Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

9mm AR discussion

Hey fellas..Been thinking about this for a while, and need ideas - help for what I'm thinking is my next project.
    9mm AR platform-for me and dumb dumb wa regs/laws would be in a pistol configuration

-I'm thinking short barrel like 5-6" ???

- lower and upper

-lowers what's the best option out there, as if I'm gonna do this a glock mag lower is what I'm thinking..And understanding some have the last round bolt hold open and others don't, while I thought there was someone about to Come out with one?

-Which comes to my next thing is bolt carrier.

School me..post pics.. Seems like a fun blaster ..with a glock lower for mags

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm in the process as we speak. My 4.5 and 8.5 barrels should get here Tuesday. I'll update this thread as my build progresses.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What lowers/ uppers you using?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    What lowers/ uppers you using?
    Joe Bob/New Frontier.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am following the thread. A 9mm AR has piqued my interest.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely the next thing on my list!

Mississippi.- Last in everything but freedom.
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So far, I can only say what not to do.

While I love my New Frontier modular bolt, I cannot recommend using the supplied firing pin. From what I have read, I'm not the only one who has broken theirs. I ordered 2 RRA's, and I will update how they do when I get them.

I am using a MAS Defense 7.5" barrel and a Daniel Defense Lite 7.0 rail. The upper I'm using is nothing special. Just a normal slick-side.

The lower is a New Frontier. I was disappointed that it doesn't drop my Glock mags free, but it doesn't take much. It does drop ETS mags free though. The finish on the New Frontier is nice, and the only mod I have made to it is I cleaned up and adjusted the ejector to interface with the bolt properly. I polished the inlet of the barrel. Guess you could call it a "feed ramp".

I'm running a Q-9 buffer, regular power spring, and a KAK setup with the Shockwave blade.

My wife took the good cam. Sorry for the quality.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Veteran Combat Medic

Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JHoward View Post
    So far, I can only say what not to do.

While I love my New Frontier modular bolt, I cannot recommend using the supplied firing pin. From what I have read, I'm not the only one who has broken theirs. I ordered 2 RRA's, and I will update how they do when I get them.

I am using a MAS Defense 7.5" barrel and a Daniel Defense Lite 7.0 rail. The upper I'm using is nothing special. Just a normal slick-side.

The lower is a New Frontier. I was disappointed that it doesn't drop my Glock mags free, but it doesn't take much. It does drop ETS mags free though. The finish on the New Frontier is nice, and the only mod I have made to it is I cleaned up and adjusted the ejector to interface with the bolt properly. I polished the inlet of the barrel. Guess you could call it a "feed ramp".

I'm running a Q-9 buffer, regular power spring, and a KAK setup with the Shockwave blade.

My wife took the good cam. Sorry for the quality.
    No safety or is that an optical illusion? Do you wish you went longer or shorter barrel? Or is the 7.5" just right?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    No safety or is that an optical illusion? Do you wish you went longer or shorter barrel? Or is the 7.5" just right?
    No rear sight or pistol grip cap either. But then, he mentioned the Shockwave and I don't see that either so I figure those pictures aren't of the complete build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In process as well. Unusual bits for this build:

Lower: QC10 Small Frame Glock - I wanted a dedicated 9mm lower with integrated LRBHO, especially after seeing a pre-production photo of the NFA/JBO upper-integrated LRBHO upper design. I'll have to be a little careful to prevent the catch from getting hammered. Spring choice, 9mm buffer and bumper TBD. The MVB 9mm ARC stock looks cool, but $400 is higher in price than I want to go.

Upper: I'm considering a side charging upper (GIBBZ), but gas relief for suppressed use needs some research. It's more likely that I'll use a CMT UPUR-4 with a vented charging handle or some std mil spec upper receiver with a vent plug in the FA (and still maybe venting at the handle. ) That receiver will support a 5" TROS barrel (integrated 3 lug adapter). Seems like just about the longest barrel that keeps factory 147 gr loads reliably subsonic (sources available on request), though I think it flirts with transonic. Built in suppressor mounting system will be a bonus. Considering a Glock-cut SPLINTA BCG (?), but could be one of several others as well (Macon Armory, New Frontier, QC10). Finally, it gets a 7" Seekins MSCR or 5" ODIN rail - gotta be wide enough for the suppressor to sit inside (or really short).

The guys at a local shop have been surprised by one of the YHM 9mm suppressors on the owner's MP5. Going to look into it a little more. That suppressor will also see some use on a 8.3" 300 BO upper.

From there's it's mostly the normal stuff: ALG ACT, BAD-ASS Std/Sht, BCM Mod 3 grip, maybe an MFT Mimimalist stock, MBUS or MBUS PRO, a spare Primary Arms RDS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been debating building a 9mm AR platform gun. But, i could buy a CZ Scorpion for less than i could build a 9mm AR for. Then there's the Sig MPX, which isn't nearly as inexpensive as the CZ, but is a damn cool gun. But what i really want is an MP5, which for something like a Dakota Tactical (if you can even get your hands on one) is even more expensive yet. I'll follow this thread with interest, and see what you guys come up with.
    Last edited by Deadwing; 26 December 2015 at 02:32.
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    I've been debating building a 9mm AR platform gun. But, i could buy a CZ Scorpion for less than i could build a 9mm AR for. Then there's the Sig MPX, which isn't nearly as inexpensive as the CZ, but is a damn cool gun. But what i really want is an MP5, which for something like a Dakota Tactical (if you can even get your hands on one) is even more expensive yet. I'll follow this thread with interest, and see what you guys come up with.
    You are thinking the exact same thing I was thinking. An AR9 is still on the table I just have to think about it some.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been waffling on whether or not to build a 9mm SBR for a while now and I'm torn between an AR and a the CZ. Main advantages that the CZ has is that it will ultimately be less expensive to build and it's a better suppressor host, in that you do not get as much gas in the face compared to an AR-pattern rifle. The 9mm AR has the advantage of being able to accept glock mags.

For the OP: Quarter Circle 10 makes a matched upper and lower that accepts glock mags and has last shot hold open. You should check out that company if you have not already. Obviously barrel length is a big topic of debate but I would personally favor something on the 6-8" range. I think if you go with a 5" barrel, you might as well stick with a handgun, as you will be getting roughly similar ballistic performance out of a g17 or some similar duty gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As much as id like to jump into this, the issue i have is that its 9mm...i doubt ill be using it on people and if i will itll be a suppressor host, so ill need to shoot 158gr to make them subsonic.

At thay point there wont be much difference between performance against people so ill just wait for .45 to make a development for people shooting.

For training and learning it is pretty cool though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    9mm puts a lot of wear on the trigger pin holes of the lower. That's the main downside. Maybe only a problem if you shoot full auto a lot.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com