Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    jp0319,

Unless something has changed recently, Larue Tactical doesn't make a lower as they don't have the proper license for it. I don't blame them one bit for not wanting to jump into the weapon manufacturing side of things, its a lot heavier on the paperwork side of things, and having SMOS do the work for them makes a lot of sense. Making your own lowers and weapons is a big deal, and even Magpul opted to do their lowers through Noveske Rifleworks because of all the aggravation associated with it.

Back to the original comment, if we had a SMOS lower, I would look at using it, though I don't really think they are all that much different than other billet lowers that are out there. POF and Sun Devil are two of the earlier companies that were using billet lowers, and we may be using one of them.

Good layout ideas, I think we are pretty close to final components right now.
    Stick
    They do make lowers the problem is that they will only sell them to you if you have purcchased a larue stealth upper or have one on order, thats why I caviat with if money and AVAILABILITY were not an issue those would be my personal choices
    Last edited by jp0319; 9 May 2009 at 19:12.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcoastie View Post
    Shit I guess I'll start off a template so it's easy to see what the winning components are. Will reply when I have a little more time and thought.

Handguard:Troy mrc 11 in.
    Reason: thicker alum. than others on the market, not wimpy.

Sights: Troy buis both front & rear
    Reason: service,less parts to fail & ease of use.

Optic: Aimpoint ML3 2 mil. dot. hens dolt 2.5 mag poboy both in larue mounts.
    Reason:Ease of use and fits my needs.

Grip: Magpull MIAD.
    Reason: fits my hand better than the others Ive tryrd.

Stock: Magpull CRT.
    Reason:

Barrel including length: CMMG M 10 bull @ 1'' & 3.1 lbs.
    Reason: I hate lite weight barrels, to fast to heat up and lose poi.

LPK/Trigger: CMT.
    Reason: No worries about failure.

Buffer: H1
    Reason:It works well with my set up, less bounce, less beating of the tube.

BCG: CMT
    Upper Rec: VLTOR MUR-1

Reasonersonal preference ,No wimpy parts.
    Lower Rec: DPMS
    Reason: Its one that I had . probably will buy a tactical invitations billet.
    Magazine: 25 P-MAGS
    Reason: Durability, ease of use.

Lights/lasers/etc: S/F m900 b
    Reason: I like it & it had a good price, $150.00 new.

Charging Handle: CMT
    Reason: no reason for a fancy expensive one.

Flash Hider/CompWS FS556.
    Reason: No muzzle climb 0.

Misc Stuff rail covers etc:Magpull XTR, Larue / harris bipod, Troy SPS, KNS anti-rotational pin set Gen II.
    Reason:
    This set up works for me and is dependable and only 11 lbs. Lite compared to the m-60 I use to carry with an xm177e1 as backup.
    "you know what i think ... it dont really matter what i think, once that first bullet goes past your head politics and all that shit goes right out the window." -sgt. sanderson s/f.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is the completed upper....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Handguard: DD Lite 9.0 (not the Omega – I want my free floating hand guard in one pc, not two.)
    Reason: Lite and durable

Sights: Any well machined flip up…
    Reason: I’m with Stickman on this one – optics may change per shooter and task.

Optic: Trijicon ACOG
    Reason: A. I love the one I have B. What bigcoastie said hits nuts on.

Grip: Magpul MIAD
    Reason: Comfort, adjustability and durability

Stock: Magpul UBR
    Reason: That stock if SOLID.

Barrel including length: Sabre Defense/ Shilen / Lothar Walter 18” SPR
    Reason: Extended range/capabilities and still quick enough to use in tight quarters.

LPK/Trigger: JP Fire Control System 4-4.5 #’s
    Reason: JP’s are well made and if we’re gonna beat the hell outta this thing I wouldn’t want a modular or a “drop in” trigger group. If something breaks in the field I can fix it if I’ve brought backup.

Buffer: As per the buffer…Open, but probably on the heavier side/ As per the spring…def CS spring.
    Reason: CS springs are duty rated for 500,000 compression cycles at maximum performance.

BCG: Fail Zero w/ exo coat
    Reason: 50,000 lube-free rounds on AR-15’s.

Upper Rec: Vltor Mur
    Reason: I’m a fan of milled parts and Vltor has slightly thicker walls.

Lower Rec: Either Tactical Innovations T15 BDX or POF 415 G3
    Reason: Milled and Ext. finger flares

Magazine: Magpul
    Reason: If I can drive over it and it still functions…nuff said.

Lights/lasers/etc: Debatable
    Reason: I don’t like too much stuff hangin off my weapon…just more weight and more stuff to break.

Charging Handle: Open w/ bias: milled w/ Tac Latch G2
    Reason: Note: I would be prone to go with a PRI Gas Buster IF we’re suppressed or short barreled if not…I don’t believe it makes a difference.

Flash Hider/Comp: Tromix Shark Break
    Reason: When I stick it in your leg and twist…you’ll squeal and then tell me what I want to hear.

Misc Stuff rail covers etc: DD Ladders
    Reason: Comfort

Gas Piston System: Yes or No: Yes – Adams Arms
    Reason: A. I wanna see how durable they really are. This is a test right? B. I believe…I am not sure, that they are easier to work on in the field. C. LWRC is over priced. D. TNW is still relatively new.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't seem to find any info for that company.
    Larue Markets an identical version of this

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jp0319 View Post
    Larue Markets an identical version of this

I give up, what out of the 9 pages are you quoting me from? I have no context or idea what you are referring to.

Downloads
    Uploads
    quick question stick...

will the aac spr mount install w/out any problems on a lightweight barrel? i know that the mount covers up a small portion of the barrel and i didnt know if it would cause a problem because of the smaller barrel profile.

thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stick, after going back and browsing all the pages in the thread, I have failed to put together a defined list of what ended up in the built rifle. I know you said you would not publish a "list", but maybe it would be a good idea to post at least something in the first post of the thread as a quick reference? Otherwise, I would appreciate a list PMed to me just to satisfy my own curiosities. :) Thanks! Looks good!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiii View Post
    quick question stick...

will the aac spr mount install w/out any problems on a lightweight barrel? i know that the mount covers up a small portion of the barrel and i didnt know if it would cause a problem because of the smaller barrel profile.

thanks

I'm not sure, I haven't tried one myself. While it would engage the threads without any problem, it would create a gap between the thinner barrel and FS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiophiliac View Post
    Stick, after going back and browsing all the pages in the thread, I have failed to put together a defined list of what ended up in the built rifle. I know you said you would not publish a "list", but maybe it would be a good idea to post at least something in the first post of the thread as a quick reference? Otherwise, I would appreciate a list PMed to me just to satisfy my own curiosities. :) Thanks! Looks good!

I think thats a good idea. I need to gather up a final item listing, and come up with the whats and whys. Not everything will be perfect for everyone, and I'm more than willing to admit that not everything is perfect in my own eyes. What I do think we ended up with is a highly effective, and well laid out carbine. The next part will be seeing how well it stands up to a beating.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't seem to find any info for that company.
    I give up, what out of the 9 pages are you quoting me from? I have no context or idea what you are referring to.
    I am sorry stick, some times I post a reply on something I read on page 1 when a thread is 9 deep my bad, I was quoting page 4 post 49 I believe. about the charging handle. You said you were not familiar with the company who supposedly made that charging handle. I was just saying that Larue Markets an Identical charging handle to the one pictured. That was all, again I apoligize.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just click the little orange icons next to the name and it will bring you to the quoted post.

New fangled forum internets stuff..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman
    One of the Sgts pointed out to me that he was recently told of a low
    speed team that ran convoys, and didn't clean their weapons for months
    at a time unless they were involved in a shooting engagement. This is
    not intended to be a slam against guys running convoys, but this is a
    good example of poor leadership and training. How can these guys come
    back and complain when they slather a weapon with CLP, then run around
    with it in the dust for a couple months, let sludge build up and
    congeal, the bitch about weapon issues?!
    Painful truth in this quote from Stick that many soldiers will not admit to.

Great project, Stick.

Downloads
    Uploads
    LL,

Check your PM when you get a chance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anything new Stick?
    -Mitch-