Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another Optics Discussion

I am looking for professional opinions here. I still have to buy an optic of some sort for my soon to be built rifle. (A few more boxes to arrive and I will have all the parts)

Here is what I am thinking. My main purpose for the gun will be 100 yards and in and to get on target fast. It's going to be a blaster. It will need to be daylight bright so washing out in brighter light is a bad thing. It must be 1x. I also do not like the tunnel vision you get with some RDS.

I want both eyes open shooting. I do not plan to run any kind of magnifier although later on as I get more money I could theoretically add some NV just because it would be a pretty bad ass thing to spend some money on. It won't happen anytime soon but maybe it could happen if I strike it rich in the stock market.

The discussion is basically between RMR type optics and true RDS type optics.

Let's say money's no object but you can only buy one to run on a 10.5 SBR like I am building.

What are the pros and what are the cons to each in your opinion. What should I think about before I make a purchase?

Up until now I have been thinking an Aimpoint T2... and if I get it and hate it, I can sell it no problem. Aimpoint offers several other types of 1x RDS so those are also on the table. Trijicon has some offerings as well so basically I am an open book.

Of course I am looking for quality, but I am also looking for function.

And as you all know I am not some ninja, cop, or SEAL so more or less this is going to be an expensive range toy. I just don't want a shitty optic on it.

Also please note that just like with my other rifle obviously I would love to have a US Optics or a Night Force... but I haven't gotten there yet. I am running a Vortex until I gain a greater appreciation (and need) for the high end stuff.

Same concept applies to this optic. While I would probably be super stoked with a T2 what are some other good options out there?

Downloads
    Uploads
    T2 and call it a day. But if money wasnt an issue, Kahles 16i. The Kahles is the king of hill when it comes to 1x6 optics. In fact quite a few pro 3 gunners are ditchin their swaros and zeiss's for it. You wont be dissapointed.
    Last edited by Stone; 15 December 2015 at 19:58.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    T2 and call it a day. But if money wasnt an issue, Kahles 16i. The Kahles is the king of hill when it comes to 1x6 optics. In fact quite a few pro 3 gunners are ditchin their swaros and zeiss's for it. You wont be dissapointed.
    I am talking straight up 1x red dots or similar. So far that's one vote for a T2. Well two votes :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the MRO is a strong contender but the T2 is proven.. hard to go wrong with either IMO...

Having said that using Slipper's setup with a scalarworks mount(vaperware as of late) is the cats meow....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    I think the MRO is a strong contender but the T2 is proven.. hard to go wrong with either IMO...

Having said that using Slipper's setup with a scalarworks mount(vaperware as of late) is the cats meow....
    Have you seen the CMT mounts? What about the SLR mounts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Have you seen the CMT mounts? What about the SLR mounts?
    Not in person but I can't say you can go wrong either way! I'd lean toward the CMT but thats me...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    Not in person but I can't say you can go wrong either way! I'd lean toward the CMT but thats me...
    I still kind of lean towards the T2... but I was wondering if there is anything else that could be an option. Knowing me though I will always have a T2 in the back of my mind if I don't get it.

As for mounts once I put the gun together I guess I need to get a feel for the mount height. I have also seen other mounts that look kind of cool.

I wonder if putting it forward like that at all makes any kind of difference....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some of the stuff you posted about is training based.

Some is just preference and there are a few things to consider.

If you want a serious optic you will own for years to come and get tons of use out of, in the rds true 1x range then a t1 or t2 2moa is a given.

If you will ever use this rifle for people shooting, even remotely, then i highly recommend getting some sort of optic you can PID (positive identification) a target at a distance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Daylight bright and fast for 100 yds in ? I'm partial to my Tru-Dots and MRO, but they don't have a track record like Aimpoint. If you are limited to only one, I vote the T2 based on how much I respected my T1. Not a professional so my preference is just based on having tried a wide variety of red dots. My RMR (tiny window = slow) and EOs (too busy reticle, quality?) are long gone and not missed.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Some of the stuff you posted about is training based.

Some is just preference and there are a few things to consider.

If you want a serious optic you will own for years to come and get tons of use out of, in the rds true 1x range then a t1 or t2 2moa is a given.

If you will ever use this rifle for people shooting, even remotely, then i highly recommend getting some sort of optic you can PID (positive identification) a target at a distance.
    I am not planning on shooting anyone. EVER. LOL

But if I had to...

As I go along and shoot some with it and get trigger time behind this kind of gun I can get different optics.... I could put my 1-4 on it with little problem.

I am curious about the 'training based' comment though. Please share some knowledge on me :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    Daylight bright and fast for 100 yds in ? I'm partial to my Tru-Dots and MRO, but they don't have a track record like Aimpoint. If you are limited to only one, I vote the T2 based on how much I respected my T1. Not a professional so my preference is just based on having tried a wide variety of red dots. My RMR (tiny window = slow) and EOs (too busy reticle, quality?) are long gone and not missed.
    The only RDS I have ever used fell clearly in the POS Chinese made junk shit category. I want a good one that I can have confidence in.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh damn. I just bought a T2.

I did not get the mount. I am going to research that part out more.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now I want to discuss and make a list of options of mounts.

So far SLR and CMT are on the list. Fortis looks interesting. Anything else?

Help me make a list so I can make a choice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    Now I want to discuss and make a list of options of mounts.

So far SLR and CMT are on the list. Fortis looks interesting. Anything else?

Help me make a list so I can make a choice.
    Bobro http://www.bobroengineering.com/view/product/12/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUp View Post
    I am not much on QD.

I could be converted eventually but for now... ehhh not so sure.