Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

The "new" Noveske?

I haven't bought a Noveske product since before Mr. Noveske died...until recently. So this isn't meant to be a blast on the company, but an honest question on what's "normal" and whether I should worry about this...

I have a 2010-ish N4 upper that's been the cat's pajamas. It's been put on multiple lowers, including a 2010-ish blem lower (before they had "Chainsaw" products). The upper has fit on all the lowers I've tried without issues (Noveske, Spike's, JD Machine, Colt).

Due to a recent injury, I've had a new (2015) Chainsaw Gen 1 Noveske lower awaiting buildup to go on the upper mentioned before. Today I finally had a chance to put the parts together and see how it fit. First up, I noticed hammer pin holes were very tight. Normally I can take a SSA pin and push it most of the way in without much help (maybe a little tapping), but this lower seemed to be more tight than normal (similar experience for the trigger pin).

Then I tried to put the lower on the upper and I can't even get the rear take-down pin to go into the upper lug hole. It will go into the lower holes just fine without the upper, but once the upper is in there, it seems like the lower holes are drilled *just* a tad too high from spec. I can tap on the pin with a mallet and get it to go in, but there's no way I can get the take-down pin out without a mallet and a punch, no matter how much I push down on the upper.

So here's the question... I've always understood Chainsaw products to still be in spec, but just have blemishes. I'm completely fine with blemishes (there were many on my lower, but I don't really care). But it should still be in spec, right? ESPECIALLY with a Noveske upper, right?

Just trying to figure out if this is worth my time to pursue...Or maybe I'm just being a drama llama...though a llama should be able to breakdown an AR without the need of tools. Okay, maybe an above-average llama.
    Last edited by gatordev; 21 November 2015 at 18:16. Reason: Grammar

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had some problems with the last couple of products I got from them. I would contact them, they fixed the issues I had.
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Post Johnny Noveske and especially since Sheri left has been less than impressive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hell, I have three rifles built on Gen 1 Noveske lowers. ALL are "less than impressive" relative to fit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm really just wondering who is left at Noveske to innovate new products.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I'm really just wondering who is left at Noveske to innovate new products.
    Since I'm not a stock holder, I don't really care about innovation, just basic fit and function. I'm sure the system will function okay, but makes it a bitch to take apart and service. Fit is super tight, but that's not really a concern in the real world (my Colts are loosey-goosey). I just hate having to beat on things to make them operate (field strip) according to spec.

I'll try and give them a call this week, if I have time. I just don't really want to have to get a new lower, plus FFL/state fees, for something that I had good faith to be in spec in the first place.

Okay, maybe now the llama is getting the best of me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Since I'm not a stock holder, I don't really care about innovation, just basic fit and function. I'm sure the system will function okay, but makes it a bitch to take apart and service. Fit is super tight, but that's not really a concern in the real world (my Colts are loosey-goosey). I just hate having to beat on things to make them operate (field strip) according to spec.

I'll try and give them a call this week, if I have time. I just don't really want to have to get a new lower, plus FFL/state fees, for something that I had good faith to be in spec in the first place.

Okay, maybe now the llama is getting the best of me.
    Well fine... no innovation, enjoy your crappy fit and finish.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My new gen 3 upper was also extremely tight on my gen 2 Lower. I even asked on here if it might be out of spec as well. I worked with it over the last month and it's broken in. It's still tight but nothing like it was

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some of the Gen 3 stuff may be tight due to Noveske possibly not taking into account the added Cerakote.
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads

The "new" Noveske?

My best guess since I've seen this complaint pretty consistently from people who've recently bought from them is that one of their jigs is probably off a fraction of a MM or two.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hopefully they'll get their stuff straightened up, they've been getting more and more negative reviews lately. But who knows, the negative reviews don't seem to be hurting their sales.
    flickr
    facebook

Downloads
    Uploads

The "new" Noveske?

I'm hoping a little bit of negativity will go a long way over there

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's the last Gen 1 Chainsaw I've had for awhile partially built. This one hasn't had any spec issues so far, but obviously not done.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's the last Gen 1 Chainsaw I've had for awhile partially built. This one hasn't had any spec issues so far, but obviously not done.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

Bolt catch seems to have flown out of spec.