Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Cock View Post
    That seems to be a crystal clear precedent to me. It almost seems like someone skipped the legality research part of their R&D and subsequent marketing.
    They already had a ruling by the ATF prior to production. The ATF changed their minds just like they did on the sig brace.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    They already had a ruling by the ATF prior to production. The ATF changed their minds just like they did on the sig brace.
    Is the initial ruling available somewhere? Everything about an AR lower fitted with a can cannon screams firearm to me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is the initial ruling available somewhere? Everything about an AR lower fitted with a can cannon screams firearm to me.
    I haven't seen one personally but they stated they did per their FB page. Trying to find one in the sea of mess now is near impossible...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by schambers View Post
    Curious to know what happens to people who already own one. Do they have to go through the SBR/AOW registration process or are they grandfathered in? If they are grandfathered in, how do they prove it?
    Since it's just an upper, it's nothing until placed on an lower.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Since it's just an upper, it's nothing until placed on an lower.
    What about the "Once assembled as an NFA item, always will be an NFA item" stuff?

Downloads
    Uploads
    What about the "Once assembled as an NFA item, always will be an NFA item" stuff?
    For something to be a NFA item, it has to be a firearm. An upper (in this case) isn't a firearm, so it's not a NFA item. Lots of people put "NFA rules apply" when selling short uppers, but the upper itself (again, in the case of an AR) isn't anything other than a hunk of metal.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    For something to be a NFA item, it has to be a firearm. An upper (in this case) isn't a firearm, so it's not a NFA item. Lots of people put "NFA rules apply" when selling short uppers, but the upper itself (again, in the case of an AR) isn't anything other than a hunk of metal.
    Of course, but once you put it on a lower, according to the new ruling, you have created an SB(s?) correct? And there a hundreds if not thousands of people who have already done so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Breaking news. The ATF has redefined an inch. New inches are now equivalent to 3 inferior inches.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course, but once you put it on a lower, according to the new ruling, you have created an SB(s?) correct? And there a hundreds if not thousands of people who have already done so.
    I'm not sure what ruling you're referring to and, admittedly, I really haven't been paying attention to the Can Cannon's story. But generally speaking (and since it's basically an AR upper), and according to the ATF's FAQs, if you have a configurable weapon (like the AR), you can remove and replace a portion of the weapon (upper for an AR) and the weapon and the firearm becomes a Title 1 weapon. Yes, there's constructive possession, and while it exists, I think it's more of an internet bogeyman then anything worth worrying about...kind of like waiting for the random ATF agent to inspect your firearms on the shooting bench. It's possible, but not a common practice.

Rereading the letter on page one, I guess you're referencing the "when placed on a...lower" sentence. Yes, true, but remove the upper, and put a 16" barrel on it, and it's no longer a NFA firearm. It might still be registered as one, but deregistering is voluntary.