Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SPR-ish

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Just for future issues. Barrel in freezer for an hour and warm gas block to 250-300* and it will slide right on those oversized WAO journals.
    I had read that and considered it. I actually started off by heating up the gas block with a heat gun, but the outcome of that was that I got the gas block closer to the journal but then it locked up well before getting in position and I had to apply substantial force (read "he hit it with a hammer") to get the gas block back off. Ultimately, I suspect that I'll be taking this gas block back off to swap handguards in the future so I wanted to set myself up for success in that endeavor. So, I'm pretty happy with the path I chose, especially since there are no signs of gas leakage around the gas block which was my biggest concern. As an added benefit, I garnered some more experience in the realm of fitting gas blocks. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    More range time today with the new scope.

Pretty quick to zero. Was able to get about 1.25" five-shot groups out of two different factory loads (Hornady 68gr BTHP and Black HIlls 77gr OTM). Four out of five with the Black Hills were within 3/4", so I think the potential is there. Again, I'm a good, not great, shooter.

Very enjoyable to shoot. No malfs but ejection pattern is indicating the system is a little over gassed.

I'll push it out to 200 yards next time and run a few more types of ammo. I've got some PPU Match 75gr HPBT and Fiocci Exacta 77gr SMK on the way. I'm hoping the PPU does well since it's cheap.
    Last edited by BoilerUp; 20 December 2015 at 16:31.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Build turned out nice, those scopes are nice for the money.. Recently played with one at cabelas while they were in a killer sale..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also look at CBC 77gr OTM. Great price.

My rifles hated 68gr pills; If you were closer I'd give you the ~30 some odd Black Hills 68gr BTHPs I've got left. My 18" rifle took to 77gr Sierra Tipped Match Kings, which is good because I'd bought a 500ct pack of bullets on sale a while back

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Also look at CBC 77gr OTM. Great price.

My rifles hated 68gr pills; If you were closer I'd give you the ~30 some odd Black Hills 68gr BTHPs I've got left. My 18" rifle took to 77gr Sierra Tipped Match Kings, which is good because I'd bought a 500ct pack of bullets on sale a while back
    I achieved one my be best 5-shot 100 yard groups so far (~0.9") with this rifle with the CBC ammo. Went to buy more at PSA and they sold out before I completed my order I shot a 1 5/8" 5-shot group at 200 yards with the Fiocci Exacta 77gr SMK and was getting pretty good results with the PPU Match 75gr so I ordered more of both. I want to try out the IMI Razorback 77 gr OTM, too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What is the twist rate of your barrel? Have you tried any Federal Gold Medal Match?

Downloads
    Uploads
    1:7. Too cheap to buy the GMM right now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you want me to get you some locally, I've always seen it in store at PSA. Granted....people might be making a run on supplies at the moment. Just let me know...if you want to, shoot me a PM

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been impressed with groups of IMI in my MK12. I haven't had a chance to take it out to distance yet, but in a month that should change. SGAmmo has it back in stock, I think. If not, I'm guessing he'll get it back soon. CBC has shot well for me, as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I couldn't leave well enough alone and took advantage of the ROGTac sale to pick up a BCM 15" KMR-A to replace my EMR v2 on my SPR-ish build. I think now I'll just have to call it a Recce-ish build.

Initial impressions of the KMR-A are over-the-top good. I love the mounting system plus the look and feel of the rail. I just couldn't get excited about the EMR - I hate the mounting system, was not digging the round profile, and I've pretty much decided to dump M-LOK. I may keep the EMR for a 6.8 hunting upper, but I'll probably sell it.

All is not well, though. What you can't see in the picture above is that the aft cross bolt is sheered. I over torqued it, much to my surprise since I was just using the included wrench. I had to drill out the stub from the other side to get the hardware off and now all the money I saved from the ROGTac sale (and then some) will have to go towards buying replacement mounting hardware. Just as well, I guess, as it gives me an excuse to order a few more things from BCM that have been on my list for a while.

Also, the Geissele Super Block gas block appears to be making contact with rail on the built up area of the gas block that supports the cross-pin. I'll probably just file that down instead of replacing it since I had to hone the block it to get it to fit on the WOA barrel.

Downloads
    Uploads
    good looking build ! that is my next project SPR/ MK12

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Very nicely done Sir !

If you get a chance, what is the outside diameter of the ocular housing, and what is the distance from the top of the rail to the bottom of the ocular - how much clearance? The eyepiece looks nice and fat, and I am wondering about rear BUIS clearance. I have a scope coming with a large ocular, and I am researching mounts. Is your BoBro one of the 30mm 20MOA cantilever? They show a couple of those mounts - one at 1.485" and one at 1.575" rail to centerline. It looks like you have plenty of room for a BUIS.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Very nicely done Sir !

If you get a chance, what is the outside diameter of the ocular housing, and what is the distance from the top of the rail to the bottom of the ocular - how much clearance? The eyepiece looks nice and fat, and I am wondering about rear BUIS clearance. I have a scope coming with a large ocular, and I am researching mounts. Is your BoBro one of the 30mm 20MOA cantilever? They show a couple of those mounts - one at 1.485" and one at 1.575" rail to centerline. It looks like you have plenty of room for a BUIS.
    Jerry,
    Tons of room for a BUIS:

Optic is Vortex HS-LR 2.5-10x32 with an occular bell 1.63in in diameter ( https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...r8xkjvf-X2.jpg )
    The Bobro is their standard 30mm extended (0 MOA cant) with a centerline just over 1.575" above the rail ( http://www.bobroengineering.com/view/product/8/ )

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, I might actually have this thing done now. My replacement KMR mounting hardware came quickly from BCM and I finally got my gas block issue resolved with a Sentry 7 set-screw that is over bored by .002

Now I just need to get to range and see if it actually shoots.