As we all know I am building my SBR but yesterday the conversation turned to building a load for that type of rifle.

There is a lot of talk about dwell time and all that when talking about shorter barrels (mine is 10.5 with a 1/7 twist)...

I have done some google fu and with a standard 55 grain bullet muzzle velocity will be around 2500 fps out of a 10.5 barrel.

In my 16" rifle I am getting around 2600 fps with 69 grain SMKs. So just doing the math here (in theory) that if I shot my current loads through a 10.5 barrel my muzzle velocity would be down to under 2000 fps.

That said wouldn't that increase dwell time? Really though that's not my question or point of discussion... I am assuming that all these loads would run flawlessly through the gun....

On the flip side if I go with a lighter projectile I get my velocity up substantially but there are obviously trade offs to doing this.

On the really light side you have 40 grain bullets... and on the heavy side you have 77 grain bullets...

Basically considering that I am talking 200 yards tops so the real long range benefits of a 77 grain is kind of negated as to ballistics. That said I am of the school that more lead the better.

Basically it would boil down to what would be equivalent to a light load with a 77 grain (or other heavy round) or a faster load with a lighter projectile.

I also have a little bit faster burning of a powder that I am going to experiment with (H4895)

After thinking it over it might be best to go somewhere in the middle...a 55 or 62 grain bullet...but I am not really sure.

What do you reloaders think?

The end result is to be able to have an accuratized and effective load that is built for my gun. Also mainly I can reload fast and cheap...to get that consistent load...

Any ideas???

Molon, Molon! Where are you at bro!!!