Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 72

Thread: SPR-ish

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    In a warm, moist environment... Usually.
    Posts
    3,200
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Discussing barrel profiles with disregard to the parent material used in the manufacturing process of the barrel is the first mistake of this discussion.

    Pencil barrels have their place and can function as well as a heavy profile in MOST applications. SCAR's are a perfect example of the manufacturing process allowing a pencil profile to function like a heavy barrel. Almost. They are still inferior to a heavier profile when it comes to hanging a supressor off the end and for maintaining a consistent zero firing long repeated strings of shots.
    Mil-spec calls for button rifling. Most SPR and match grade barrels are cold hammer forged, which is arguably more accurate, and the most influential feature, next to floating.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,583
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Mil-spec calls for button rifling. Most SPR and match grade barrels are cold hammer forged, which is arguably more accurate, and the most influential feature, next to floating.
    I think you're a bit confused. Any of the well known match barrel makers like Shilen, Lilja, Bartlein, or PacNor do not use hammer forging.

    There are only a few places in the US capable of making hammer forged barrels, like Daniel Defense and FN. DD actually does make an 18" SPR barrel that is stainless and hammer forged, but that's pretty rare. A hammer forged stainless barrel would probably still require a good bit of lapping/finishing before it was match grade in terms of accuracy, too.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Unfree State (MD)
    Posts
    2,584
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Mil-spec calls for button rifling. Most SPR and match grade barrels are cold hammer forged, which is arguably more accurate, and the most influential feature, next to floating.
    Yeah, You are pretty much backwards on that comment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I think you're a bit confused. Any of the well known match barrel makers like Shilen, Lilja, Bartlein, or PacNor do not use hammer forging.

    There are only a few places in the US capable of making hammer forged barrels, like Daniel Defense and FN. DD actually does make an 18" SPR barrel that is stainless and hammer forged, but that's pretty rare. A hammer forged stainless barrel would probably still require a good bit of lapping/finishing before it was match grade in terms of accuracy, too.

    I can say from first hand experience the DD SPR barrel is not even close to the Douglas as far as accuracy goes. Longevity is where the cold hammer forged barrels shine.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    13,599
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Mil-spec calls for button rifling. Most SPR and match grade barrels are cold hammer forged, which is arguably more accurate, and the most influential feature, next to floating.
    Other than DD, I really can't even think of anyone making a CHF SPR/Match Grade Barrels. I know Umbrella was working on a CHF Stainless Match Barrel, but that was years ago, and yet to see the light of day.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Unfree State (MD)
    Posts
    2,584
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Other than DD, I really can't even think of anyone making a CHF SPR/Match Grade Barrels. I know Umbrella was working on a CHF Stainless Match Barrel, but that was years ago, and yet to see the light of day.
    https://www.fnamerica.com/products/c...fn15-sporting/

    Closest I know of but not a SPR profile.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    147
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I feel like I kind of derailed the thread and that is what I did not want to do. Thank you for all your imputs fella's. They are most appreciated. Admins, would it be possible to seperate the pencil barrel part of the discussion into a separate thread? Thanks.
    Sturgill Simpson - You can have the Crown https://youtu.be/tNV16tz1NK0

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    13,599
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DUX View Post
    I feel like I kind of derailed the thread and that is what I did not want to do. Thank you for all your imputs fella's. They are most appreciated. Admins, would it be possible to seperate the pencil barrel part of the discussion into a separate thread? Thanks.
    No, you'll have to start your own thread.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Unfree State (MD)
    Posts
    2,584
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Lazy ass admins.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    147
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Sturgill Simpson - You can have the Crown https://youtu.be/tNV16tz1NK0

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    13,599
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Lazy ass admins.
    That's a fact

    We are running short.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    In a warm, moist environment... Usually.
    Posts
    3,200
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Only 3 days 'til payday!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    3,859
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    Lazy ass admins.

    be nice now....lol...

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,408
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Revisiting this thread as I just made a few updates to the build. I switched the stock over to a Magpul STR, added a JP Silent Captured Spring, and switched the MD over to a new Griffin Armament Taper Mount Flash Comp that allows me to run my new Recce 5. Took it out to shoot suppressed and with the JP SCS for the first time yesterday:



    I'm glad I put the SLR Sentry 7 on it, as it allowed me to close the gas a few clicks. With the smooth action of the SCS, the suppression, and being able to tune the gas to reduce blowback, this thing is a sweetheart to shoot. The STR is a great stock for shooting from the bench, too. I love the SOPMOD stocks, but they just aren't good for bench shooting, or using a rear bag. The STR still gives SOPMOD-like cheekweld, so I'm now a fan.
    Last edited by BoilerUp; 1 April 2018 at 14:03.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,790
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Those JP SCS's are awesome. I love mine.
    -One Nation, Under God

    -"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    13,599
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    See... now I just miss the DUX posts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •