Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wsaraceni View Post
    based on my limited experience with Mega arms billet parts (a whopping 2 sets) i can't say i'd be upset by a mega manufactured Noveske set. I wonder who is making the rails now.
    Yeah, I could think of worse things than Have Mega Arms produce your receivers. :) Their machining is second to none.

My issue with Noveske isn't so much as my receiver sets don't perfectly match, or my barrel isn't concentric to the bore. Everyone puts out a lemon once in awhile.

But who is coming up with new products or innovation there now?

Can't just slap a name on the logo forever.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    Funny you should bring this up. My SMOS GFY set fit each other perfectly, but don't fit other uppers/lower for shit. My factory built Gen 3 Noveske actually is MORE compatible with other uppers/lowers than the SMOS. Noveske bashing is the fashionable thing to do these days. Just as it's fashionable to be goo-goo ga-ga over SMOS right now. Which is amusing as hell, since there's a good chance that the Noveske parts people are bitching about were probably made by SMOS; and from my sample of one, the SMOS parts exhibit the same issues the Noveske whiners are carrying on about. Can't make this shit up.
    thanks for the info. This is kinda what I was asking. Im still a Noveske fanboy but would love a SMOS piece as well. (what i'd really like is an Erathr3 matched set without the skeletonized magwell).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Yeah, I could think of worse things than Have Mega Arms produce your receivers. :) Their machining is second to none.

My issue with Noveske isn't so much as my receiver sets don't perfectly match, or my barrel isn't concentric to the bore. Everyone puts out a lemon once in awhile.

id have no way of knowing if the barrel is concentric to the bore. I just hope that there is LESS chance of that happening with noveske than with a brand that cost 1/4 as much. But who knows. At least I've never seen them not follow through and make things right when people had complaints.

My complaint is on the opposite side now. I'm not quite sure what new products and innovations they should come up with. I mean they have a great design billet lower (gen3) set and a forged set (gen1). Their roll-mark is the one of the best in the industry (call my shallow but i don't want a stupid penis squishing a bug on the side of my gun). The NSR is great. If they come out with the NHR and NQR that still mounts off of a NSR barrel nut that would be even better. And i think they at least started that route. They seem to be integrating the switch block into the NSR rail. They have a 308 coming out for people that dig that stuff.

I get that noveske brought to market, or at least was early adopters of a lot of stuff (keymod), the end plate quick detach, the switch block) but their biggest negative was always stocking product. I'd be happy with them figuring out a way to keep all the NSR lengths in stock (or the 13.5" and F the rest of you that need different lengths), and keeping receivers in stock, while still putting out plenty of complete guns.

The only thing they are missing is a "lightweight" receiver set like the 2a bailos or the erathr3 set, but both of those companies offer that.

im not seeing where there is much more innovation going besides rebranding more stuff. when you look at the market as a whole, there isn't a lot of "new" stuff coming out. My friend has a umbrella corp billet lower that has a way of holding the bolt open when you push the mag release. is something like that "innovative" or just another feature on a 60 year old design.

If anything, i'd like to see a run of 20" m16a2 spec rifles with the iron cross on the side

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I purchased my Gen 2 rifle it was during a time when it seemed a new gun ban could be around any corner. I wanted a rifle that I would be happy with if it were the last rifle I could ever buy. And it is that.

While it had the just released NSR rail, that wasn't really the reason. It was more than Noveske was paying just a little more attention to each detail than a lot of other folks. Maybe not in any way that really mattered in a huge way, but the NSR rail was a sign of their desire to make things better. Their barrels. The flared forged lower. Well sourced mil spec parts. Their fitment. The DRIVE of the founder to build no BS stuff that *worked*.

The bottom line is you could buy with confidence that you were not just going to get a rifle that ran well, but ran well, fit well and had a bit of flare. In short, a rifle you'd he happy with if it were the last rifle you could every buy. One you'd be willing to stake your life on.

Unfortunately, I think it was John's drive to ensure things were stake-your-life-on-it quality that held things together. The magic smoke was let out of the box with his passing. Perhaps Noveske will find some new magic. It need not be the same magic as before. Or maybe it won't.

Innovation was one part of the old magic, and I do value it. Maybe we don't NEED titanium gas blocks and barrel nuts, ambi and lightweight parts, better rail designs, but I'm glad there are still companies out there looking to push things forward. Today I look at BAD, V7, AXTS and that combination of innovation and quality is still out there.

-john

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very interesting about MEGA/Noveske...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
    Back in the John days, all rifles and upper/lower sets were hand fitted for perfect tolerance. If you buy a single upper/lower, it's game on as far as fitment goes. This is nothing new. You don't like it? Buy a Colt. Guaranteed to fit and be loose as a goose.
    I don't know I'd agree with that. My Johnny days lower fits both Noveske and other uppers just fine with a nice fit but that doesn't require a punch. My new Noveske lower doesn't even fit a Noveske upper (albeit from Johnny days) without some not inconsequential tapping both ways.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    I don't know I'd agree with that. My Johnny days lower fits both Noveske and other uppers just fine with a nice fit but that doesn't require a punch. My new Noveske lower doesn't even fit a Noveske upper (albeit from Johnny days) without some not inconsequential tapping both ways.
    I agree. Most of my rifles are from the John days, they certainly weren't hand fitted for perfect tolerances.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I dunno, Colt's been doing it for years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by din View Post
    I dunno, Colt's been doing it for years.
    Colt has military contracts, they could get away with it for awhile.

Now they're fighting their way out of bankruptcy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know, just being a smartass.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Someone didn't get their coffee this morning.

But I hear what you're saying.
    No, i hadn't had my coffee yet. In fact, i'd been up all night.

Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    LOL! I need one of those mugs!
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    LOL! I need one of those mugs!
    I saw them a long time ago and I thought they were hilarious!

You can google it and they have a ton of different styles that say the same thing.

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree 100%. The "old" Noveske innovated. I'd love to see them innovate again.

And i'd heard a rumor after SHOT that Noveske was going to start having their receivers made by a industry leader but never heard a name mentioned. Mega popped to mind, and i'm glad that's the case. Every Mega piece i own is exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by wsaraceni View Post
    thanks for the info. This is kinda what I was asking. Im still a Noveske fanboy but would love a SMOS piece as well. (what i'd really like is an Erathr3 matched set without the skeletonized magwell).
    You're welcome. I hope my comments don't paint the wrong picture. I'm not complaining about either Noveske or SMOS. I'm quite happy with both, despite neither one being perfect or 100% compatible with other products. If i wanted 100% compatibility, i'd have bought milspec parts from a company that produces to the TDP. Even then, one has to expect the occasional variances or tolerance stacking issues that will cause compatibility problems. That said, i have 100% confidence in both and would trust my life to them.
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, did noveske confirm mega or no? I didn't see it if so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow I really hope Noveske/Mega partnership is in the works. A mega gen 3 set with a branded wedgelock rail would be a thing of beauty