Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noveske vs LWRC

MikeinCB Guest

Noveske vs LWRC

I am looking to make my first AR15 purchase. I have narrowed my options down to either a Noveske N4 basic or a LWRC M6. I would prefer to go with a Noveske, however they are not taking orders for another 3-6 months. How does the LWRC compare to the Noveske? Putting the DI vs short-piston debate aside, I am interested in the following:

-the overall build quality of the LWRC (receiver, barrel, trigger, etc) as compared to Noveske

-parts availabilty- LWRC claims 80% parts commonality, but what would be
    the availabilty of piston parts given another AWB?

I have already done an extensive ammount of searching on this subject matter, however I am interested in the opinions of those who frequent this board. Is the LWRC a solid product, or is it in my best interest to roll the dice and wait for a Noveske? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I were to have only one AR type weapon, it would be one of the DI varieties. While not a negative comment about the quality of LWRC, the various piston systems are proprietary and parts availability can't compete with DI.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have the LWRC, but my friend has 5 of them and he swears by them. I have the LMT Piston and if given a chance, I prefer the Piston over DI. I'm not too worried about a ban. Shit, I already live in a ban state anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I own a LWRC M6A2 and though it is my first and only (at the moment) AR style rifle, I love it! Mine is a earlier version, the rifle they are making now is benefiting from a better barrel which is cold hammer forged, a better bolt carrier with a better coating and since they were bought up by MATEC I think that the availability of quality parts won't be a issue. You could always get a DI gun now and a piston upper at a later date, or vice versa.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're going to buy a piston gun, do so and buy extra piston parts. Just like you do with a DI gun.

TS

Downloads
    Uploads
    I realize that you probably feel that you're past this point, but I still would not start with a piston gun. Admittedly, that is the perspective of someone who does not yet own one, but the argument in favor of pistons isn't quite as strong as some would have you believe (Noveske interview link). The implementation of DI systems has improved steadily over time -- particularly in non-standard lengths and suppressed applications -- whereas most pistons really have problems of their own.

Barring that, I'm not sure that I would place LWRC in the same category as Noveske, regardless of operating system. To my way of thinking, the LWRC is a fine weapon, but not necessarily representative of a best-in-class fighting AR. We're admittedly arguing minutae here, but Noveske starts with the best barrel available and pretty much builds a rifle around that. Aside from the obvious component quality issue (which is a Noveske strong point), John's rifles pretty much define attention to detail, and most would consider them well worth the wait. That's not an anti-LWRC stance, but between the two you have mentioned, I would have to consider it a nod to the Noveske.

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Although I love my LWRC, I must admit that for my first rifle I prob should have gotten a DI gun. The availability of parts and the options for high end quality is more prevalent than piston guns at the moment. Although the newer LWRC's are very nice.
    Not to go off topic, Chief can you tell me if the Noveske barrels are chrome lined?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Matt,

Depends upon whether you're talking about their stainless barrels or the standard N4 barrels. Obviously, the former aren't, while the latter are well-known for the M249 chroming spec that John adheres to. Essentially, that amounts to a chrome layer that is twice as thick as a standard M4/M16 (per their web site).

This isn't tantamount to "double chroming," however; it is simply that that the initial chroming is uniformly done to the machinegun TDP. I'm not aware of anyone else in the business going to such great lengths, but as mentioned previously, Noveske's real stock in trade lies in the over-arching quality of his barrels.

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    I own a noveske and love it accuracy is sub moa on mine. N4 lo pro recce. I've seen lwrc and I'd have to say they don't have anything on Noveske's quality. Ban isn't coming till 2011 anyway so don't base your decision on what's available now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    2011? My math skills don't merge all that well with my interpretation of political trends ... what has you thinking 2011?

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Which barrels are the ones on the Noveske Web page? I def would love to get a 16" mid with the chrome plating.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can source a Noveske barrel through selected vendors (when they are in stock), but you're usually looking at buying an entire upper from Noveske directly. If you navigate to the barrels page, you can get a very good assay of what's available in his signature stainless lineup -- these are the ones most often encountered in builds.

John's conventional steel N4 barrels are most easily seen on his N4 Light Uppers page. Based upon your description, I'd say you are probably looking for an N4 Light Recce upper.

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Currently at the rate in which republicans are loosing seats in the senate 2011 would be the year that they would loose the ability to filibuster a bill. Fillibuster is basically talking about a bill for so long that it is required for it to pass by a super majority of 3/5 votes or 60 votes. That is more or less a cock block, excuse my language, to any gun ban legislature coming down the pipe. Now I say 2011 at the current rate, it is all possible if things change that a gun ban will never be passed b/c of the ratio of dems to GoP.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMatt View Post
    Which barrels are the ones on the Noveske Web page? I def would love to get a 16" mid with the chrome plating.
    Noveske doesn't sell N4 chrome lined barrels seperate, at least to my knowledge. The best way to get one would be to talk w/ Wes at MSTN.biz he can set you up with a build with one for anything 16" or less. He's very knowledgeable and can really build anything that you could possibly want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd go for Noveske. Like everyone said, a DI system is easier to get replacement parts. Since I received my first Noveske.. I have to say the quality is really there.