Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you John I have the Freedom rifel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the help guys some of you come off kinda rude for a newbi on here sorry for any inconveance
    I may of caused you and you know who you are

REgards
    Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads
    Asking if any rifle is 'good' is kind of a leading question. Good for what? Good compared to what? It all depends on what you like and what you do.

If you shoot a box of ammo twice a year odds are anything works. But if you're asking a guy who kicks in doors for a living you will get a different answer.

If it's sheerly for enjoyment go shoot the thing and find out. If it goes bang every time and that's your criteria then so be it.

But if you ask people who are hard on gear and have worn out weapons and shot out barrels you're going to get a different and often direct answer.

Being direct is not necessarily the same as being an asshole. From the perspective of a person who could or would break an average rifle within a few weeks or less don't be shocked if they tell you directly what they think when asked a direct question.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not familiar with the freedom line from PSA. Are they the ones running FN sourced parts?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    I'm not familiar with the freedom line from PSA. Are they the ones running FN sourced parts?
    No that's the premium line. The freedom is their mid grade level. And ptac is their entry.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Avoid the PCrap Line. The premium line is the only items from PA i would personally run.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Shooting is a sport (or activity, or profession) that IMO, everybody can truly enjoy. It can be a release, or an obsession. Shooting can be competitive, it can facilitate survival, it can be purely a passtime, or it can be just another small use of one's time. Nobody is born into expertise; its all acquired over time and in time, if you choose to do so, you will have the ability to make your rifle do whatever you specifically want it to, so that it serves all of your needs in a firearm. Enjoy your new rifle. As you grow, the shine wears off and eventually, you will want something more, something different, or better or fancier, or plainer, depending completely on you. One thing will be constant for you as a member here; you will move ahead in your knowledge and skills as a result of your association with the members here. No place else has a more approachable group of people. There are some personalities, but that's true everywhere. Don't take a sour taste from one experience.

Cheers
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi, I'm brand new here but I'll chime in. I just bought a PSA Freedom upper, specifically because I wanted to try out a Melonite barrel. After reading much about the properties of Melonite (black nitride treatment) vs chrome-lining, I was intrigued. I already have AR's with c/l barrels, so this one will be an interesting experiment. I got the upper on sale for around $200, minus BCG and CH, so I'm not too worried. Here's a little more info on the process that I found on YouTube.
    https://youtu.be/RgutOkCv89Q
    As far as PSA being good, I recently caught a couple of their "blemished" complete lowers (with Magpul MOE furniture) on sale. They arrived in perfect condition and are very nice. So nice, in fact, that I chose one of them to mount my new, somewhat high-end BCM upper onto.
    Last edited by jeffk14; 25 January 2016 at 08:15.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    No that's the premium line. The freedom is their mid grade level. And ptac is their entry.
    PSA sells PTAC but it's not their in-house brand of parts. Its like Primary Arms selling BSA scopes, but not being affiliated with them otherwise.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    PSA sells PTAC but it's not their in-house brand of parts. Its like Primary Arms selling BSA scopes, but not being affiliated with them otherwise.
    Last I heard psa had bought them out. I understand that's how it was originally but thought it had changed. :shrugs:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstrbdmedic167 View Post
    Last I heard psa had bought them out. I understand that's how it was originally but thought it had changed. :shrugs:
    Just read they "absorbed" them a while back (made the relationship official?). Not sure if that means PTAC is still independently producing their stuff, or if it's being made side-by-side where PSA's stuff is and they're just getting stamped with different rollmarks/labels.

I still feel PTAC is intentionally on a lower price and quality point for entry-level consumers who might fire 500 rounds in the life of the rifle and don't need (and won't notice) the difference a quality rifle makes.

Did a little more research...PTAC's CEO is Jamin McCallum (and is also the registered agent of PSA's Training division), and the registered agent of Palmetto State Armory, LLC is Josiah McCallum. Guess they were one in the same the whole time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    Just read they "absorbed" them a while back (made the relationship official?). Not sure if that means PTAC is still independently producing their stuff, or if it's being made side-by-side where PSA's stuff is and they're just getting stamped with different rollmarks/labels.

I still feel PTAC is intentionally on a lower price and quality point for entry-level consumers who might fire 500 rounds in the life of the rifle and don't need (and won't notice) the difference a quality rifle makes.

Did a little more research...PTAC's CEO is Jamin McCallum (and is also the registered agent of PSA's Training division), and the registered agent of Palmetto State Armory, LLC is Josiah McCallum. Guess they were one in the same the whole time.
    I had assumed they were the whole time despite PSA trying to say it was a different company and they were just selling parts.

I wouldn't be surprised if ptac is jaut parts that didn't meet the premium it psa level QC... A way to get rid of your blems without calling them blems...

Downloads
    Uploads
    You have to manage your expectations. If you just want to buy a few boxes of 55gr and go out and shoot minute of man a few times a year...then a PSA is a fine choice. If you are looking for a SHTF weapon system that has been tested in combat...probably not where you want to go. Define your intended use and let that guide you. AR's are like Lay's Potato Chips...you can't have just one...so know it will multiply into another...and another...

The "PSA barrels are made by FN" comment is always comical to me. FN has the tooling for which PSA provides the specs. PSA is trying to hit a price point...that is their business plan. You cannot assume all FN barrels are equal just because they leave from the same factory. That is like when Daimler bought Chrysler and everyone thought they would be the next Mercedes or BMW. Totally different customer. You can buy a complete FN AR-15 for $850. If everyone wants to tout FN so much...why not just buy their rifle and avoid the markup PSA is putting on the parts?

Manage your expectations and you are good to go.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I own a PSA premium 14.7 in mid length that has proven to be a great rifle. I would have no problem running in to a gunfight with it (or my BCMs or DDs for that matter). My PSA was probably the best value for $ of any AR15 I have purchased. Its been through several high round count classes and gets run hard on a regular basis without any issues to note.