Downloads
    Uploads

Lights and Mounts

This thread is kind of directed at Slippers because....well... he's the man Of course everyone else have at it. I am a blank slate.

As you all know I am about to put together an SBR...

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...ild&highlight=

One thing I might want to run on there is a light. Since I have never ran a light on any firearm ever I was wondering if we could go through the different mounts, different lights, the pros and cons of having them mounted and how and were they are mounted...as well as the switching on/off possibilities.

I know it's preference for the most part but I am starting from ground zero. I don't really know my preference.

I will run my rifle with a T2 (or similar) (once I get more money) and some back up irons as well as a vertical grip. I am pretty partial to vertical grips and I don't really like angled grips so much (at least on my other rifle)... I have very minimally tried hand stops or finger stops so little experience there too.

In my mind I want a light that is bright as hell, but light weight. I am also thinking of having a pressure plate ran to my VFG.

Considering I am a COMPLETE noob to lights what are the pros and cons to running it at 1:00 or 3:00 or 6:00 or 9:00 or 11:00 or whatever other o'clock? What are the pros and cons to having a pressure switch like that?

What are other options?

My goal with my gun is to be fast and minimalist for the most part but I think a light would be an ok possibility.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Arisaka 300 or 600 complete light with one of their inline or offset mounts.

If your right handed mount it at the 9oclock, left at the 3.

Pressure switches in my opinion aren't necessary, but some like it.

Wish it was more complicated for you lol but luckily Will makes it easy for us :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    The first question is: why are you running a light? Is it for a specific purpose or is it because everyone else takes pictures of their guns and they have lights on them? Until recently, I only ran one rifle with a light (my former HD gun). Now a second rifle is wearing a light (my current HD gun). Everything else isn't wearing one because, day to day, they aren't needed and cost more weight. HOWEVER, just about every rifle is configured to run a light, if I need it and/or want to run that gun in a class or night competition (which I hope to soon).

Which leads me to the second part: have you decided on a rail? How you're going to run your light, or even which light to run, is going to affect mounts (and vice versa). And when I ask if you've decided on a rail, it's more of a rhetorical question. What you may find is what you think would work doesn't as you get used to running a SBR with a shorter rail system then a full sized carbine. Finding room on a 7" rail with a FSP can be tricky, compared to running one on a continuous 9 or 10" rail. Obviously it can get a little easier when you start using the various flavors of attachment standards on a continuous rail.

My advice is to start shooting the SBR first and see what works for you, form-wise, since it's a different form factor than you say you're used to. Then start looking at where you need to put a light that makes it easier for you to use it (again, if you truly need it).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like my Fenix for its variable output settings, but I hate the remote switch. If only there were a mil spec for those... The industry leans toward Surefire obviously, so there's a price attached to being a cool kid. Slippers has done some amazing work to address that, IMO. I want a setup like that, because of the switch and wiring of the remote, but there isn't a robust variation in power settings. It seems like you have to commit to low power, for indoors, so you don't wash out everything and blind yourself, or commit to high-power for outdoors. I'd like an aftermarket vendor to offer a better switch for the light I like and not have to compromise, or be forced to have multiples of the same thing. If there is something out there like what I'm looking for, somebody please speak up, because it hasn't been obvious. Am I in the minority?

And while I'm at it, I read a lot of blathering about how if you don't buy xxx or pay xxx, you will surely die in a HD firefight scenario. Here's reality: everything fails. Obviously you don't want to bet your life on a cheap, plastic piece of any kind of junk, but you don't have to crumble to pressure to buy the something that has far more capability, function and expense than you need just because this or that trainer swears by it. I like this group because they don't buy into bullshit from either direction, and I've come to trust the opinion of several guys here to be unbiased toward this or that brand. I think we all want to think of ourselves as blind to brand names, but there is industry pressure and big name voices encouraging it. Hell, Marine Corps Commandant called out the "Gucci Gear" culture in a recent address. http://kitup.military.com/2015/12/ma...ar-people.html
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Before you make any decisions, I suggest going to Elzetta's website and checking out their video blog. It has some of the best, easiest-to-digest information on light selection I've seen in one place and they offer it without making it feel like unending sales pitches. Each video blog runs about 5 minutesl the ones on "Understanding Lumens," "Understanding Candela" and "Choosing the Right Tactical Flashlight" are useful introductory information. Entries on user interfaces, tail cap options, beam projection and the relevance of ANSI/FL-1 standards are also potentially useful, depending on how much deeper you want to dig in.

From there, after you figure out your intended use and you can start narrowing down options and asking more specific questions.
    Last edited by RiverRat; 12 December 2015 at 11:12.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    The first question is: why are you running a light? Is it for a specific purpose or is it because everyone else takes pictures of their guns and they have lights on them? Until recently, I only ran one rifle with a light (my former HD gun). Now a second rifle is wearing a light (my current HD gun). Everything else isn't wearing one because, day to day, they aren't needed and cost more weight. HOWEVER, just about every rifle is configured to run a light, if I need it and/or want to run that gun in a class or night competition (which I hope to soon).

Which leads me to the second part: have you decided on a rail? How you're going to run your light, or even which light to run, is going to affect mounts (and vice versa). And when I ask if you've decided on a rail, it's more of a rhetorical question. What you may find is what you think would work doesn't as you get used to running a SBR with a shorter rail system then a full sized carbine. Finding room on a 7" rail with a FSP can be tricky, compared to running one on a continuous 9 or 10" rail. Obviously it can get a little easier when you start using the various flavors of attachment standards on a continuous rail.

My advice is to start shooting the SBR first and see what works for you, form-wise, since it's a different form factor than you say you're used to. Then start looking at where you need to put a light that makes it easier for you to use it (again, if you truly need it).
    Pretty much nailed it with this post.

Most of my uppers are able to run rights, but not all of them have one, especially ones designated range toys or other special purposes that i don't anticipate needing lights for.

You have to decide how you want to run that light so you can get the correct handguard, whether you want to to have it on a 45 degree, 3 or 9 o'clock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gator IS spot on with his questions and comments.

My rail will be a 9.7 SLR Mlok on a 10.5 barrel.

My reasoning for considering a light have a few thoughts behind them. First for just plain old day to day shooting I do not like stuff hanging on my guns period.

Based on that I would not want or need a light.

Then on he other hand I want to have the capability to explore "bumps in the night" so to speak. If someone is running around my yard at 2am I want to have an advantage to identify if its a threat or a drunk or a raccoon. Some thing for going into the house too. If I come home and my door is kicked open and its 11pm...I want a light.

I know those are kind of general or generic situations but that kind of sums it up.

The gun will be be primarily for fun but I am building a gun that has a different intent to its layout.

Just shooting out in the back yard I don't want a light or much of anything on the rail. But if/when I move to the city I am thinking it could have advantages.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am very purpose driven. If it doesn't deliver results .... Lose it.