Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys. Looks like some small stuff coming today and the rest Thursday. Woot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Make sure you get the Brownells tool for removing the bolt catch roll pin. Mushrooming the pin is bound to happen!

Attachment 417
    I was going to pick one of these today but I'll have to wait till they have a free shipping weekend or coupon code. $7.95 shipping on a $18 punch and 5 gas tube roll pins is just retarded. I don't have any immediate need so I can wait.

However, I bought one of these to make installation of the bolt catch roll pin 100% painless.

Name:  Knipex-86-05-250.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  42.3 KB

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

I already have a bunch of other house related uses for this thing too. It arrives tomorrow via Amazon warehouse (under $40 shipped). Now if Rainier Arms slow ass shipping would just get my ABC/R shipped out I could install the last piece on my SMOS build.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How will giant pliers make it 100% painless to install a tiny roll pin?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
    Lol. You still gotta post pics. You're probably a better shooter than me if that makes you feel better. Haha.

I got into taking pics of guns to help offset not being able to shoot as much with the baby here.

I might post one or two photos. But seriously, you've got mad photography skills. Always a pleasure viewing your work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadwing View Post
    I might post one or two photos. But seriously, you've got mad photography skills. Always a pleasure viewing your work.
    Thanks man. Means a lot

Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Exactly. Anytime I've seen someone install Roll Pins with pilers, they have some jacked up lowers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q11mziNfzmc

Start pin with starter punch, squeeze, send rest of way home with a couple taps. Seems easier to me. With no chance of mushrooming the pin.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Exactly. Anytime I've seen someone install Roll Pins with pliers, they have some jacked up lowers.
    I know what you mean, but those people were using regular pliers with the teeth. I have a bunch of those and would never think of using them to install a pin. The plier wrench I posted has smooth jaws and the action of the pliers is straight not at an angle like regular pliers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I love my knipex. They are more a wrench than pliers but I think the readjusting with each notch and a little squeeze just may be the ticket. Gonna try this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post
    I know what you mean, but those people were using regular pliers with the teeth. I have a bunch of those and would never think of using them to install a pin. The plier wrench I posted has smooth jaws and the action of the pliers is straight not at an angle like regular pliers.
    Taping the jaws, also helps. I use the same technique with a set of vise grips. If I get lazy and don't re-tape the jaws, I might make a small scratch, but given the use of the lower down road and the wear it will receive, I quickly get over it. But with good technique and patience, you can do it with no mars or marks just fine.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by titanse05 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q11mziNfzmc

Start pin with starter punch, squeeze, send rest of way home with a couple taps. Seems easier to me. With no chance of mushrooming the pin.

I'm sure you're one of the people that are good with his hands and mechanically inclined. I just don't like to see people try to use pliers as not everyone is careful. Plus, a Roll Pin starter and punch are cheaper tools. I have seen some dicked up lowers and uppers over the years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gatordev View Post
    Taping the jaws, also helps. I use the same technique with a set of vise grips. If I get lazy and don't re-tape the jaws, I might make a small scratch, but given the use of the lower down road and the wear it will receive, I quickly get over it. But with good technique and patience, you can do it with no mars or marks just fine.
    Could also get some Sugru and make some silicone covers for the jaws. More durable than tape and won't scratch anything.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviantLogic View Post
    Could also get some Sugru and make some silicone covers for the jaws. More durable than tape and won't scratch anything.
    I hadn't seen that before. That's a great idea. Sometimes I think I'm more dangerous with a punch and hammer than a set of pliers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So after reading all this roll pin discussion... I'm a bit worried myself now! Is the Brownells punch a good tool for the job? Basically, what's the most budget friendly way to PROPERLY do this? Like... Maybe $25 or less?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by EO3 View Post
    So after reading all this roll pin discussion... I'm a bit worried myself now! Is the Brownells punch a good tool for the job? Basically, what's the most budget friendly way to PROPERLY do this? Like... Maybe $25 or less?
    The Brownells punch is for removal of the pin. A good starter punch, roll pin punch, a bunch of protective tape and a hammer work well most of the time. :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never had an issue with pins.

david@damagephotos.com