Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sprinco springs

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I'll be a sonofbitch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info fellas..guess I'll just stay with the mil spec stuff for now

Downloads
    Uploads
    My head hurts from reading this thread.

All the comments about "a sprinco spring made my rifle do xxxx" clearly are misled as to what they are doing. There is no magic spring that will improve a way a weapon runs every time. Sure you can get lucky with most commercial rifles ( more often over gassed than not) by swapping in a heavier spring but just as often there will be little to no improvement.

The reason I have come to run them almost exclusively is really twofold.

One is they offer multiple spring rates. That combined with a good assortment of buffer weights allows you to truly dial in the gas system of a rifle.

Two is consistency. I have laid out multiple springs from well known companies and could not find 2 that were the same length or coil count. Cut down rifle springs, "carbine" springs that were the correct length but had the coil spacing so jacked up the bolt bottomed on the spring before it would lock back and so on. Not even getting into spring rates. Year after year the Sprinco springs are the exact same thing for their given spring rate.

And the highest quality spring stock possible is always a good thing.

The only spring I have ever had fail was a flat wire spring so they are not an option.

As for the rusting comment no product can fix poor maintenance. If a chrome silicon spring is rusting in your buffer tube you had to have neglected to maintain that component because if the entire gun was maintained as the spring was, the other components such as bolt catches, magazine releases and take down pins would be orange with rust. I use a product called Corrosion Block to lightly coat any and all springs in my weapons.

If I had to guess I would say the last 20 weapons I've built have had Sprinco springs and see no reason to change what works so well.

And in regards to the JP captured springs they work well to cut down on noise and that's about it. Even with the outrageous price if they worked better I'd use them. For that kind of coin and only having 3 options with the multi spring set they are not an option unless it's for a weapon running a can shooting subs exclusively. Even on those it's a compromise when it comes to correctly tuning the rifle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh Come on Sinner, it's fun to shoot your guns in the dishwasher.......

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    My head hurts from reading this thread.

All the comments about "a sprinco spring made my rifle do xxxx" clearly are misled as to what they are doing. There is no magic spring that will improve a way a weapon runs every time. Sure you can get lucky with most commercial rifles ( more often over gassed than not) by swapping in a heavier spring but just as often there will be little to no improvement.

The reason I have come to run them almost exclusively is really twofold.

One is they offer multiple spring rates. That combined with a good assortment of buffer weights allows you to truly dial in the gas system of a rifle.

Two is consistency. I have laid out multiple springs from well known companies and could not find 2 that were the same length or coil count. Cut down rifle springs, "carbine" springs that were the correct length but had the coil spacing so jacked up the bolt bottomed on the spring before it would lock back and so on. Not even getting into spring rates. Year after year the Sprinco springs are the exact same thing for their given spring rate.

And the highest quality spring stock possible is always a good thing.

The only spring I have ever had fail was a flat wire spring so they are not an option.

As for the rusting comment no product can fix poor maintenance. If a chrome silicon spring is rusting in your buffer tube you had to have neglected to maintain that component because if the entire gun was maintained as the spring was, the other components such as bolt catches, magazine releases and take down pins would be orange with rust. I use a product called Corrosion Block to lightly coat any and all springs in my weapons.

If I had to guess I would say the last 20 weapons I've built have had Sprinco springs and see no reason to change what works so well.

And in regards to the JP captured springs they work well to cut down on noise and that's about it. Even with the outrageous price if they worked better I'd use them. For that kind of coin and only having 3 options with the multi spring set they are not an option unless it's for a weapon running a can shooting subs exclusively. Even on those it's a compromise when it comes to correctly tuning the rifle.
    I've had AR's rust up over a hard weekend of use. I would rather just eliminate that variable. True, i was shooting Wolf Polyformance, which is mildly corrosive in my experience, but still...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't had any rust issues to speak of, but also live in the Arizona desert, so high humidity is not a major factor. That said, I do keep an oily rag handy to wipe everything down before it gets put away.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sinner...

....tell us how you really feel..........lol

Good info all around

Downloads
    Uploads
    The next question is...is this increased rebound force of the enhanced sprinco doing your optics any favors...a la SCAR?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Having to re-visit my opinion, here. Been having functional issues with a dirty weapon and Vltor OEM A5 spring. Swapped in a Sprinco green spring, and while the weapon feels a bit more "punchy", it will 100% always chamber a round when I drop the bolt release, instead of binding. Also tested the Sprinco extractor and ejector spring. They worked as well as the OEM Colt stuff I had been using. I went all sprinco, simply "because". and just keep it lubed. They are more prone to rust, but I have used Sprinco before for thousands of rounds, and well lubed they are fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Based on SINNER's comments, I ordered 2 Sprinco's to try out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sprinco springs

I run them in several guns. I originally got mine cause the rifle I got it for was over gassed. With the spring and an H buffer smoothed things out. I run blue springs in my rifles.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use green with VLTOR A5s on everything. They are awesome.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post

Haha...I was thinking of trying one also, as I need a spring for the 16"-300 bo build, thinking the white one, then I could see for myself ..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    What spring rates did you go with?

Quote Originally Posted by mustangfreek View Post
    Haha...I was thinking of trying one also, as I need a spring for the 16"-300 bo build, thinking the white one, then I could see for myself ..
    The white one is just a standard spring rate. What is the intended use of the BO? Carbine gas I assume? I would run a blue spring with a H buffer for supers and suppressed subs. If supressed supers are being ran I would likely go with a red spring and a H buffer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes carbine gas. No suppressor.