Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I started off with Lee dies, but less than 200 in with sizing, I started getting scratches on the brass. So I cleaned, buffed, and no go. Looked with a lupe and saw a couple of small gouges. No idea how - everything was cleaned before sizing. So I sent them off but a few days ago I had lunch with a friend/former co-worker and our chat turned to guns (as usual!) and when I mentioned 357Sig he winced... seems he looked into it, but it's a little bit of a pain to load and he decided it wasn't worth it. So for the price of lunch, I got his Dillon carbide dies! These loads I tested today were made with them. Even being carbide, they still need to be lubed, according to an email I got from Dillon, asking about just that very question.

setback is a big issue with the 357Sig - there is a small neck to retain the bullet with tension. Even just a tiny bit too much crimp, and you lose tension and you can push the bullet back into the case with very little pressure. I probably blew thru 50 bullets making dummy loads getting everything set just right. It's amazing how 1/10 or a turn on a crimp can make it go from only 5 pounds of pressure to push in the bullet, to almost 40 pounds. I found that an extreme minimal expanded neck, with a solid chamfer job, with juuuuuuust enough crimp to remove the expansion was the ticket. But it took 50 or so dummy loads to get it right.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice score on the Dillon dies! I've read that 357Sig can be a bit finicky to reload. It won't stop me from trying. But since i'm a reloading newbie, i think i'll get proficient with something easier to load first. Thanks for the info, Jim.
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    No worries. When you get to that point, let me know. I certainly learned a lot and have some good info to pass along that will help you. This week I'm going to load a couple hundred up and jst verify everything and at that point I'll be dialed in provided nothing happen
    Jim
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  DSCN0954.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  305.7 KB
    Jim