Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Stupid Expensive Glock 19 Build - Project Váli

This is a project I have mentioned in passing on some other threads so I figured I'd create a place to document it.

I'll start this build thread by acknowledging a couple things.
    Yes, I know I could buy ANY big name custom Glock 19 on the market for the price of this build.
    Yes, it would have been more cost effective to buy a frame and build up from there
    Yes, since technically I am starting with a complete firearm and upgrading it, this is not a true "build" thread.

That said, this is a personal project. The aim here is to build a gun that is MY perfection. Not "Glock Perfection" as it comes from the factory. I aim for this to be a learning experience and a personal challenge to push myself to producing a top tier finished product for myself. I decided early on that cost effectiveness would play only a minimal role (if any) in parts and mod selection.

* Indicates parts already acquired

Parts list:

• New Glock 19 *
    • Ghost 3.5lb Edge trigger connector
    • Glock extended slide stop lever *
    • Lone Wolf Stainless guide rod and captured recoil spring *
    • Trijicon RMR Adjustable LED - 3.25 MOA Red Dot *
    • Apex Action Enhancement Trigger body
    • Trijicon Suppressor Night Sights (black ring) *
    • Surefire XC-1 (Possibly X300U) *
    • Wilson Combat Threaded G19 Barrel
    • RM63 RMR Mount Sealing Plate
    • Maritime Spring Cups
    • Stainless Steel Pin Set
    • Pierce Grip Plug

Frame Mods: (Done by myself)

• Minor frontstrap reduction
    • Reduced finger grooves
    • Minimalist magwell cuts
    • Thumb groove/web contour
    • Glove bevel
    • Medium mag release bevel
    • Recessed stippling borders
    • Speed shelf
    • Brand new texture pattern, name pending
    • Complete trigger guard contour
    • High grade polish

Slide work

• Add top front serrations
    • Enhanced rear serrations
    • Add side front serrations
    • RMR cut
    • Slide refinish
    • 45 degree corner cuts with top front serrations wrapping down to front serrations.

All told, here are my projected totals:
    Parts : $1920.0 (including stock G19)
    Machining: $600-$700
    I value the frame work I will do at $350 (conservatively)

So all told, its looking like I'll be about $2600.00 out of pocket for this build and I can value its overall production at around $3000.00

I'll post pictures during the process even some WIP pictures during stippling.
    Last edited by Battle Cock; 3 February 2016 at 22:00.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow! Really looking forward to watching this thread BC. Awesome project.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Sounds a lot like the glock 19 project I finished for myself a while back. Ended up getting carried away and replaced or modifying ALL the stock parts, with the exception of the locking block... Still waiting on someone to make an aftermarket one.

I ended up building a nice glock that wasn't light years above a stock gun. Sounds like you are being realistic about what the end product will be though.

All that being said, that g19 is one of the favorite guns in my collection and definitely the only gun that I would never consider selling.

Ps. I think you should budget for some laser engraving to really personalize the project.

Pps. I don't know if they are still in production, but if they are, I would suggest buying some maritime spring cups. They are a cheap piece and will allow your glock to cycle after being submerged in water or underwater... And that's kinda neat

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by schambers View Post
    Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Sounds a lot like the glock 19 project I finished for myself a while back. Ended up getting carried away and replaced or modifying ALL the stock parts, with the exception of the locking block... Still waiting on someone to make an aftermarket one.

I ended up building a nice glock that wasn't light years above a stock gun. Sounds like you are being realistic about what the end product will be though.

All that being said, that g19 is one of the favorite guns in my collection and definitely the only gun that I would never consider selling.

Ps. I think you should budget for some laser engraving to really personalize the project.

Pps. I don't know if they are still in production, but if they are, I would suggest buying some maritime spring cups. They are a cheap piece and will allow your glock to cycle after being submerged in water or underwater... And that's kinda neat
    You got pictures?

I've considered laser engraving, but I don't have anything that I want badly enough to pay to engrave on it. Maybe I'll consider some accent engraving instead of a logo or words.

I like the Maritime spring cup idea. I may add that to the parts list.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is not something that I would do for myself, but I am definitely impressed by these kinds of Glock mods. I used to pour some cash into 1911's back in the day, but it got to the point that they were so expensive, I didn't want to carry or shoot them. You can go crazy with a Glock, and as long as the mod's don't affect the reliability, you can still tuck it into your pants. Can't wait until you start posting pictures. This will be a must watch thread, that's for sure. P.S., In my "standard" Glock modification, I use the Maritime cups, and I think I might have a couple laying around somewhere if you can't find them. They are sometimes hit or miss, with them being in stock from the folks that sell them.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FortTom View Post
    This is not something that I would do for myself, but I am definitely impressed by these kinds of Glock mods. I used to pour some cash into 1911's back in the day, but it got to the point that they were so expensive, I didn't want to carry or shoot them. You can go crazy with a Glock, and as long as the mod's don't affect the reliability, you can still tuck it into your pants. Can't wait until you start posting pictures. This will be a must watch thread, that's for sure. P.S., In my "standard" Glock modification, I use the Maritime cups, and I think I might have a couple laying around somewhere if you can't find them. They are sometimes hit or miss, with them being in stock from the folks that sell them.

FT
    I'm browsing around and it looks like they should be pretty easy to get a hold of.
    Im adding them to the parts list as well as a RM63 RMR Mount Sealing Plate.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can not wait to see the finished product

Check me out on YouTube and Facebook

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Cock View Post
    You got pictures?

I've considered laser engraving, but I don't have anything that I want badly enough to pay to engrave on it. Maybe I'll consider some accent engraving instead of a logo or words.
    Fortunately I was able to get the machining, painting and laser work locally so I was able to CQ the entire process. Very interesting to watch the work as it was done.
    Photo Dump; some before and after:

After Paint:

During Machining:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Can't wait to see it all come together, BC! I remember my jaw dropped the first time you mentioned building a $2k Glock lol. I had no idea they could get this expensive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking forward to his for sure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    BC, you get an FFL yet? You need to do some work for me.

schambers, I like your Glock. Simple yet elegant work.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Going through the same process myself right now - was so torn between milling the slide myself or having someone else do it - my mill is 100% manual and I have no DROs - I make it work with simple cuts on 1911s with no issue, but some of the complex stuff just really lends itself to CNC for so many reasons. I'm right where you are BC - frame work all done by me, but the total number is still just somewhat staggering.

Can't wait to see yours

Downloads
    Uploads
    Schambers, good work on that Glock. Did you do the stippling and grip mods?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh S. View Post
    Can't wait to see it all come together, BC! I remember my jaw dropped the first time you mentioned building a $2k Glock lol. I had no idea they could get this expensive.
    It seems I underestimated the price tag last time I mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    BC, you get an FFL yet? You need to do some work for me.
    I'm working on a solution for that problem which fits into my schedule and lifestyle. I'll definitely let you know when I am able to accept firearms for shipment or if I ever make it up to your neck of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Axlnut View Post
    Going through the same process myself right now - was so torn between milling the slide myself or having someone else do it - my mill is 100% manual and I have no DROs - I make it work with simple cuts on 1911s with no issue, but some of the complex stuff just really lends itself to CNC for so many reasons. I'm right where you are BC - frame work all done by me, but the total number is still just somewhat staggering.

Can't wait to see yours
    I wouldn't mind having a manual mill, but I'd definitely leave the machining on this type of project to a subject matter expert with the proper tools.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Cock View Post
    Schambers, good work on that Glock. Did you do the stippling and grip mods?
    Yep.