Downloads
    Uploads

Waterproofing an M65

I have an M65 field jacket that I'd like to waterproof. Any insight as to the best method and best product to use? Thanks in advance!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Give it to Goodwill. Buy a jacket made of GORE-TEX or other modern waterproof-breathable membrane. Celebrate being part of the 21st century.

Snarkiness aside, you can't make cotton waterproof (unless maybe if you turn it into oilcloth?). You can chemically treat it to make it water repellent for a little bit (until it saturates and/or the repellent wears or washes off). Nikwax is the product to use for that: http://www.rei.com/c/gear-and-clothi...atments&page=1

I was issued an M65 when I joined the Army in 1995. I think the only time I wore it was in my Officer Basic Course. After I got to my line unit I was issued a GORE-TEX jacket and never touched my M65 again.
    Last edited by BoilerUp; 14 December 2015 at 22:30.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Basically what Boiler said. I was in the Army before and during the ACU transition (and then Multicam) but when I was issued the field jacket (M65 type 1ea) I was also issued the rubbery wet weather top and bottoms as well as a poncho...all Woodland BDU. The Poncho was necessary because the field jacket wasn't water proof and any spray on stuff would only hold off a light rain for a short period of time.

My DCU gortex jacket I was issued and still have is a really nice jacket. I'd suggest trying to find one on Amazon or EBay