Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 22lr upper

Downloads
    Uploads

My 22lr upper

so i figured i would build a 22lr upper. this is what i have so far. It's not assembled yet so this is just a mock up. The only parts i dont have yet are backup iron sites, buffer tube/stock kit, lower and pistol grip.

Upper:
    Aero Precision stripped upper
    taccom 3g 16" steel barrel
    taccom 3g 22lr reliability kit
    cmmg bolt
    Nordic components .750 brake
    noveske chainsaw 13.5" NSR

Optics:
    aimpoint micro h1 in a bobro lower 1/3 mont

Lower:
    Geissele SSA
    BAD-CASS selector
    Redi-Mag Better-mag S&W m&p15-22 magazine adapter
    colt lower parts kit for everything else

Still on the list:
    noveske/troy flip up sights
    vltor imod stock kit
    noveske end plate
    bcm mod 1 grip
    undecided lower.

unfortunately living in NJ we need to pin a muzzle brake on. luckily since this is a 22lr it doesnt have a gas block i can pin the .750 block on there and not need to worry about if i want to remove it and convert this to a different caliber.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still need a .22lr Upper. I've had some issues trying to get .22lr's to feed reliably in the past. Have you run a taccom barrel before?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks good! I also need a .22lr upper
    "Always do more than is required of you"
    - General George S. Patton

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    I still need a .22lr Upper. I've had some issues trying to get .22lr's to feed reliably in the past. Have you run a taccom barrel before?

i havent run a taccom barrel yet. Im just sending this out to get the comp pinned so i can fire it up. I've researched it a lot and it seems the taccom reliability upgrade should help with feeding issues and using the better-mag with m&p15-22 mags works best for the bolt hold open. all research i did said the beyer barrels are the best, but this rifle is already as much as 5.56 upper since essentially its a more expensive bolt, a few additional parts, and everything else is exactly the same as a regular AR it's getting expensive fast.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice and very expensive plinker! I love it! Range be damned; all of my guns are plinkers! Hoping for a report when you get it finished. Enjoy it!
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks awesome. 22lr with a NSR is about as nice as you can make a .22 :)

I wish you could change out the quads on the mp15-22. That design is the epitome of 22 AR clone reliability

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post

I wish you could change out the quads on the mp15-22. That design is the epitome of 22 AR clone reliability
    It is possible. You have to get a barrel nut adapter, which someone on the interwebs makes. Apparently the removal can be a little tricky in that you have to be delicate since it's polymer, but otherwise it's doable. Then you can install whatever factory barrel nut you want onto the adapter. I toyed with the idea a while back, but there were other things to spend my money on and the OEM rail is good enough, and still light that my wife might actually want to shoot it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On a .22 LR upper can you build them out with any stripped upper you want?

Obviously the mags and bolt carrier group need to be special but I don't know who makes the needed parts for a .22 so I can price it all out to build one.

Also is a .22 LR strong enough to cycle the weapon with a standard buffer and spring?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post

Also is a .22 LR strong enough to cycle the weapon with a standard buffer and spring?
    A .22LR is a blow back design, so what you have in the receiver extension doesn't matter. It just sits there and takes the recoil of the BCG of whatever flavor you choose.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Taccom makes a plug that keeps the pressure on the bolt carrier too so it really doesn't move

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post

I was going to go with the S&w adapter but wanted to be as close to my main rifle as possible. And since I'm sharing here is a pic of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking good! I've been playing around with either building a .22 upper or just picking up an M&P15-22.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Aliance Shoot House, When Things Go Bad, YSINTG, Carbine 1, DART Medical, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram
    Use DAMAGE15 to save 15% at Third Pin Threads
    Save 10% "JOINORDIE" http://cmttac.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've done a few of these. The key to reliability is to keep the AR buffer spring in the lower and remove the buffer. Without significant force behind it, the bolt assembly tends to have poor engagement with the barrel extension which results in all kinds of weird failures. Also I like the solid polymer charging handles from CMMG without the channel in the center - helps prevent a really nasty type of jam where the case gets stuck in the charging handle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Could you just fill in the slot where they get caught with some JB weld or similar?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wsaraceni View Post
    Could you just fill in the slot where they get caught with some JB weld or similar?
    Sure, that would probably work just fine.