Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

SLR rifleworks rail and adjustable gas block - possible issue(s)?

two issues:

As I've posted before, I have a 9.25" ultralight SLR rail with a 15-position adjustable gas block. It looks like its touching, and while I don't have shims to test it, Id id try with a dollar bill and it didn't make it past both.

At 25yards I am not getting anything remotely close to the groups I should be getting, I'd say 2-3 inches, benched. I assume they are touching and the harmonics are throwing off the accuracy.

Second issue is that with a G5t on the end, every single gas setting blows gas in my face, I started at 1 and worked all the way back, each one is horribly over-gassed and I found setting 8 to be the most functional for the setup I am running (works suppressed and unsuppressed without issue) but I get a lot of gas in my face either way.

Anyone have similar experiences, maybe shed some light on one of my issues?

Also, before anyone says "you dun installed it wrong!" Seeing as it functions without a single hiccup yet other than the gas in my face when suppressed, I don't see how that's possible.
    Last edited by voodoo_man; 28 September 2015 at 09:58.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you tested the barrel with a standard gas block?

I would personally lean towards you got a crap barrel vs. harmonics.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Have you tested the barrel with a standard gas block?

I would personally lean towards you got a crap barrel vs. harmonics.
    I would also lean towards the barrel over Harmonics. Harmonics alone shouldn't be causing 2-3 inch groups at 25 yards.

Is it a brand new barrel? Maybe it has not been broken in yet? Barrel brand?

Downloads
    Uploads
    My SLR rail and gas block also touch. It has not caused any accuracy issues. Not that I have really noticed. Then again I haven't tried to shoot groups for a while.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The majority of the gas which hits you in the face comes from the chamber, not from the gas tube. Reducing the amount of gas through the gas block slows the action back down so it's not beating itself to death. Your suppressor is still generating a ton of back pressure that is going to flow back into the receiver from the chamber.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    A quick test on the harmonics will be to slightly rotate the rail and test it. The slr barrel nut will allow a slight rotation. I doubt that it's throwing the groups off though. Could be junk or mismatched ammo or as others say a bad barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Barrel was run with the gas block it came with, 3ish inch at 100y with same 55gr IMI I used today. so its not the barrel.

@slippers, yeah I know how it works, ive had the g5t on other guns and have had no such issue (11.5 bcm, 16inch kac) even my 7.75 inch piston mk107 didnt suck this bad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wonder if there's a chamber defect causing excessive pressure?

Edit: What do the case heads look like?

Downloads
    Uploads
    hmmm... I have 3 rifles, all with SLR blocks - 223, 300BLK and 458Socom- and I don't see what you are describing, at least in amounts. The normal bit, like slippers says, but nothing worse. But when I put my suppressor on my Colt 9620 with OEM front sight block, I get mouthfuls of gas which is highly annoying.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe Voodoo is trying out some canola oil instead of fireclean. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have the bolts changed from now to what you previously used? Mis-matched head spacing may explain the gas and accuracy issues.

If everything has stayed more or less the same, 3MOA may be the average grouping you can expect with your particular barrel/ammo combination.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It was dipped in canola oil, yes.

Nothing has changed other than the gas block and rail. Barrel and upper are the same.

It may be a 3moa gun, but not at 25y.

Ill have to check the casings next time. I wasnt really paying attention to them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If everything else remained the same just for kicks and giggles try running a different type of ammo. 10 rounds should tell you all you need to know. It is possible that you got a bad batch. Before you do that though run a brush down your barrel 2 or 3 times.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    If everything else remained the same just for kicks and giggles try running a different type of ammo. 10 rounds should tell you all you need to know. It is possible that you got a bad batch. Before you do that though run a brush down your barrel 2 or 3 times.
    Yeah ill do that.

I also just remembered I mounted another optic (accupowet) in a bobro and I dont remember if I used loctite or not, haha, if thats it i owe you guys beers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Yeah ill do that.

I also just remembered I mounted another optic (accupowet) in a bobro and I dont remember if I used loctite or not, haha, if thats it i owe you guys beers.
    $5 bucks says its the mount. LOL! That same thing happened to me Even a little loose makes a huge difference.

I would still try different ammo.