Thread: Blast Shields

Downloads
    Uploads

Blast Shields

So these things have had me curious recently. Blast shields like the ones from Griffin Armament and now the one just released by Fortis.

Take a brake, and turn it into a brake that's also a big ass linear comp. Aside from adding half a pound to the very front of your gun, that seems cool to me.

My question is this, what does that do to braking action/muzzle rise? Does it make it less? More? And for those running... is it worth the extra weight?

Curious because Fortis's new release could be potentially in my price range. If it's awesome.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    You know, other than looking cool, which I admit affects some of my gear... I don't think there are a lot of practical applications for Blast Shields. It basically negates why you have a brake in the first place. The only application I can really see it for is to help your buddies out at the range, so they don't get all of the concussion. If you're not worried about that, I'd just get a linear comp or a flash hider in the first place... unless you just want it for the cool factor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Eh, kinda figured. Thanks for the info.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    They seem to be one of the gizmos that several manufacturer wants to crank out right now, because the other guy did it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    They seem to be one of the gizmos that several manufacturer wants to crank out right now, because the other guy did it.
    Like "enhanced" mag releases and ambi CHs?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm waiting for Nike to market an AR. How can you possibly face the other kids without the Swoosh (C)? Consumerism will have hit bottom.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    As Uwone says, it takes away the compensating effects of the brake.

The one big benefit to them is if you shoot indoors often or if you want to be nice to the guy standing next to you on a line at a class.

I had a linear comp on my AR pistol and while it didn't work as a brake it DID do it's job well, especially indoors.

I plan on getting Griffin's version for my AK I just put their brake on. It's a beast indoors.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I swap the Griffin BS to the shorty not wearing the can. The domed metal roof at my range is quite the amplifier. Sans the shield the blast feels like firecrackers taped to your head.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was wondering about these... with the SBR on the way I wonder if it will help tame the fireball. I have griffin taper mounts on my rifles so for the SBR I am not sure if it will make a difference or not. It might like others say, just make it look cool.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is what I have. Griffin taper mounts on a 556 10.5" and 9" 300BLK. Makes a big difference on a covered shooting station. It"s just as convienent as the thread protector. If I were running around in the open I'd stick with the brake/flashcomp.

Not sure about the fireball. Shooters to the side have been wowed, but it does not seem overly huge to me. Maybe the shield just narrows it a bit.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Uffdaphil View Post
    That is what I have. Griffin taper mounts on a 556 10.5" and 9" 300BLK. Makes a big difference on a covered shooting station. It"s just as convienent as the thread protector. If I were running around in the open I'd stick with the brake/flashcomp.

Not sure about the fireball. Shooters to the side have been wowed, but it does not seem overly huge to me. Maybe the shield just narrows it a bit.
    I am a loner. I shoot in the backyard by myself. Or I go to my friend's ranch up the road and shoot alone there.

Only about every 6 to 8 months or so do I get out shooting with other people.*

*With the exception of I have my shooting buddy that I go hang out with sometimes... but to him louder and bigger fireballs and bigger tannerite blasts are just that much more cool.

I think I paid to shoot once in the past year. That was because it was flooding rain and they had an indoor 100 yard range. Other than that... I can't recall the last time I paid to shoot.