Downloads
    Uploads

Ar handguard length input please

Good afternoon,

I'm going to install a tubular handguard on my AR, replacing a carbine length MOE handguard. I'm doing so to give myself a longer reach and a smaller diameter. After using it for a couple of years I find the carbine length too short.

My question for those of you who use one: I'm considering a 13" length. I plan to mount a Magpul MBUS front sight and a TLR-1 on the rail. The MBUS and the TLR-1 take up 4" of rail space when I measure them on the table. If I plan to use a thumb-over-bore grip will 13" be too short? I could install a 15" rail.

Thank you.

Christian

Downloads
    Uploads
    How tall are you? 13" should be plenty for most people.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm 6-3 and long armed and had the same setup and found the 13" alpha too short for a fully extended thumb over.

If your barrel will allow it, get the 15" for this setup. You can always mark your barrel and "estimate" if it will work for you. Totally dependent on the user IMO.

The above was with a SOPMOD extended out 2 notches. I'm running my stock 1 notch in from full extension now but using a FSB and ff 7" DD rail and no thumb over grip now.

You might try running the stock out if you don't already. It would make the 13" work I figure. I didn't think I would like the stock extended shooting but can see now how it does keep your head up and more natural to mount the gun.
    Last edited by oregonshooter; 8 December 2012 at 12:25.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Paulo and Oregonshooter- I'm 6' tall. So not as tall as Oregonshooter. I have been gripping my rifle trying to figure it out. An extended grip for me is comfortable with my thumb wrapped over my current light and in front of the FSB. This is about 10" it seems. If I go with the 13" I would back up a bit as my thumb would hit the MBUS. I have to admit rather foolishly I hadn't thought of running the stock out another notch...........

Yes, the barrel will allow the 15" version. Is there a drawback to the extra 2" for any reason?

Thank you for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonshooter View Post
    I'm 6-3 and long armed and had the same setup and found the 13" alpha too short for a fully extended thumb over.

If your barrel will allow it, get the 15" for this setup. You can always mark your barrel and "estimate" if it will work for you. Totally dependent on the user IMO.

The above was with a SOPMOD extended out 2 notches. I'm running my stock 1 notch in from full extension now but using a FSB and ff 7" DD rail and no thumb over grip now.

You might try running the stock out if you don't already. It would make the 13" work I figure. I didn't think I would like the stock extended shooting but can see now how it does keep your head up and more natural to mount the gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    How tall are you? 13" should be plenty for most people.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Other than the added weight, there is no drawback that I can think of. If there is any doubt, I'd go with the 15".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ditto

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you both for the help. Happy Holidays.

Downloads
    Uploads
    CLMBE, are you standing with your shoulders square to the target, or is your right (or left) shoulder behind the other. I'm 6'2'' with a 34'' sleeve length
    and my hand grips just in back, but touching the FSB on a 16'' midlength. I also stand square to the target, which extends my reach more than standing the other way.

Downloads
    Uploads
    longer handguard = longer lever = easier to flex with less effort. So downsides to a longer handguard include added minimal cost and weight and a more easily disturbed sight alignment assuming irons mounted on the tube.

At 6' I think you might even find the 13.0 longer than you require. I would suggest being sure to purchase a make/model that has a variety of lengths, that way if you decide later that you want to go longer/shorter you don't have to monkey with the barrel nut and you can just swap out the tube. You can often find people on the various forums that want what you have, and have what you want, and work out a straight-up trade with them. I went from a 10.0 to an 11.0 on my favorite gun and at 6' myself I find that length perfect. But I run my stock out further than a lot of people as I moved away from the "one notch out" setting and went to a length that's more like an A1 to A2 length.

Height and reach aren't the only things to take into account when figuring overall length. Body type affects this as well. I'm 180 lbs which means that the distance from my pectoral to either outstretched hand is longer than someone stronger or fatter than me. Giant man-boobs or big juicer muscles are going to shorten the distance from heel of the stock to the front end of the handguard. As is armor or gear. Stance is another factor, and the on-notch stock setting goes along with the "squared up" stance while a stock run further out goes with more of a bladed stance. I've gone from squared up to bladed as well over the last few years.
    WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Gun- Thank you for the reply. I would say I'm semi-bladed but actually do both during practice. I do naturally fall back onto a more bladed stance though.

Hi Rob- Thank you for the reply too. I'm 170lbs not a muscle man but at least I can say I'm in shape. I've always used my stock on the first or second notch but plan to experiment with the setting as well, as I've always kept it in tighter to be on top of my irons, but use an Aimpoint now with BUIS.

ETA: I realized I can't cut the tube down due to the hole/slot spacing so that isn't an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    CLMBE, are you standing with your shoulders square to the target, or is your right (or left) shoulder behind the other. I'm 6'2'' with a 34'' sleeve length
    and my hand grips just in back, but touching the FSB on a 16'' midlength. I also stand square to the target, which extends my reach more than standing the other way.
    Last edited by CLBME; 26 December 2012 at 11:12.