Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    [/QUOTE]INNYHOO, anyone have any experience with AR15performence.com ? They have a lathe squared upper I'm thinking of getting if I decide to build.[/QUOTE]

They make a nice barrel. They do a lot with the 6.5 and 6.8. Good stuff. Harrison Beene is the guy behind it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aragon I have 2 ARP barrels currently. My 12.5" 223wylde and my 16" 277wlv. The barrels do far better than I ever can. When I had a scout 6.8 barrel it was just as accurate as the ones I have now. H makes good stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by John Moses View Post
    Noveske does not manufacture bolts. They use a RCA Melonited, and in years past were using CMT bolts, and most likely still do on their phosphate. Sounds like the bolt wasn't properly lubricated after dis-assembly and cleaning. I know Slip2000 uses a water based cleaner. (if thats what you used) I only say this because the situation that occurred could happen to any rifle, and nothing "Noveske" caused it, and wouldn't be a fair representation of their product.
    You don't have to defend Noveske, its well known that of late their quality is going downhill.

ARP makes some fine barrels, there are a lot of happy owner's over on the 68 forum. They rave about them all the time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    FWIW, if you're paying $1700 for a SR-15 upper, I think you're doing it wrong. You can find complete legacy SR-15s for sale for $1500-1700. Albeit a few years ago, I paid $1000 for my SR-15 upper, which was unfired. That said, a BCM, KAC, or if you want to roll your own, a Rainier barrel seems like a good way to go.

And since the type of shooting you seem to be describing is basically tactical precision, it sounds like you're on the right track with a 2-10 (or if you want to stretch it, a 1-6). I'd much rather try and work a wind hold or mil a target with a 10x at ~600 than a 4x. And you can work up close with a 2.5 just fine (or put a mini RDS if you really want to).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd rule out all the boutique guns right of if for home/SHTF. Proven reliability is #1 need there. Add in accuracy to 500m and a good SS barrel is first choice. The BCM SS410 Ionbond fits the bill. Mine has the KMR rail and Vortex 2.5-10x and is my most accurate AR. Relatively - bad 67 year old eyes.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-S...kmr-a-15ib.htm
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    You don't have to defend Noveske, its well known that of late their quality is going downhill.

ARP makes some fine barrels, there are a lot of happy owner's over on the 68 forum. They rave about them all the time.
    Oh, I am not defending anyone. Just pointing out that improperly maintaining any rifle leads to function problems. I would state the same if it were any other manufacture. Yes Noveske has quality issues, I do not disagree. I personally have had several issues with them. However, in fairness the original comment is not a reflection on that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lots of good info here. I REALLY doubt I'll buy a new SR15 upper, because even though I've lusted after one for years now, 1700$ plus the cost of putting in a Raptor and possibly changing the muzzle device leaves me somewhat breathless.

As for the Noveske bolt, that gun was purchased in 2008 or 09, back kinda in Noveske's heyday. Wasn't trying to sound like I was blaming Noveske, and due to the conditions I think if anything the gun was OVER lubed before going out. It would have happened to any phosphate bolt. Slip just isn't awesome at corrosion resistance.

ETA: the whole reason I brought it up was because I was using it as a reference vs the PWS, which has a nickel teflon bcg.
    Last edited by Aragorn; 3 January 2016 at 13:31.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know I mentioned my thoughts on a General Purpose rifle sort of aligned with my idea of the "Recce" concept, but everybody likes pictures.

I run this rifle suppressed 99.5% of the time, but it performs exactly the same sans suppressor. Here's a 5 shot group when I was grouping/zeroing at 100yds after working up a new load (24.1gr RE15, 69gr SMK, 2.25" OAL, LC brass and CCI #400 SRP). Rifle has a 16" Rainier Match barrel w/ 1:8 twist, Rainier/Samson 12.5" free float rail, Innovative Arms WAR upper (gas adjustable for suppressed shooting), TA11J ACOG/3.5x35mm crosshair reticle, Griffin Armament mini brake & Recce 5 Mod 3 can, and the really only important detail about the lower is the 3.5lb flat single stage CMC trigger. This rifle can get precise when required, it can work in close or at a distance, it's not super heavy (8lbs 2oz unsuppressed/unloaded, 9lbs 1oz suppressed/unloaded). This is my go-to, all purpose rifle. I'd grab it over anything if I could only pick one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice looking stick! Well thought out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I know I mentioned my thoughts on a General Purpose rifle sort of aligned with my idea of the "Recce" concept, but everybody likes pictures.

I run this rifle suppressed 99.5% of the time, but it performs exactly the same sans suppressor. Here's a 5 shot group when I was grouping/zeroing at 100yds after working up a new load (24.1gr RE15, 69gr SMK, 2.25" OAL, LC brass and CCI #400 SRP). Rifle has a 16" Rainier Match barrel w/ 1:8 twist, Rainier/Samson 12.5" free float rail, Innovative Arms WAR upper (gas adjustable for suppressed shooting), TA11J ACOG/3.5x35mm crosshair reticle, Griffin Armament mini brake & Recce 5 Mod 3 can, and the really only important detail about the lower is the 3.5lb flat single stage CMC trigger. This rifle can get precise when required, it can work in close or at a distance, it's not super heavy (8lbs 2oz unsuppressed/unloaded, 9lbs 1oz suppressed/unloaded). This is my go-to, all purpose rifle. I'd grab it over anything if I could only pick one.

Very nice! A bit heavy, but nice and versatile.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, that ACOG is a beast (18oz including mount IIRC) and the heavy profile barrel add most of that weight.