Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
    The gas system would have to be a short stroke independent piston stabilized in a gas piston tube with an adjustable gas system- again similar to a FAL or even a SIG style system.
    Bryant, doesn't this describe the SR-556?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Its the Bobro mount.

That's a good looking mount. It's sorta half cantilevered out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Testing is moving along nicely with this project. At this point, its only the upper thats being put through its paces.
    Send that upper on down to AZ and I can take it on a desert combat training mission.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey guys, I know im coming in a little late here, but how about trying a Spikes Tactical nickel boron plated BCG? This looks like it should be a very durable piece of equipment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Spike's nickel boron is almost the exact same as the Failzero BCG that is already being used. The Failzero should give you a very good impression of how both perform.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are my humble suggestions.

Barrel: 16" BCM mid or 14.5" Daniel Defense mid, hammer forged
    FH: AAC Blackout (pinned on the 14.5") Great flash suppression. No comps or brakes. They don't hide flash and if you're worried about 5.56 recoil, hit the gym. YHM Phantom if you want to keep cost down
    Rail: LaRue, or if you like round tubes, Blackheart International's new 12".
    BCG: Fail Zero lives up to the hype. I can't believe how clean it runs.
    Charging handle: BCM Gunfighter
    Upper: Vltor MUR, or BCM if you want to keep cost down
    Optic: Still young, but I like the EOTech XPS. For a magnified optic, TA11H "horseshoe" ACOG. For budget optic, the new Nikon M-223 series sounds great.
    Rail panels: Knights
    Vertical foregrip: LaRue FUG

Lower:
    Stock: Vltor iMod. Can't beat the value or cheek weld
    Sling: VCAS or VTAC- whoever wins the grudge match
    Grip: Colt A2 or if you want something slightly different the Stark grip.
    Trigger: Geissele SSA, or whatever trigger feels best to you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Geissele 2 stage SSA trigger

Just bought a Geissele trigger.. was easy to install and feels nice..Also.. Bill Geissele was fantastic about calling me to talk me through one issue i was having while installing.. (On a Saturday)

Highly recommend this trigger and company..

if you dont have a geissele 2 stage trigger... GET ONE

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been kicking around the idea of building an AR15 for no other purpose than to use as an absolute heavy use/ abuse weapon. I don't mean the gun you take out and shoot fast, I mean an overbuilt AR15 that will stand up to any use or abuse you can realistically put a carbine through.

Think drop testing of components, thing about a carbine that will soak up loads of users worst punishment, and come back for more. Think along the lines of an AR15 that is going to get treated like a conscript treats their AK.

What components would you select, and why? As this project moves along, we will get plenty of pictures of everything, and we will talk about what we chose, why we chose it, and what other options could have filled the bill.

I'm open to just about any idea. This will be a project that should serve as a long standing platform for further testing of assorted components, but to start out, we need a solid base. This will be a total custom platform, no preassembled uppers, or complete weapons.

Everything from lowers, stocks, sights, buffers, uppers, barrels, BCGs, and whatever else you can think of are on the table.

What parts would you chose? What do you want to see used?

I'd start with a good chrome lined CHF barrel--probably tne Noveske N4--for long-term durability and abuse resistance.

I'd use a 7075-T6 upper with some extra material where it may help (e.g. VLTOR's MUR or Larue's Stealth)--we're building for hard use, not light weight.

I'd use the best bolt carrier group I could get my hands on. It's been a while since I read up on bolts and carriers, but a mil-spec M16 bolt carrier group--maybe with one of the "enhanced" 9310 bolts--with the latest and greatest Ion-Bond or Tennifer/Diamond Black type surface treatments. The LMT Enhanced BCG is another option.

The receiver extension seems like one of the weak links in the system, so I'd use a thicker one. I'd probably use Magpul UBR to get the Entry Receiver Extension tube) with a heavy buffer--maybe Spikes. I'd probably use a CS buffer spring. Something more idiot proof than the UBR would be required for the conscripts, though, IMO.

I have a POF P415 Gen III 7075-T6 billet lower. It's even beefier than the current USGI lower and fully ambidextrous. I'd use a White Oak LPK w/o trigger or hammer and a Geiselle SSA or SFA trigger--I've uses the White Oak/Geiselle SSA combo on several builds and am totally satisfied.

Rail-wise, I don't know. I have a VIS, which is a good upper and rail, but it's heavy. It does allow you to clean the outside of the barrel easily (as does Colt's new monolithic upper), but I've wondered about the lack of ventilation holes under the barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Testing is moving along nicely with this project. At this point, its only the upper thats being put through its paces. It should be going to military ranges next. Unfortunately, the BCG that we are testing is a semi-auto, so that rules out FA testing at this point.

No problems of any kind noted so far. The Fail Zero BCG has surprised a lot of us, I had thought the coating would be hype, but it really does run well.
    ------------------------------------------

Very informative thread. Any updates on the testing?

Downloads
    Uploads
    UCRT,

Chugging along, but nothing ultra exciting to update with. The Fail Zero BCG runs very well, and it appears to have a effect on the rest of the testing. The carbine, specifically the upper just goes and goes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am very pleased to read good things about the FailZero parts. That is really exciting technology.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nothing posted since 24 June. Any updates on round count. Did the upper ever get a lower? If the upper needs cold weather testing let me know.

Until that day,
    Darkop

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Fail Zero BCG sounds like a good one especially for ease of cleaning and if lubed would be slick as snot. However if any one ever frequents the Lightfighter forum, they would shoot you down for using it.

I know I'm happy with my LMT BCG but in the future for another build the FZ would be considered if money wasn't so tight.

Awesome forum you guys have here also.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been following this thread and this is what I have settled on for me.

Sights: ARMS #71 or the Magpul GenII MBUS
    Reason: Not willing to spend $200+ on a BACK UP, when the ARMS/Magpul are durable enough.

Optic: Multiple Optics in QD Mounts.
    CQB Optic: EOTech XPS with the ACCUCAM mount. I'd get the EXPS, but it sits up too high for me.
    Multi-Purpose Optic: TA33 ACOG with Green Horseshoe Reticle in a QD Mount, preforably Bobro. I prefer the TA33 over a 1x4 or a red dot with magnifier because the ACOG pretty much does everything that the others do, but it is lighter.
    Variable Scope: SWFA 3x9 if I didn't need illumination or the IOR 2.5x10 illuminated FFP scope. Both in QD Mounts. I like both of these scopes because they are FFP, have the matching Mil reticle/Mil turrets, and they are affordable compared to other scopes in their class.
    Reason: I tried the do everything optics such as the 1x4/1x6 and the red dots with the magnifier and they were all compromise optics.

Grip: MIAD.
    Reason: Like the different grips and the trigger guard.

VFG: Grip-Pod LE.
    Reason: Affordable, tough, light, and great for shooting in the prone.

Stock: Vltor I-Mod or E-Mod.
    Reason: Very comfortable, affordable, and great for us living in the Commy States because they are easy to pin and you can cover up the pin.

Barrel: LMT MRP 16" Chrome line Midlength. Could also get the LMT MRP 16" SS barrel if I wanted more accuracy.
    Reason: Very accurate and good weight. Could always reprofile if need.

Trigger: Geisselle SSA.
    Reason: The best combat 2-stage available.

Buffer/Spring: Superior Shooting Spring and the heaviest buffer that will cycle the weakest loads.
    Reason: Been running this set-up for years and works great.

Upper: Monolithic Upper. I prefer the LMT CQB MRP because it is convenient for me and I can use the LMT Piston Conversion, but I also like the Mega with the QD attachment points.
    Reason: Monolithic upper are the way to go. Since I prefer to have FF Handguards, I prefer the Monolithic Uppers because they are the stiffest and I prefer to run the front and rear BUIS, so I don't have to worry about alignment issues.

Lower: Any quality lower.
    Reason: They are basically all the same quality.

Magazines: Magpul Windowed.
    Reason: They are the best.

Lights: Surefire G2 LED, preforably in a QD Mount.
    Reason: Affordable and works.

Flash Hider/Comp: BattleComp or the FSC556 (Smith Vortex if I could have one.)
    Reason: Since I live in NJ, I can only have Muzzle brakes, so the above two are my top choices because they aren't as obnoxious as others.

Rail covers: Tangodown.
    Reason: Have been using them for years.

Downloads
    Uploads

A1 SP1 Slick Side

I'm building it right now. Colt A1 slick side upper. BCM 11.5" bbl with fixed fsb. The rear sight will have a CSACT Aperture and the FSP will be tritium. MOE handguards. A BFG uwl sling attachment with a BFG padded two point sling. X300 Light on the MOE. The lower will be a Sully fixed stock. I would use a DD or Noveske lower and a DD or G&R tactical LPK. I would have an H/H2 buffer. I like the MOE pistol grip and trigger guard. A stack of 30 PMags to go with it. There is not much to break and I've eliminated a bunch of moving parts. The only thing requiring batteries is the light and I will have two spare in the pistol grip. I will add either a Vortex or AAC flash hider to the gun.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 15 January 2011 at 12:25. Reason: flash hider