Downloads
    Uploads

Which ACOG mount?

I've got an ACOG en route and I need help picking a mount.

A slim QD mount would be perfect but I'm not sure if the levers stick out too far and get in the way.

Anyway, what's your pick?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't own an ACOG but if I was going to get one it would be with a bobro mount.

https://www.rainierarms.com/bobro-acog-mount

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bobro, MI, ADM, they're all good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is there any particular reason the factory TA51 isn't desired? If installed correctly, they work just fine and if you put the knobs on the weak side, they won't snag.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Is there any particular reason the factory TA51 isn't desired? If installed correctly, they work just fine and if you put the knobs on the weak side, they won't snag.
    No, not a good reason anyways. I'm just looking at stuff while I wait for my new optic and wanted opinions. :D

I'm going to give the stock mount a try first but a slimmer QD mount would be nice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got mine mounted on a Larue and it works well...locks up tight and has good RTZ. It was several years ago, but I got a good deal on the mount + optic from their site - I remember it was the same time Trijicon got in hot water over the John 8:12 reference on their military issued ACOG's. If I had it to do all over again I'd probably be looking at the Bobro and MI mounts though.

Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    The one thing I'll say about the factory TA51 is that they use a flathead to torque down. Not a huge deal, but it would be nice if it was hex or torx instead. After using the Larue though, I don't think I'd ever use the TA51...huge step up in "user friendliness" in my opinion.
    Last edited by DeviantLogic; 30 December 2015 at 15:18. Reason: Notes on TA51

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviantLogic View Post
    I've got mine mounted on a Larue and it works well...locks up tight and has good RTZ. It was several years ago, but I got a good deal on the mount + optic from their site - I remember it was the same time Trijicon got in hot water over the John 8:12 reference on their military issued ACOG's. If I had it to do all over again I'd probably be looking at the Bobro and MI mounts though.

The one thing I'll say about the factory TA51 is that they use a flathead to torque down. Not a huge deal, but it would be nice if it was hex or torx instead. After using the Larue though, I don't think I'd ever use the TA51...huge step up in "user friendliness" in my opinion.
    I'm splitting hairs, but I used a TA31 when I was in the Army

I never used the flathead slot, it never fit any of the screwdriver tools on a Gerber so I used the pliers to tighten the thumb screws. I dummy corded it down but like my current TA11 (MT5:16), a little German torquing with the Gerber and it's going nowhere

Honestly, OP, unless there is something super fantastical that a new mount does for the ACOG, I'd spend the money on ammo or a training class or things to that effect

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviantLogic View Post

But there's no real torque spec that I've found, so another head really doesn't solve anything that a flat head can't already do. Besides, as 11B was saying, it's money that could go to other things. Now, if the OP just wants another mount just because, right on. But figured I'd ask the question. My TA01 has worked fine and while it's a very low round count right now, my TA31 has started out strong as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The MI mount looks the least obtrusive of the QD's.
    That said, the OEM mount ain't bad...just throw the knobs on your support side.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Appreciate the input. I'll try oem for awhile but if I replace it it'll probably be with the single lever MI mount.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I really love my Bobro QD's. I never noticed how much the lever protruded until I read a negative comment to that effect on the interwebs which caused me to go take a closer look at one of my mounts. I think my reaction was something like "huh. I never noticed it stuck out that far." Probably because I have tall turrets on that scope, anyway (Viper PST 1-4x24) and the Bobro QD lever sticks out less than the charging handle. FWIW, the market trend for charging handles is bigger/longer and I don't see too many complaints, but I do get your concern

The MI mount does look like a winner and has lower profile locking levers, but if you don't own any Bobro mounts yet I strongly suggest you play with one before you buy anything.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ^Good point, I don't recall hearing anything negative on Bobro except price.

It looks like the oem mount is reversible so I might not need aftermarket. Mostly I want to eliminate things sticking out from the left side so I don't have stuff slapping me. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bobro's mount doesn't protrude further than the LaRue mount by much, if at all, it just looks that way.