Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SPR-ish

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Discussing barrel profiles with disregard to the parent material used in the manufacturing process of the barrel is the first mistake of this discussion.

Pencil barrels have their place and can function as well as a heavy profile in MOST applications. SCAR's are a perfect example of the manufacturing process allowing a pencil profile to function like a heavy barrel. Almost. They are still inferior to a heavier profile when it comes to hanging a supressor off the end and for maintaining a consistent zero firing long repeated strings of shots.
    Mil-spec calls for button rifling. Most SPR and match grade barrels are cold hammer forged, which is arguably more accurate, and the most influential feature, next to floating.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Mil-spec calls for button rifling. Most SPR and match grade barrels are cold hammer forged, which is arguably more accurate, and the most influential feature, next to floating.
    I think you're a bit confused. Any of the well known match barrel makers like Shilen, Lilja, Bartlein, or PacNor do not use hammer forging.

There are only a few places in the US capable of making hammer forged barrels, like Daniel Defense and FN. DD actually does make an 18" SPR barrel that is stainless and hammer forged, but that's pretty rare. A hammer forged stainless barrel would probably still require a good bit of lapping/finishing before it was match grade in terms of accuracy, too.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, You are pretty much backwards on that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I think you're a bit confused. Any of the well known match barrel makers like Shilen, Lilja, Bartlein, or PacNor do not use hammer forging.

There are only a few places in the US capable of making hammer forged barrels, like Daniel Defense and FN. DD actually does make an 18" SPR barrel that is stainless and hammer forged, but that's pretty rare. A hammer forged stainless barrel would probably still require a good bit of lapping/finishing before it was match grade in terms of accuracy, too.

I can say from first hand experience the DD SPR barrel is not even close to the Douglas as far as accuracy goes. Longevity is where the cold hammer forged barrels shine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Other than DD, I really can't even think of anyone making a CHF SPR/Match Grade Barrels. I know Umbrella was working on a CHF Stainless Match Barrel, but that was years ago, and yet to see the light of day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Other than DD, I really can't even think of anyone making a CHF SPR/Match Grade Barrels. I know Umbrella was working on a CHF Stainless Match Barrel, but that was years ago, and yet to see the light of day.
    https://www.fnamerica.com/products/c...fn15-sporting/

Closest I know of but not a SPR profile.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I feel like I kind of derailed the thread and that is what I did not want to do. Thank you for all your imputs fella's. They are most appreciated. Admins, would it be possible to seperate the pencil barrel part of the discussion into a separate thread? Thanks.
    Sturgill Simpson - You can have the Crown https://youtu.be/tNV16tz1NK0

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DUX View Post
    I feel like I kind of derailed the thread and that is what I did not want to do. Thank you for all your imputs fella's. They are most appreciated. Admins, would it be possible to seperate the pencil barrel part of the discussion into a separate thread? Thanks.
    No, you'll have to start your own thread.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lazy ass admins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sturgill Simpson - You can have the Crown https://youtu.be/tNV16tz1NK0

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lazy ass admins.
    That's a fact

We are running short.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Only 3 days 'til payday!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lazy ass admins.

be nice now....lol...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Revisiting this thread as I just made a few updates to the build. I switched the stock over to a Magpul STR, added a JP Silent Captured Spring, and switched the MD over to a new Griffin Armament Taper Mount Flash Comp that allows me to run my new Recce 5. Took it out to shoot suppressed and with the JP SCS for the first time yesterday:

I'm glad I put the SLR Sentry 7 on it, as it allowed me to close the gas a few clicks. With the smooth action of the SCS, the suppression, and being able to tune the gas to reduce blowback, this thing is a sweetheart to shoot. The STR is a great stock for shooting from the bench, too. I love the SOPMOD stocks, but they just aren't good for bench shooting, or using a rear bag. The STR still gives SOPMOD-like cheekweld, so I'm now a fan.
    Last edited by BoilerUp; 1 April 2018 at 14:03.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Those JP SCS's are awesome. I love mine.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    See... now I just miss the DUX posts.