Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BCM does 300BLK

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree, I think it has the potential to be a mainstream loading but will never go significantly down in price until a) they start selling them at Walmart in bulk packs of b) a large military branch adopts it

I'll admit if I wasn't so heavily invested in the AR platform I would have just gotten an 7.62 AK

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    I agree, I think it has the potential to be a mainstream loading but will never go significantly down in price until a) they start selling them at Walmart in bulk packs of b) a large military branch adopts it

I'll admit if I wasn't so heavily invested in the AR platform I would have just gotten an 7.62 AK
    I agree on the ammo situation.

As for getting an AK47, i'd love to have a cheap one to sling shitloads of cheap steel cased ammo through just for fun, but even cheap AKs aren't that cheap these days. And all that cheap 7.62x39 is supersonic, so the fun of shooting suppressed subs wouldn't be there. Plus, the AK lacks the modularity of the AR, where i can have one (or several ) registered SBR lower(s) and swap uppers between 5.56, 300BLK, etc. and in effect have more SBRs than tax stamps.
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    I love BCM but frankly am surprised they added .300 to their lineup. The 6.8 SPC would have made a lot more sense for their "Gunfighter" branding. The .300 BLK seems more like it came from the same marketing mentality that brought us the "BCM Timepiece".

Don't get me wrong, I have a .300 BLK and love it and it is my primary HD weapon, but if how I made my living entailed kicking in doors or having people shoot at me from more than 100 yards away, I'd take a 6.8 over a .300 BLK in a heartbeat. The 6.8 has military customers (which is driving 6.8 ammo prices way down, BTW) and I'd be surprised if the .300 BLK ever gains military acceptance/legitimacy. Where the .300 BLK makes sense is when you want to modernize and step up from an MP5SD (so, yeah, it's better than a 9mm!!), so it has legitimate LEO and limited MIL applications, but I just don't think it qualifies as a real "gunfighter" cartridge, at least not in my image of the branding BCM has successfully built up in my mind to date.

I'm hoping BCM will eventually study some ballistics charts and come out with a 6.8.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The 300BLK has become my primary HD weapon as well. And in that capacity, it does it's job quite well. It definitely wouldn't be my first choice for a fighting weapon requiring effectiveness beyond 150 meters. Especially shooting subs, which was why i was primarily interested in the 300BLK to begin with.

One of these days, i'm going to build a 6.8 gun. Looks like a great cartridge from everything i've read about it.
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some foreign countries have adopted their own platforms in 300 blackout..one can only wish they would start making butt loads of cheap brass stuff or steel case stuff for blasting

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Some foreign countries have adopted their own platforms in 300 blackout..one can only wish they would start making butt loads of cheap brass stuff or steel case stuff for blasting
    Source? I'm skeptical because if it were true the 300 BLK fanbois would have the Wikipedia page updated in 5 seconds. The Dutch appeared to be interested in purchasing a whopping 195 carbines last summer and I think a lot of people wet their pants when Jane's published the news article. Internet rumors suggest that a few SOF units have a few Blackouts in inventory, but that is hardly surprising or particularly meaningful as those units frequently have a large selection of firearms at their disposal. It doesn't mean they actually get used much. The fact that Federal makes a 220gr OTM subsonic round suggest that there is some government demand, but it is still going for 85 cents a round or higher.

Downloads
    Uploads
    300 BLK didn't make much sense to me until I saw a video of a guy shooting subs with a can and ringing steel. It just looked as fun as heck.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As a new comer to the 300 I'll admit it's a niche cartridge. But it does an excellent job in role if you know its limitations. It really shines as a suppressed PDW IMHO