Downloads
    Uploads

A2 bird cage question

Anybody happen to know if a .223 A2 bird cage flash hider and a .308 bird cage flash hider have the same external circumference? I'm thinking that since the barrels for .308 and .223 can be had for .750 gas blocks for both that they might.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not sure of the Outside measurements, but I can tell you that they will have different thread patterns. .223 being 1/2x28 while the .308 is usually 5/8x24.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know the thread patterns are different. Just need to know if the outer dimensions are the same.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There's no standard for 308 bird cages. Depends who's making it. In my experience they are larger. How much larger, I don't know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a standard 223 and 308 A2 sitting here if you want any numbers..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks mustangfreak - could you just take a ruler and measure the diameter of the end of the two bird cages for me? What I'm trying to find out is if an M7 bayonet will slide over the .308 birdcage.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The tolerance on the nato print is .860+.004-.000. The 5/8-24 30 cal version is not an a2 but rather something that looks like an a2. Ive seen examples that do fall inside the diameter tolerance but the grooves are much larger to accomodate the larger id thread.

Interesting point- they seem to suppress flash better in 308 than 556 because the 30 cal unit has the same .343" id hole with the larger 308 bullet. The 5.56 version uses that hole to accept the bfa spigot and probably loses a lot of efficiency for it.

A proper size id hole for 5.56 would be ~ .255" for the purpose of flash suppression.
    Last edited by GRIFFIN ARMAMENT; 12 October 2015 at 10:50.
    Combat vet owned/operated company specializing in the design and manufacturing of industry leading silencers and firearms components. www.GriffinArmament.com PM for WEVO discount code.

Follow us on FACEBOOK
    Follow us on INSTAGRAM
    Follow us on YOUTUBE

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm... might be a good idea to make A2 flash hiders with the .255 id hole. Thanks for the info.