Downloads
    Uploads

Mounting Aero Precision Lightweight Scope Mounts

I just mounted a scope in my second Aero Precision lightweight mount (1", extended). This time, I replaced a set of Leupold rings that came with my Mark AR 1.5-4x24 on my lightweight build. It saved me 2 ouces.

The one one recurring and valid, albeit minor, complaint about the AP mount is that the scope will rotate slightly clockwise as you torque the screws (there are only screws on the bottom and the top inter-locks). This isn't a big deal, but it can mean a few attempts of trial and error to guess how much rotation you should account for. For this combo, you can see in the photo below how far off-level I needed to start off from.

Above is what it looked like with "finger-tight" screws. Below is what it looked like after ~15 in-lbs of torque

I took the setup to the range today and it didn't take but a few clicks to get back to zero.

After mounting my Leupold I then re-checked the mounting of my Swaro Z3 that uses the same style AP mount. I quickly noticed that I was significantly off-level using the same technique so figured I had some cant in my mounting. After messing with it for 20 minutes or so I finally realized that the turret top wasn't perfectly level with the reticle. So, in order to level the reticle to the reciever, I used the bubble level on the receiver and aligned the reticle with a horizontal board on my fence (that I verified was level). This again took a few tries to get right given the rotation as you apply torque, but I eventually got it mounted level. I also took it out to the range today to re-verify zero as this is on my 6.8 SPC deer rifle and I've got an empty tag and at lease one more hunting trip this month.

Anyway, I thought I'd share the one downside to the AP mounts. I think the light weight and excellent quality more than make up for a little hassle in mounting, but it is something you should be aware of and pay close attention to when mounting a scope in these mounts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use a mount like that and it was kind of a pain in the ass to get mounted level. It took several tries, but once it's there it's been nothing but awesome.

I did loctite the screws with blue loctite because they will back out after a bit of shooting. At least mine did. After I added the blue loctite I haven't had not a single issue at all.

I think Slippers makes a leveling tool that is supposed to make it a whole lot easier.

I would definitely buy another Aero mount, but I would also buy a leveler from Slippers as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I use a mount like that and it was kind of a pain in the ass to get mounted level. It took several tries, but once it's there it's been nothing but awesome.

I did loctite the screws with blue loctite because they will back out after a bit of shooting. At least mine did. After I added the blue loctite I haven't had not a single issue at all.

I think Slippers makes a leveling tool that is supposed to make it a whole lot easier.

I would definitely buy another Aero mount, but I would also buy a leveler from Slippers as well.
    Yes, the instructions ( https://aeroprecisionusa.com/media/f...unt-Manual.pdf ) call for blue Loctite. I hadn't applied Loctite when I mounted my Swaro, which is another reason I was verifying that mounting. I used blue painters tape on the outside edge of both rings to keep the scope from slipping longitudinally.

As you can see, my mounting level is a $3 line-level but it actually works quite well for the purpose.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I used the level slippers makes with mine. I left it in place till the screws were tight. Scope did not rotate.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There ...Ok mounts, been running one for a while..setting them up can get irritating of your trying to get it perfectly close- seems to shift/rotate while tightening, mine has worked loose twice ..but overall there decent mounts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine wound up on a .22 because the scope walked on me multiple times. Blue locktite and torqued to the proper 15 inch/lbs. Not a fan of the interlock top on the rings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Mine wound up on a .22 because the scope walked on me multiple times. Blue locktite and torqued to the proper 15 inch/lbs. Not a fan of the interlock top on the rings.
    Damn. I was looking at getting a 30mm "soon" but it sounds like that might not be the best way forward. The 3.1 oz weight and $100 price tag was intriguing, but I was worried about how robust the mount actually is. I planned to bang it around some on the gun it would be going on.

Looks like I might be back on the lookout for a used LT-104 or an ADM (though I just don't dig their larger footprint).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    That's the first real complaint I've heard/read about the mounts (besides the above mentioned rotation during torquing). I'm a big fan of the mounts and am surprised you'd get any slippage if properly mounted. You can go up to 25 in-lbs ( https://aeroprecisionusa.com/media/f...unt-Manual.pdf ) and I've considered lapping them. If I ever have one that walks after being properly mounted I'll call AP and expect them to replace it. I know you know your stuff so maybe I'll put some cheater marks on my mounts just so I can keep an eye on them.

Bobro is still my top choice, but the cost and light weight of the AP mounts mean they've earned a spot on at least two of my builds, generally where weight was a major concern.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine also came loose... but it was because I didn't loctite the screws. Ever since I did that I haven't had a problem one in about a year of use. Let's just say I am big on things keeping zero. It hasn't budged.