Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope mounts

Downloads
    Uploads

Scope mounts

I need some options on a mount. Currently I'm running rings but would, as time goes by, like to replace them. I am running a Vortex 2.5-10x32 with 30mm tube.

I like the optic to be set as low as possible, minimizing height over bore, as well as forward, basing eye relief off of several things, but without too much detail, in the ballpark of "nose to charging handle". As seen below:

Does anyone make a one piece optic mount that'll allow me to keep the optic as forward and as low as it is? I looked at the Larue SPR-S and SPR-E, one of which would certainly work as far as eye relief but I may sacrifice height somewhat. The S is slightly lower but not sure if it'll let me get the forward mount like the E would...which is why I wish I could try some of these out before entering a lengthy cycle of buying and returning til I either find one or give up

I would love it if a forum member trusted me enough to let me cover round trip shipping costs and try out a Larue SPR-S/E -OR- other recommended mount with similar characteristics.

I understand I'll probably be paying $2-300 for the right mount, and I'm willing to do so if it fits the bill. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nightforce unimount, if it has enough cantilever, is ideal. You can get it in several heights, all lower than what Larue/ADM/Bobro offer.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, I'll check that out. I appreciate any and all suggestions....this is one of my weaker knowledge categories

Downloads
    Uploads
    With a 32mm (OD) objective, I believe you would require a minimum of about 17mm of height from top of rail to center of ring; half the diameter of the objective plus clearance. I don't think you will find mounts that low. Most mounts run 1.5" or 38.1mm. As Will posted above, Nightforce Unimount comes in three heights 28.575mm 34.925mm and the 38.1mm. The 28.575mm Unimount should work. That is their A190 version (1.125") and it has 20MOA built in - a nice feature. Your scope has 4 inches of eye relief, so location on the rail should provide what you desire for shooting.

Having said that, I would not drop that kind of coin without a conversation with Nightforce techies (via email or phone) to be absolutely certain it will work in your situation.

Last thought - mounting your scope that low may not allow a rear BUIS.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    The other thing to consider is how you squash your head down low enough to look through the scope. I've used the 1.375" version with a NF 2.5-10x32, and it was simply too low for me to be comfortable. I like a solid, snug cheek weld, but I really had to press my face down on the stock. Must be my Asian cheeks. :)
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Scope mounts

Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    The other thing to consider is how you squash your head down low enough to look through the scope. I've used the 1.375" version with a NF 2.5-10x32, and it was simply too low for me to be comfortable. I like a solid, snug cheek weld, but I really had to press my face down on the stock. Must be my Asian cheeks. :)
    You just need some fat white boy cheeks like me. 😊

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    You just need some fat white boy cheeks like me. 😊
    Just use the PEPR Mount! LOL

Former, I wish I had a LaRue Mount to have you check out. All I can offer is an ADM or Bobro.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been informed of your fondness for the PEPR mount.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    With a 32mm (OD) objective, I believe you would require a minimum of about 17mm of height from top of rail to center of ring; half the diameter of the objective plus clearance. I don't think you will find mounts that low. Most mounts run 1.5" or 38.1mm. As Will posted above, Nightforce Unimount comes in three heights 28.575mm 34.925mm and the 38.1mm. The 28.575mm Unimount should work. That is their A190 version (1.125") and it has 20MOA built in - a nice feature. Your scope has 4 inches of eye relief, so location on the rail should provide what you desire for shooting.

Having said that, I would not drop that kind of coin without a conversation with Nightforce techies (via email or phone) to be absolutely certain it will work in your situation.

Last thought - mounting your scope that low may not allow a rear BUIS.

Basically back up iron sights are not in the works for this one. I took some rough measurements with my calipers; from the top of the upper receiver to the middle of the 30mm tube was 1.05". The 1.125" unimount would only increase height by .075"....not super significant.

Slippers: not sure how but it just works. I've always had a decent time conforming to most setups: from M16A2 stocks and irons to fully collapsed M4s with red dots and franken rifles with really low scopes

UWone77, I'll check out their mounts...sounds like you have a wide assortment to choose from lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Just use the PEPR Mount.
    I just dumped the P.E.P.R. I do like how the return zero means there is zero chance you will hit the paper again. Last on and off, resulted in a 5x6 MOA shift. The new Bobro is a nice piece of work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been very happy with the ADM Recon X as I also shoot nose to charging handle.

That said, if there is no urgency I'd wait to see the new Geissele mount that they posted on FB. It'll likely be released after SHOT but everything they build is very well thought out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    +1 on the Geissele mount

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Nice glass.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    Nice glass.
    Thank you sir! I love it and recommend it to anyone who asks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    I've been informed of your fondness for the PEPR mount.
    Is that the infamous RPEP mount? What's the story on the PEPR? Too tacticool with the holes or something?
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!