Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SPR-ish

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great looking rifle!!!!! What are you planning on feeding it? I think it'd look complete with a bipod but that's just me

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Great looking rifle!!!!! What are you planning on feeding it? I think it'd look complete with a bipod but that's just me
    Thanks! I've got a Harris for it, I just need to get a KeyMod bipod mount. Probably going to go with the DD.

I'm still figuring out which factory ammo it likes best (I'm not reloading yet). I've got some IMI 69gr and 77gr SMK, as well as Outback 69gr SMK, to try next time I head out. For "bench-plinking" I've got 75 gr PPU Match that does reasonably well for the price and I got some good results with the Fiocci Exacta 77gr SMK (sub MOA @ 200 yards - my best 5-shot 200 yard group ever). I'm a decent shooter, but not a great one, so I can't always tell if my less-than-brag-worthy groups are the result of the ammo, the rifle, or the shooter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    Jerry,
    Tons of room for a BUIS:
    Thanks - much appreciated !!
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    A few more configuration changes. Picked up the DD KeyMod bipod mount, and swapped out some of the furniture from one of my carbines so I can run the B5 SOPMOD and an Ergo grip on the SPR-ish build and run the Gunfigther furniture on my carbine. I really like the GF furniture, but found the grip doesn't work well for my style of bench/precision shooting. Also, the GF stock was ripping out my beard and I like the cheekweld on the SOPMOD better.

I'll get it out to the range tomorrow and see if I think this is an improvement

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks killer now. I like the B5 SOPMOD more and more every time I use it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I in no way intend to come of glib or step on anyones' toes, but I genuinely do not understand why people seem to like heavy barrels. I've read tons of opinions, and understand why some people theorize that they are more suitable for a rifle, but my practical experiencs--limited compared to some here as it may be--has my position favoring the opposite end of the spectrum. Is it just a school of doctrine issue? Have any of you who like the heavy barrels tried shooting pencil barrels and vice versa? Again, I don't intend to cause any emotional reactions. I'm purely curious and interested in any responses given.
    Sturgill Simpson - You can have the Crown https://youtu.be/tNV16tz1NK0

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DUX View Post
    I in no way intend to come of glib or step on anyones' toes, but I genuinely do not understand why people seem to like heavy barrels. I've read tons of opinions, and understand why some people theorize that they are more suitable for a rifle, but my practical experiencs--limited compared to some here as it may be--has my position favoring the opposite end of the spectrum. Is it just a school of doctrine issue? Have any of you who like the heavy barrels tried shooting pencil barrels and vice versa? Again, I don't intend to cause any emotional reactions. I'm purely curious and interested in any responses given.
    That's a government profile barrel. A true "heavy" barrel is thicker, .936 at the GB.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @UWone77: Understood, and thank you. However, the whole of the Vietnam War was fought with pencil barrels. Most AK's have pencil barrels. Throughout 20th century history most barrels have been pencil barrels. They've done an amazing job. They have taken out more bad-guys than any other kind. Why the fascination with more weight? I can understand that perhaps a sniper or some such might like one, but the AR isn't a Sniper grade weapons platform from everything I've come to understand about it. To me, it just seems like needless weight, and weight is a big deal for a combat weapon. Please expound if you desire.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @UWone77: Understood, and thank you. However, the whole of the Vietnam War was fought with pencil barrels. Most AK's have pencil barrels. Throughout 20th century history most barrels have been pencil barrels. They've done an amazing job. They have taken out more bad-guys than any other kind.
    Pencil barrel? Yeah, got one of those, too: http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum....php?7278-Lite

Why the fascination with more weight? I can understand that perhaps a sniper or some such might like one, but the AR isn't a Sniper grade weapons platform from everything I've come to understand about it. To me, it just seems like needless weight, and weight is a big deal for a combat weapon. Please expound if you desire.
    I'm pretty judicious about adding weight to a rifle. In fact, the main reason I don't have a large frame (.308) pattern AR is because of weight. Instead, I run 6.8 through the AR-15 platform and that does what I need, at least for now. But to say that "the AR isn't a sniper grade weapons platform" is partly true but also sells short the capability of the platform. Getting sub-MOA out of a decent AR isn't that hard. Getting down to .5 MOA isn't terribly hard, either, it's just more expensive. This is a ~$1,000 (ex-optics) rifle that is perfectly capable of ~3/4 MOA, probably better. I could tell you why I think a heavier barrel adds value, but I'd be just spitting out my synthesis and internalization of things I've read. I've never done the testing and don't have the raw facts and data to prove squat. But I know that the folks at NSWC Crane spent some time thinking about it and came with a barrel that we now call the "SPR profile" for the Mk12. The M110, which is considered a sniper system, also has a heavy profile barrel. Based on what I've read, I personally wouldn't grab my pencil barrel rifle if I had to grab something from the safe and head towards gunfire. But it wouldn't be this rifle, either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Looks killer now. I like the B5 SOPMOD more and more every time I use it.
    Thanks! Yes, I think the SOPMOD is hard to beat. The only real downside is that it's a few ounces heavier than the Gunfighter if you are really counting ounces. It's also only about a 1/4" longer than the BCM gunfighter but apparently that's all it takes to save my beard. My whiskers get pulled out between the stock and the buffer tube on the GF (I have a very large head that I'm sure is at least one standard deviation beyond what BCM took into consideration during design).

Downloads
    Uploads
    @BoilerUP: Thank you for the lengthy explanation. I guess it's just what you have faith in. I'm right the opposite from you. If there was anything serious going on a heavy barrel is the absolute last thing I'd grab given the option. It takes all kinds I suppose. Thanks again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a quick follow up. I'm very happy with this set up. The SOPMOD and Ergo work out well. This thing is a real joy to shoot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @UWone77: Understood, and thank you. However, the whole of the Vietnam War was fought with pencil barrels. Most AK's have pencil barrels. Throughout 20th century history most barrels have been pencil barrels. They've done an amazing job. They have taken out more bad-guys than any other kind. Why the fascination with more weight? I can understand that perhaps a sniper or some such might like one, but the AR isn't a Sniper grade weapons platform from everything I've come to understand about it. To me, it just seems like needless weight, and weight is a big deal for a combat weapon. Please expound if you desire.
    The whole of the Vietnam War was fought with lightweight/pencil barrels, yes, but that says nothing to accuracy, especially accuracy after high sustained rates of full auto fire from an M16A1 and an infantryman with no fire discipline. Just because everyone was shooting a specific rifle barrel has no correlation to the quality or benefit of said barrel. The rifle has changed and adapted quite a bit, so that ought to tell you something.

All things equal, a pencil barrel is probably just as accurate as a heavy barrel.....for the first few shots anyway. The heavier barrel will handle the heat of multiple shots much better as well as maintain the stiffness (harmonics) needed to repeat precise shots.

Unless I missed it, most benchrest and match shooters are using heavy barrels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Discussing barrel profiles with disregard to the parent material used in the manufacturing process of the barrel is the first mistake of this discussion.

Pencil barrels have their place and can function as well as a heavy profile in MOST applications. SCAR's are a perfect example of the manufacturing process allowing a pencil profile to function like a heavy barrel. Almost. They are still inferior to a heavier profile when it comes to hanging a supressor off the end and for maintaining a consistent zero firing long repeated strings of shots.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unloaded, rifle only (no optics or bipod) this rifle weights 7 lbs 2 oz, or about 12 oz more than a standard M4 (I believe they weigh around 6 lbs 6 oz). With bipod and glass it is 9 lbs 10 oz. The SPR barrel profile doesn't add a lot of weight. As UW indicated, the SPR profile is not a particularly heavy profile. It's more of a "medium contour". And it's interesting to note that a lot of 3-gunners prefer medium contour, rifle gas, 18" barrels.

When I think of pencil weight barrels on modern rifles, I think of the G36. It's reputation is shit in large part because of (reportedly) huge POI shift and wild groupings when it heats up.

For me, I just wanted a decent gun for 100-600 yard precision shooting so I can work on my basic marksmanship skills. A bolt gun would have been the easiest way to go, but that's no fun and doesn't irritate liberals as effectively as a scary black rifle. And given the accuracy potential of the AR platform (to my point above), why limit myself to a 170 year old technology?