Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SPR-ish

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    See... now I just miss the DUX posts.
    First thing I thought of.

I’ve been wanting to try a Geissele Super 42 braided Buffer spring. The one that came in my Colt lower is kind of sproing-y even with adjustable/reduced gas. And speaking of adjustable gas...that’s something that any future build will have. Innovative Arms WAR Uppers and the Rainier adjustable block (+intermediate gas) has made me a believer

What kind of ammo were you shooting/how did it shoot?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ran a mix through it yesterday. Mostly 77 grain Noslers over Varget, one small ladder with Nosler 55 gr FBHP over TAC, another with the same over H335. For factory ammo, I had some Fiochhi 77 gr SMK (which has proven to be my favorite factory load for the 77 gr SMK), and some Winchester .223 55 gr FMJ. I have to say, that Winchester .223 is impressive. Best accuracy I've seen from bulk ammo and you get the excellent Winchester brass w/o the factory crimped primers (if you get the .223 instead of the 5.56 load).

Honestly, I'm struggling to get consistent sub-MOA out of the barrel, but I haven't figured out yet if it is the barrel, the ammo, or the shooter. About the time I start feeling disappointed in the WOA, it surprises me and stacks a group. I'm having fun playing around with the loads, though, and it's a joy to shoot, so I'll keep at it and see what I can learn this year. I'm half way looking for an excuse to get a JP barrel, though. Yesterday was the first time I was shooting it suppressed, so I was more interested in POI shift (which was about 1 MOA down) and muzzle velocities for the ladders than I was groups.

I've got the Geissele Super 42 setup in my LMT carbine but don't have a lot of time behind it yet. I did get my first ever repeated malfs (feeding issues) from the LMT when I put the Recce 5 on it and shot with S42. More range time required there to figure out what is going on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Boilerup, do you have a chronograph? If you do it might help to chrono your shots to help determine accuracy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Boilerup, do you have a chronograph? If you do it might help to chrono your shots to help determine accuracy.
    Yep. Recently acquired a Magnetospeed V3. That's what I meant when I said I was more interested in muzzle velocity than groups.

edit: and it makes my day when I have the whole range to myself like that in the picture above.

Downloads
    Uploads
    NICE! I hope you are enjoying that Recce 5!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don’t chase velocity....it won’t help with accuracy..

How many rds thru the woa barrel?

After a good 500 ish rds I would expect it to be a tack driver.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you getting good color holes on your target?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’m jealous of the range all to yourself though...must be Seattle or south..don’t recognize it..I’m up north and only range up here without driving to the border is Marysville and I’ve been trying to become a member for months...fricking waiting list..so I only have a formal range available on thursdays ,open to the public.. I’ve always wanted to build amy own killer range in this area for decades,run, design etc, more area, bays, longer distances, lots of steel...pipe dreams...lol

Made me curious though.., as I’ve got some untested loads of 77/varget, 55’s and tac also..
    What kind of velocities, dev. Etc you were getting?

Downloads
    Uploads
    cjd3, no, I wasn't getting color on paper, but wasn't really expecting to since the Sharpie had plenty of time to dry. I just color code my bullets so I can tell the various loads apart.

Mustang, I am a member and shoot at Cascade out by Maple Valley. Took me about 2 years to clear the wait list. It's a great range, yet I still dream of the day when I can shoot a few hundred yards on my own property.

Regarding velocities:

Nosler 77 gr Custom Competition over 24 gr Varget in Wolf once fired brass, R 7 1/2 primers was giving me ~2,592 w/ std of 20
    Nosler 55 gr FBHP gave me about 3,000 fps with either 26 gr of TAC or 25 gr of H335
    Factory Winchester .223 55gr gave me ~2,880

I probably have around 400 rounds through the barrel at this point, but don't really keep good track

Downloads
    Uploads
    Upgraded to a RA Ultramatch Mod2 20"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice!

Quite a change from page 1...lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Nice!

Quite a change from page 1...lol
    The real magic is on page 3.

DUX

Downloads
    Uploads
    My SPR-ish continues to evolve. I recently posted images of the Centurion rail w/ ARCA in a thread on that handguard. I enjoy shooting this rifle so much it was time to upgrade the glass. After reading tons of positive reviews about the Burris XTR III, and seeing the "compelling" price point you get with a mil discount on ExpertVoice, I decided to go with the 3.3-18x50.

I'll provide some feedback on the Burris after I get some time behind it. I have a Razor gen II, Zeiss Conquest V6, PST Gen II, and NF ATACR all in the is MPVO mag range so will strive to get some head-to-head feedback this fall.