Threaded View

Downloads
    Uploads

Forward Controls Design Offerings

I've had a few of Forward Controls Design's offerings now for a couple months. I've had time with each piece during shooting and feel I've had enough time to make some personal conclusions.

EMR & EMR-C

EMR & EMR-C by Damage Photos, on Flickr

Similarities by Damage Photos, on Flickr

I found installation to be a breeze. No different than installing any other standard mag release. Of the two I find myself preferring the EMR-C. I've used other "enhanced" bolt on style mag releases and didn't find either of them to my liking. So this offering is perfect in my opinion. Greater surface area, slightly raised height without additional parts.
    While the risk of an accidental mag release (either by the user or gear) is greater with enhanced releases I find it to be minimal with FCD's model.

I'm honestly disappointed that I won't be able to install one on the 9mm build.

LDFA

FCD LDFA by Damage Photos, on Flickr

LDFA by Damage Photos, on Flickr

Again, installation is no different than a standard forward assist. A breeze.
    Admittadly, I've never actually needed to use the forward assist as such. So my review will be mostly based on it's paring with an ambi charging handle.
    I paired mine with the Rainier Arms Raptor charging handle and installed it on my scoped AR (this was it's design intent after-all). I have to say this is my favorite offering from FCD. Beyond the intent of offering a forward assist with less drag and no rim to snag your fingers when charging an ambi charging handle, it's got a sleek look that I now prefer over a standard FA.

As stated, I've never HAD to use the FA to force or help a round into the chamber but the smaller diameter of the LFDA makes it no harder to hit if one should need to.

ABC-R

ABC-R by Damage Photos, on Flickr

ABC-R Installed by Damage Photos, on Flickr

Installation, like all of FCD's other products is just like the milspec parts you'd replace and looks better.
    The large, oversized paddle makes sending the bolt home even easier and the small serrated portion under the paddle aids in locking the bolt to the rear. In my opinion this is it's greatest edge over a milspec bolt release.
    I do find myself leaning toward levers such as Magpul's BAD lever. I know I'm in the minority using such a product on defensive rifles.

(One note I have to mention is there may be some interference installing the ABC-R on some billet uppers. I could not install mine on a YHM billet upper. The "pocket" for the bolt release on the upper was too small to allow the ABC-R to ride in.)
    Last edited by Pyzik; 24 December 2015 at 05:29.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/