't know any police officers in this state that are inclined to try to enforce Federal law. Anyway, transporting a non-SBR out of state is clearly legal. Here's the AFT's opinion https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/files...tate-lines.pdf .

The level of ignorance that exists about firearms by your general run of Law Enforcement Officers is amplified considerably when it comes to NFA firearms.
    Last edited by Hmac; 20 September 2015 at 07:08.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    Seems rather silly. Guy can hand over 200$ to gov for a stamp but only has money for one lower......I don't know just use another lower......it takes all the thinking out of it.
    That would be my solution lol. That we even have to think about or concern ourselves with such things is absurd, in my opinion. You know, that whole "shall not be infringed" part and all. But that's a discussion for another thread...
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ