Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SPR-ish

Downloads
    Uploads

SPR-ish

My SPR-ish build is finally coming to fruition. I picked up a WOA 18" SPR barrel and Geissele SD-E during the Black Friday sales.

Receivers are Mega. BCM gunfighter furniture on the lower. ALG EMR V2 handguard for now, potentially to be replaced by either the BCM KMR or Mega Wedgelock in the future. The only issue so far was it took some abrasives and elbow grease to fit the gas block to the WOA barrel. Apparently WOA has a reputation for being a bit oversize on the gas journal. That was a little annoying but a brake cylinder hone helped quite a bit.

I've got a Vortex Viper HS LR 2.5-10x32 that I should be able to mount once my Bobro shows up next week then I'll take her for a spin.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's a nice looking rifle, looking forward to hearing how she shoots. Next time for match grade barrels you may want to consider a Rainier Arms low profile match grade gas block. These gas blocks are specifically made to fit match grade barrels.

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-...gas-block-8042
    DEUTERONOMY 6:5
    flickr
    facebook
    The gift of mental power comes from God, Divine Being, and if we concentrate our minds on that truth, we become in tune with this great power - Nikola Telsa

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice!

Walmart sells Rustoleum flat camo spray paint for the finishing touches.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GOST View Post
    That's a nice looking rifle, looking forward to hearing how she shoots. Next time for match grade barrels you may want to consider a Rainier Arms low profile match grade gas block. These gas blocks are specifically made to fit match grade barrels.

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-...gas-block-8042
    Thank you. I'll post updates after I get her to the range next weekend. Yes, I learned of that Rainier "match" gas block after hitting the initial snag. None in stock, though and I had already purchased the Geissele Super Block during the PA Black Friday sale. Once I started honing it I didn't really want to give up as I figure I'm more or less ruined it for use on other builds. After I've validated the build I'll probably have someone with the proper tooling pin the gas block for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Nice!

Walmart sells Rustoleum flat camo spray paint for the finishing touches.
    I have to admit that despite really wanting to do that, I can't quite bring myself to rattle can any of my builds. Some day I'll either get over it or use it as an excuse to build one just for painting! I'm handy with an airbrush, too, so I need to look into what possibilities that may open up for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice looking Rifle. I'm a fan of those ALG Handguards, price is right too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    My SPR-ish build is finally coming to fruition. I picked up a WOA 18" SPR barrel and Geissele SD-E during the Black Friday sales.

Receivers are Mega. BCM gunfighter furniture on the lower. ALG EMR V2 handguard for now, potentially to be replaced by either the BCM KMR or Mega Wedgelock in the future. The only issue so far was it took some abrasives and elbow grease to fit the gas block to the WOA barrel. Apparently WOA has a reputation for being a bit oversize on the gas journal. That was a little annoying but a brake cylinder hone helped quite a bit.
    I like your style. I've got the WOA and an 13" EMR v1 on mine. If you ever think about getting rid of your V2, let me know.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Made it to the range today, mainly just for a function check. Put about 55 rounds through with no problems. Maybe slightly overgassed with brass landing around betwen 1 and 2 o'clock. I was actually concerned I'd end up a bit undergassed due to having to hand fit the gas block and honing it out a bit more than intended or needed.

Here it is mounted with my PST 1-4 for initial testing.

This was my first time shooting with a flat bow trigger and I can say that I immediately loved the SD-E, at least for bench/bipod shooting.

I did lap the upper receiver face and I think that might have helped in getting two different scope to be on paper and within 1-3 inches of zero for my first shots at 50 yards. I mounted my Z3 and took it out to 100 yards.

One quick kudo for the Aero Precision ultralight mount: even though they aren't QD, it only takes a minute or two to mount or remove with the included Torx driver, and my RTZ so far has been outstanding.

No particularly impressive groups today but I wasn't trying too hard and the wind was gust between 5 and 15 mp. A shot group at 100 yds of Wolf Gold was all within about an inch of elevation but strung out at about 3 inches horizontally. I suspect that was a combination of the gusting winds and my poor control cant.

The Gunfighter stock made a good first impression, too. Pretty good cheek weld and works well with a rear bag.

It's also the first time I've shot a rifle length gas system in years. I was very happy with the soft recoil, especially as I've been shooting a lot of 6.8 out of a 16" carbine lately.

I think it will be a while before I really form an opinion of the EMR v2. While I generally like the look, and the price point certainly makes it a compelling choice, it may be a bit skinny for my tastes. But I need more range time with it and to do something other than shoot off bags. I can't say I liked the installation procedure, either. I made the whopping $35 investment for a good torque wrench so I'd rather be able to use.

Not too much to report, really, but it's always a bit of relief when a new build functions as expected. My Bobro should be here for my Viper HS LR 2.5-10x32 this week so hopefully I can get back out next week and get that dialed in with some match ammo.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How's the cheek weld in that first picture? I like Bobro stuff but I just can't abide the height over bore. Maybe if I had a 50mm objective and needed the clearance but with a 24-32mm obj lens it's like 2.5"+ from center of the tube to bore. It does look like that extended version provides more than enough clearance for proper eye relief though, which is a plus.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    How's the cheek weld in that first picture? I like Bobro stuff but I just can't abide the height over bore. Maybe if I had a 50mm objective and needed the clearance but with a 24-32mm obj lens it's like 2.5"+ from center of the tube to bore. It does look like that extended version provides more than enough clearance for proper eye relief though, which is a plus.
    I think you are overthinking it. There is no problem with the Bobro or the AP because they both put the centerline of the optic at 1.5" above the rail (= 2.6" above bore), which is the same plane as iron sights on a carbine. In other words, that's what the rifle was designed for. Objective lens size is pretty much irrelevant. It looks a little odd, but since the stock is in line with the bore, it works. If you have a small head, you might wish the sight plane on the AR was one or two tenths of an inch lower, but much below 1.3" above the rail and you won't be able to squish your face low enough on the stock to get a good repeatable picture through the optic.

While this "feature" of the AR may seem like a shortcoming, it's actually part of the genius of the design, IMO. With an AR, the sight plane is generally the same whether you have an optic or not. HK roller-locks are a good example of what happens on platforms that take a different approach. The series features dropped stocks in order to keep iron sights very close to the bore. The effects are that you have a moment arm on your recoil and you'll need a cheek riser for any optics. Here is the same scope and mount on a PTR91:

BTW, I'm putting a Viper HS LR 2.5-10x32 just like your on this rifle as soon as my Bobr shows up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Objective lens isn't irrelevant if you have to clear the bell, in which case a higher set of rings or mount is required, and that's what I was referring to...didn't convey the thought well I guess. Obviously with such a small objective, it's not an issue. I guess it's just the angle of the picture which makes it look like its sitting very high. And a low optic in the prone isn't an issue because of the angle your head/neck/body, but if you're sitting on a bench your alignment is much different so I can see where squishing down behind it would be difficult.

Thanks for the reply. I pose the questions because I'm still stuck on using rings vs a one piece; I haven't found one that offers what I'm looking for. My 2.5-10x32 Vortex sits at 1 1/8" center to rail...Though I'd take a slightly higher mount if I could keep the same eye relief. My current setup has allows me to shoot as accurately as I wanted with this build and more, and if I can improve upon that by giving the scope an even better platform, I'd like to

Downloads
    Uploads
    To clarify my comment, I say that objective size is pretty much irrelevant because with the standard 1.5" above the rail you need greater than a 75mm objective before you have to worry about the bell breaking the plane of the top rail. But I guess I'd also add that when you take position behind your rifle and get a good cheek weld, the height of your eyeballs above your cheek bone is a function of your skull, not the scope size. How you position your skull on the stock likely changes a bit for different shooting positions but I doubt you'll vary that measurement by more than a quarter inch, if that, from prone to standing. Which, btw, would mean your POI may shift from positions if you can't maintain the same cheek weld across positions. On the Ge/HK91, objective size is very important because you have to use a cheek riser for any optic since you will always be raising the sight plane above that for the irons.

I'm curious, though, are you uncomfortable shooting with irons on the AR? I ask because 1 1/8" seems really low. I think I'd have a hard time getting much below 1 1/4" (although I do have a big head). I think dropping to 1 1/8 would force me to compromise my cheek weld, but I'm just guessing.

For reference, check out pictures of military Mk12 / SPRs. They generally use ARMS Mk22 High rings (1.45" above rail) for SPRs that don't have the SWAN rail and Medium rings on top of the SWAN put the optic at 1.65" above the receiver rail (I bet you could get by with low rings for a 32mm objective).

I do like the cantilever of the Bobro mounts as that gives me lots of room to work with to find the right eye relief, so I buy the extended mounts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I learned to shoot on M16A2/A4s with fixed stocks and irons. I can adapt to most platforms I get behind, and don't have a choice with my "recce"'platform with ACOG and fixed mount, but my preference is low and forward. I don't think I have a small or large head...wore a 7 3/8 PC.

I appreciate the feedback and convo

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bobro came today, thanks to Bauer Precision (excellent service, BTW). Vortex Viper HS LR 2.5-10x32 FFP mounted up for a little yuletide joy

The anti-joy is that one of the screws that holds the EMR to the barrel nut refuses to start right and wants to cross thread.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just for future issues. Barrel in freezer for an hour and warm gas block to 250-300* and it will slide right on those oversized WAO journals.