Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do you prefer your co-witness?

Using an Eotech or Aimpoint, do you like to have the irons centered or in the bottom 1/3 of the optic? Does it make a difference for your cheek-stock contact?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I personally like lower 1/3 cowitness which will allow your head to be in a more natural upright position for faster target acquisition.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I prefer a real cowitness, but shoot fine with either. A real cowitness allows me to check my BUIS and optic are still dialed in, which is nice if I haven't had a chance to shoot my duty weapon in awhile. If I find that things have moved, I know I've got an issue.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I prefer a real cowitness, but shoot fine with either. A real cowitness allows me to check my BUIS and optic are still dialed in, which is nice if I haven't had a chance to shoot my duty weapon in awhile. If I find that things have moved, I know I've got an issue.
    Same here. I like looking through the sights and seeing one aim point.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can still check to see if your red dot and irons are dialed in on bottom 1/3 co-witness as well.

The whole point of having a red dot like an Eotech or Aimpoint is not having to look down your sights. Point and shoot...
    For me, I drop my head and co-witness if I am doing precision shooting. Other than that, I point the red dot and shoot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    John is right, with a paralallex free red dot you can confirm co-witness if it is 1/3 or absolute.

I like 1/3 when I have a fixed front sight post, and a absolute co-witness when I have flip up BUIS.

Here is the 1/3 on a 14.5 with fixed front post, I use the LaRue EOTech riser to get the FSP in the lower 1/3.

Here is the absolute co-witness on a 16" with a PRI flip up front sight, EOTech is bolted right to the receiver.

Painted rifle has 1/3 due to riser, black rifle has absolute co-witness but is run with the BUIS folded out of sight.
    Last edited by Cameron; 3 March 2009 at 09:28.

Downloads
    Uploads
    so on an eotech, does the 1/3 thing apply, I mean, wherever the dot it is, is where the bullet will hit, right? If your sights are on, and your eotech is on, it's just a matter of where you look... at the sights or over them, right? Does that make sense? The height of the eotech and your head position would make it center or lower 1/3 co...right?? (Please forgive me for guessing, I've never used an eotech to shoot, just looked at one on a rifle).

Downloads
    Uploads
    If it has a fixed front sight, I like the lower 1/3. If it has flip-ups, I don't care.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I started out with a true co-witness years ago and find it more comfortable for me. Perhaps due to that primacy learning thing we all hear about. With that said, I do have some mounts that utilize the lower third for the irons.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline151 View Post
    so on an eotech, does the 1/3 thing apply, I mean, wherever the dot it is, is where the bullet will hit, right? If your sights are on, and your eotech is on, it's just a matter of where you look... at the sights or over them, right? Does that make sense?

You are correct, the bullet is going to hit where ever you have the dot on the target when using the eotech.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline151 View Post
    so on an eotech, does the 1/3 thing apply, I mean, wherever the dot it is, is where the bullet will hit, right? If your sights are on, and your eotech is on, it's just a matter of where you look... at the sights or over them, right? Does that make sense? The height of the eotech and your head position would make it center or lower 1/3 co...right?? (Please forgive me for guessing, I've never used an eotech to shoot, just looked at one on a rifle).
    I have an eotech on a riser that gives me a lower 1/3 cowitness. What I like about it is if my head is up, I'm not looking throught the irons. If I move my head down, then I have an absolute cowitness. I'm not LEO or military so I can't comment in advantages/disadvantages in tactical situations.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm all absolute cowitness - I tend to position my head low even for that, so it works best for me. I can fully understand why lower 1/3 would work best for most folks still.

:ETA: This is the setup I'm running on my Lightweight, and my wife's carbine. I think you'll really like it for that use.
    Last edited by TehLlama; 12 March 2009 at 10:18.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've come to like fixed front and rear with the fullsize Aimpoints, and so like a lower 1/3 to keep the sight picture uncluttered.

One thing I want to play with a bit more is an Aimpoint Micro set at "absolute" cowitness with a flipup rear sight. My theory is that I'll never notice the front sight until I need to and when I want to use it, the micro will act as more of a rear ghost ring.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    You are correct, the bullet is going to hit where ever you have the dot on the target when using the eotech.
    Will this work with an Aimpoint M2?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, it is the same with an Aimpoint.

I am a true co-witness guy as well. I like to be able to confirm my optic is locked on in case I need to take a precision head shot in a hostage or other tight situation (keeping in mind my 2" hold-over for close encounters). When doing entry work I don't even see the iron sights. I had a lower 1/3 co-witness for a long time but I bought a new mount to switch over to a true co-wit.