Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Stupid Expensive Glock 19 Build

Apex trigger, stainless pins, Ghost Edge connector, and maritime spring cups came in today. The Wilson combat barrel is slated for delivery tomorrow, and then I'll go get some live fire in.

I've been dry firing ever since I installed the connector, and while there is noticeable pre travel, the pull is very smooth, and the wide trigger face makes for a very straight pull.

I have noted that since the new trigger was installed, lockup is a bit tighter and it takes just a bit more momentum of the slide to lock all the way forward. I doubt it will affect function, but it is worth noting.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Damn, brother. That's one hot G19.
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member | SAF Life Member | FPC Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interested to see how that trigger works out for you. Been kinda going back and forth between it and the Agency.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am excited to test out the trigger. The flat wide face is fantastic and makes trigger control during dry firing super simple.

Here's the first studio shot of it. I couldn't wait until the WC barrel comes in. Now I pretty much just need to get milling and refinished sorted and I'll be finished.
    Vali by Battle Cock, on Flickr

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's looking super good, can't wait to see it done and hear the range report. How's break/reset feel?
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    The break isn't what I'd call like glass, (like my CMC flat) but its very smooth. Which, I think I may prefer in a handgun. With the current setup there is about 1/4" pre travel, but it resets at less than half that and the reset is very positive. I think the Apex trigger body's modified fulcrum helps with that. The forward movement of the slide provides more of a reset assist than the OEM trigger.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Very interesting and good info. Too many good options to choose from.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Keep in mind the only trigger modifications I've done so far are to drop in the Apex trigger and GHOST Edge 3.5lb connector. I know the trigger could be further improved for sporting purposes, (to cut out pretravel) but I'm not sure it needs any work for defensive/carry gun. And just for your info, overtravel seems to be about 1/8" so total trigger travel from the rear to reset is ~1/4". (I haven't done any measurements, those are just approximations.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nah, I'm with you on the defensive and carry end, and those numbers don't look bad.

Also, did you do any frame straightening? You went from here:

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Cock View Post
    DSC_0078 by Battle Cock, on Flickr
    To here:

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Cock View Post
    And I would swear the frame to slide gap is more linear looking at it near the muzzle end.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Nah, I'm with you on the defensive and carry end, and those numbers don't look bad.

Also, did you do any frame straightening? You went from here:

To here:

And I would swear the frame to slide gap is more linear looking at it near the muzzle end.
    That's just the camera angle. I don't think straightening that portion would improve function at all. It doesn't contact the slide and it's all forward of the rails.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ah, was just wondering if I was crazy or if your talents were ever further reaching than I'd previously thought.
    -One Nation, Under God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
    Ah, was just wondering if I was crazy or if your talents were ever further reaching than I'd previously thought.
    I could probably straighten it out, but I don't see a need to. That, and my chances of doing it correctly are lower than my chances completely destroying the frame.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got 200 rounds in at the range. Grouped ~2-3" at 15yd. I shot some with both the WC barrel and the OEM barrel, and have several observations. Accuracy did not noticeably change between the two. (Not unexpected, since my shooting needs improvement) And, the lockup issue I noted earlier, caused several malfunctions with the WC barrel. On those malfunctions, the slide failed to return fully forward. This did not happen with the OEM barrel, and I attribute that to the lower external tolerances of the OEM barrel.
    My hypothesis is that the new trigger bar is causing the lockup issue. I say this, because during dry fire, if I continue to hold the trigger down when cycling the slide, the last 1/8" of forward slide movement sees increased friction and will stop the slide if it is moving slowly enough. This friction dissipates and the slide moves fully into battery upon release of the trigger. (Though the 3 such live malfunctions failed to do so.)

I will get a new battery for my calipers and compare the old and new trigger bars to figure out exactly which area needs to be adjusted to address the issue.

The recoil impulse from the WC barrel was noticeably longer and less snappy than the OEM barrel.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for keeping thread protectors secure on a barrel? Loctite?
    Last edited by Battle Cock; 10 February 2016 at 15:29.

Downloads
    Uploads
    B.C., none of the Glocks I've ever owned have ever been modded to the extent that yours has, but I've used KKM and LW barrels (you mentioned no appreciable improvement of accuracy with the WC barrel), and I've never noticed much improvement at all. A little maybe, and I have a G19 that's fairly accurate for a Glock, with a KKM barrel. Mostly, all I got for my money was the ability to shoot cheap lead target loads. Except for the G19, only minor improvements with jacketed.

FT
    NRA Life Member
    Deplorables Life Member
    Bible and Gun Clinger
    Filthy Stinking Wal Mart Shopper

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen groups tighten up with KKM barrels on M&P's and Glocks, BUT not immediately out of the box. It's been awhile but seems like it took 200-500 rounds for the barrels to break in, at which point groups tightened up.

I would venture a guess that the Wilson, like the KKM, needs broken in.
    -One Nation, Under God