Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would hope folks who hunt with subsonics realize the capabilities of what they're dealing with and shoot at closer distances. If I was hunting 50 yards and in, I'd probably take nothing but head shots.

Even suppressed supersonic hunting is way more tolerable than unsuppressed, which is why I personally stick to suppressed supersonic loads in my .308 (168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip). My last deer I shot with a 64gr Winchester Power Point over 26.5gr of CFE 223 at 150 yards and it was DRT. I want to see what my 77gr TMKs will do....suppressed of course

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to agree with Former11B. I played with the sub game for a min., tested all I could, and while quiet and fun my findings were just not for me for hunting purposes. Sonics in the lower capacity rounds like 300 and 277 are fine with me being more partial to the Wolverine, those 95gr TTSX are a great bullet for the Wolvie. However once I put the suppressor on my 7mm Valkerie with 20" barrel and rifle gas I really fell in love. Unless you are shooting subs, to me, short barrels are loud and that's just how its gonna be. I've been much happier sacrificing a little maneuverability for quieter shooting and more performance on target.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    I would hope folks who hunt with subsonics realize the capabilities of what they're dealing with and shoot at closer distances. If I was hunting 50 yards and in, I'd probably take nothing but head shots.

Even suppressed supersonic hunting is way more tolerable than unsuppressed, which is why I personally stick to suppressed supersonic loads in my .308 (168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip). My last deer I shot with a 64gr Winchester Power Point over 26.5gr of CFE 223 at 150 yards and it was DRT. I want to see what my 77gr TMKs will do....suppressed of course
    Do you know of any resources for 300 handloading that includes pressure studies or at least theories on safe chamber pressures, and has that even been studied, period? What I'm wondering is how hot can you go with a certain weight projectile, say 147 vs. 220 gr. Is a "hot" 220 even possible, given half the bullet is stuffed in the casing? Curious questions...
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    Do you know of any resources for 300 handloading that includes pressure studies or at least theories on safe chamber pressures, and has that even been studied, period? What I'm wondering is how hot can you go with a certain weight projectile, say 147 vs. 220 gr. Is a "hot" 220 even possible, given half the bullet is stuffed in the casing? Curious questions...
    Go to Hogdon's Reloading page and they have all the stuff you could ever want with tons of powders on there all for 300 BO....110 gr all the way up to 230 gr....

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post

See if this helps

https://sierrabullets.files.wordpres...c-blackout.pdf

Edit:

Looking for the other link...can't find my other manufacturer link but this will take you down some rabbit holes

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86656

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I have killed at least 50 white tails with my .300's. Some crop damage permits and some for the freezer. I have multiple rifles from 16" to 10.5" barrels.

A few things I have found.

Subs suck for hunting. Over 50 yds and there is a 99% chance you will never find that deer. Just not enough energy or expansion. Small wound cavities and very little blood loss. A good friend shot a doe I had shot the previous month at around 65 yds and the round was wedged between 2 ribs. She was not even limping a month after a perfect shot.

Supers fly well and hit hard out to 200-250 yards. Beyond that the chances of a humane kill fall drastically. Between 50-150 yards I see very little difference between a .308 and a .300BO in shot to fast kill ratio. They may be slightly superior to a .308 at those ranges as tissue damage is reduced.

For off the shelf ammo the Barnes 120gr. TAC-TX has proven itself multiple times to me. For hand loads I have been running the 125gr. AccuBonds over 17 grs. of W296. Right around 2070 fps out of a 16" barrel and very accurate out of any length barrel I've tried.

I love hunting with the BO's in certain conditions. When I hunt field stands with possible shots over 200 yards I look to a round with more velocity and heavier bullets.
    Hunting here in East Nebraska is corn field to corn field. What I mean by that is you have corn fields in 100-200 yard plots. Normally around these plots you have what passes for trees here. Sorry, lived in Washington State too long my idea of a tree is a bush here.

If I use sub rounds I am think more on the lines of killing pigs, but for white tail I have been looking into the Barnes 110-120gr rounds and they seem to be the best for shots within the 50-250 range. Which is about max since I would be basically shooting between my hide in vegetation and to where the deer leave the vegetation on the other side of a field.

Thank you for the info, in fact thank you everyone for the data on which rounds would work best.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Former11B View Post
    See if this helps

https://sierrabullets.files.wordpres...c-blackout.pdf

Edit:

Looking for the other link...
    That is some good shit right there. I will need to pick up some dies for my press and see what I can do.