I have never really ran a red dot on anything so I am asking the guys with a bit more insight and experience to share their opinions.

Here is the question...assume I pick a really good red dot, lets say an Aimpoint T1 or something along those lines. However I see there are several different ways to mount it. I see people mounting them at all different places along the rail at all different heights. Specifically I am asking about a 1x with a 4 moa dot, but no need to limit the discussion to just that. What about dots with magnification? Would they be done any differently?

The discussion or opinions I would like to have is why you put your mounts where they are and why did you pick the height you picked?

I am sure a lot of it is preference but are there merits to doing it one way vs another?

I see people with their dots right on the rail. I also see people with tall mounts. Basically the two parameters are height and placement.

My thought is that shooting with a 1x dot in a dynamic environment is a different school entirely than shooting with a scope.

Thanks!