Downloads
    Uploads

1911 Grip Frame Sizes

I'm trying to narrow my choices for next 1911 Gov't. by ruling out fat grips. My Colt and TRP are as thick as I can deal with. Are any of these known for chubbiness? Dan Wesson Valor, Les Baer, Guncrafters No Name.

Yes, I know I can go slim grips and replace bushings. Just want to know standard size comparison.

Thanks. This is the fault of you guys for tempting me beyond my budget with gorgeous 1911 pix posts lately.
    Last edited by Uffdaphil; 18 September 2015 at 10:11. Reason: Clarity
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would honestly look at VZ grips, pretty much the standard for upgrading a 1911's grip panels. I believe you can get them in whatever flavor your after (slim), I have had a few sets and they are superb. I also run Alumagrips on my operator and they work very well and have a very slim profile.

You really don't have to replace the bushings unless you go with super slim grips. I had no issues with the stock bushings and installing slimmer grips.

I don't know if any of the companies pumping out 1911's specifically have models that have slim grips per say. I would personally not choose a 1911 based on grips either as most 1911 owners treat grips like shoes. Find a gun that has the controls you want, slide features/frame/size features you want, and that has a reputable quality.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I should have asked for grip Frame size comparison. Don't see a way to change thread title. Yes I like VZ with mag cut out on my TRP. I like the features of all three makes mentioned and will get whichever I find a good used deal/swap first. Probably all three at some point.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    My vote....DW..Have a set of DW cocobolo grips on it now. Feels perfect in the hand, for some reason didnt like the feel of the trp.

Last edited by mustangfreek; 19 September 2015 at 04:35.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    Don't see a way to change thread title.
    Fixed the title for you. BTW, Les Baer frames are a wee bit larger than most others. I found Sarge at The Finer Grain http://thefinergrain.com/ will make grips that are larger (front to back, not thicker) to "look nicer" on a Les Baer Frame. So that may eliminate the Baer's from your search.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Jerry. I have Sarge's burled walnut grips on my Colt and like them. Probably going to rule out the Baer then. Love their quality, but besides the larger frame I prefer the less busy lines of the Valor and No Name.