Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I prefer a lower 1/3.

Aligning with several points already mentioned I'll explain.

An absolute co-witness doesn't necessarily bother me, but I feel like there's just too much going on. Granted it comes down to training, but for me I don't want to be thinking about aligning irons as well as looking for a reticle. It's just too much in my opinion.

With my T-1 and no parallax I can still confirm that nothing has moved by looking through the irons. But for speed I'm just going for the dot.

For flip-up sights it wouldn't make as big of a difference to me as the irons would be out of the way most of the time.

I don't think there is a RIGHT way to approach this, it's all personal preference and training.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My face is skinny and bony, and I can't get a good cheek weld with lower 1/3 co-witness. It's more of a chin/jaw weld for me.

For those reason, personally, I prefer an absolute co-witness.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fontaine View Post
    My face is skinny and bony, and I can't get a good cheek weld with lower 1/3 co-witness. It's more of a chin/jaw weld for me.

For those reason, personally, I prefer an absolute co-witness.
    I would suggest a daily box of tactical twinkies until your cheek weld is operational.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I prefer absolute co-witness. I use a flip up rear or front and rear, so there isn't any issue of the irons being in the way. I also like to have all of my rifles set up so that the optic height and eye relief (if applicable) are all the same so that my cheek weld is consistent. If I use a rifle with an ACOG my head is in the same position as if I use a rifle with an Aimpoint, and so on.
    Dustin

Downloads
    Uploads
    For me, I prefer an absolute co-witness with an EOTech but a lower 1/3 with Aimpoint. If I had to pick one to use for both I would choose lower 1/3.

Downloads
    Uploads

Co-witness on A2 w/ Carry Handle

I'm mounting an Aimpoint on an A2 forward of the carry handle on an ARMS SIR #51, and am trying to decide on absolute co-witness vs. lower 1/3.

If I were usint a flat-top with flip-up rear sight, I'd definitely go with absolute co-witness. However, with the fixed carryhandle/rear sight of the A2, it seems like the lower portion of the Aimpoint's sight picture might be somewhat obscured by the rear sight/carry handle.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Downloads
    Uploads
    A little off topic but the verification of consistency between the optic and the irons should be part of your daily inspection ritual, especially if you 'really' use your gun.

I always do that, and I did it once and found that the dot of my optic, which is always right on top of the front sight post, was sitting at the bottom. My optic was off by 40 clicks. The issue was resolved but it's obviously very good that I caught it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also, in response to the original question, I use absolute cowitness with flip up front and rear BUIS. The difference in sight offset between absolute and lower cowitnessed optics might be negligible, but it is slightly different, which theoretically would force a different cheek weld when using an optic vs. irons. Also, the minute difference in sight offset could (but probably wouldn't) create confusion in the use of close cover and result in shooting the cover by mistake because of the increased offset.

My personal preference is not to use a fixed front sight, simply because the view through the optic is less obstructed allowing you to see critical things which could be occurring in the obscured area. It's a small point and I know lots of people who feel the permanence of a fixed front sight (especially in the case of an optic failure) outweighs the open field of view, and it all boils down to personal choice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    A little off topic but the verification of consistency between the optic and the irons should be part of your daily inspection ritual, especially if you 'really' use your gun.

I always do that, and I did it once and found that the dot of my optic, which is always right on top of the front sight post, was sitting at the bottom. My optic was off by 40 clicks. The issue was resolved but it's obviously very good that I caught it.
    Type of optic used?

Any idea what could have thrown your zero that far off?

Downloads
    Uploads
    absolute co-witness. i got used to lollipopping on my duty rifle. my build has flip-ups but i still went with an absolute co-witness Bobro setup.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a lower 1/3 person myself. This allows me to keep my head in a more natural upright position for quicker target acquisition and then I can drop my head slightly and use my irons and dot for a longer precision shot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Quib View Post
    Type of optic used?

Any idea what could have thrown your zero that far off?
    Aimpoint in a cantilever mount....the best the range staff could figure was we hit a speed bump or something going too fast and the rifle slammed into something in the truck which knocked the optic out of alignment. Which should NOT happen...you should be able to chuck your rifle across a parking lot or drag it behind your car for a few miles and have it still work...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    Aimpoint in a cantilever mount....the best the range staff could figure was we hit a speed bump or something going too fast and the rifle slammed into something in the truck which knocked the optic out of alignment. Which should NOT happen...you should be able to chuck your rifle across a parking lot or drag it behind your car for a few miles and have it still work...
    Interesting......thanks Kitty, and welcome to Weapon Evolution.

Some of those cantilever mounts seem to stretch out there pretty far forward. I wonder if the impact to your weapon slightly bent the mount?

Downloads
    Uploads

An answer and a question

I prefer lower third - only because that is what I shot before making my current purchase, and that is what I have. Dot on the post seems to make me take more (spell that "too much") time on the shot. Longer I hold, shakier I get and I end up chasing the dot.

So, I put an EOTech 516 on the carbine because it has a built-in 7mm riser. I really like it.

That was the answer, now for the question.

Today I ordered a new flat-top toy.

Along with it, I ordered an EOTech XPS2-0 and Second Generation G23.FTS 3x Magnifier. Selection based on rail real estate and weight. How can I mount them both for a lower third witness?

Most QD picatinny mounts (ringless) or risers are 5/8s high rails instead of .275 or 7mm. That puts the irons out of view. So my choices seem to be - I can FTS the 3x and use the irons in true witness, or remove the EO and just use the irons in a dead dot scenario. Both seem less than ideal to me.

Wait one, I'm thinking through that last comment dead dot means no witness, just look through at the irons stupid! Sorry I got side-tracked. With the dot working, I still think I prefer lower third.

Don't want to hi-jack the thread, but your responses may help others also.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I prefer the “lower 1/3rd” co-witness.

For some reason I have trouble with crowded FOV’s and focusing on the target. The less clutter in my FOV, the better.