Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

New PMAG vs old PMAG

There are a bunch of threads on other boards talking about the differences between the "M" PMAG, and the original version. I don't look at there being a large difference between them in term of actual functionality, but a few differences were done in the new molds. The below images should show you how to quickly tell what you are looking at.

First, here is a picture showing the different PMAGs. Starting from the far left, we have the old PMAG, the windowed PMAG, new "M" PMAG, EMAG (export mag), and 20 round PMAG.

Last edited by Stickman; 8 February 2009 at 19:01.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can see here that the new PMAG and EMAG have feedlip covers that attach to the bottom of the magazine body.

Last edited by Stickman; 8 February 2009 at 19:01.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Older PMAG shown on the left in both images, new one on the right. This shows the upper and lower sections of the magazine spine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This shows the body ribbed sections have been changed, and there are now 3 larger panels instead of 4. The ribs are slightly thinner than the older versions, and do not protrude as much. The difference is small, but its there. The old PMAG had a cutout for the window insert, the new one does not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    With the old on the left, and new on the right again, you can see the floorplates are different, and the new ones are marked with a "M", so it would be hard to confuse them.

From the top view, you can see the follower, and the front of the magazine is different on the inside. The new follower is also marked with the "M".

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can also check on the date code, and you will see that there is the "M" stamped there.

So there you have it, the body, follower, and baseplate are all marked with the "M". For those who looked closely, you can also see that the magazine insert which locks into the floorplate is a different color as well.

saor32 Guest
    Will the E-Mags be available in the US, or only for export?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by saor32 View Post
    Will the E-Mags be available in the US, or only for export?

They will be available for purchase here if for some reason you wanted them instead of the PMAG.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are there any newly built in improvements or is this just a mold and model change?

TIA,

TS

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerStripe View Post
    Are there any newly built in improvements or is this just a mold and model change?

TIA,

TS
    TS.

I've got no doubt there are a number of improvements. Someone was nice enough to IM me and comment that the ability to use stripper clip guides is improved. The dustcover slipping onto the bottom is an improvement according to the group that asked for that particular modification. The minor variance in the front must make a bit of difference as well (when viewed from straight down).

For the vast amount of PMAG users? I doubt we will see any difference at all. I think this is more a change or update of molds, and a few minor tweaks with the new design. As far as functional differences, I don't think there really are any.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    TS.

I've got no doubt there are a number of improvements. Someone was nice enough to IM me and comment that the ability to use stripper clip guides is improved. The dustcover slipping onto the bottom is an improvement according to the group that asked for that particular modification. The minor variance in the front must make a bit of difference as well (when viewed from straight down).

For the vast amount of PMAG users? I doubt we will see any difference at all. I think this is more a change or update of molds, and a few minor tweaks with the new design. As far as functional differences, I don't think there really are any.
    That was what I thought. It looks like it may fit in tighter mag wells, but current or "older" Pmags fit in every lower I have and drop free when empty.

Thanks again,

TS

Downloads
    Uploads
    An exceptional primer on what has, to this point, been a rather subtle list of differences. Thanks, Stick.

Now ... prepare for the inevitable avalanche of "I want to buy some PMAGs. How can I make sure I'm getting the new version?" posts all across the web.

AC

Downloads
    Uploads
    Next dumb question: will there be M series Maglevel setups?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm assuming the new M will replace the standard Pmags we're all used to?

Does that mean there will be no more windowed Pmags?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Jeffy,

There are no more of the original PMAGs being built as far as I know, everything is going to be the new one.

Guessing on the windowed mags would be just that, a guess. I think at some point, the molds will need to be replaced, and that we would see similar changes then.