Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

New build - headspace question?

I have a new barrel marked 5.56 Nato. I plan to shoot only 223's in it. Do I need 5.56 headspace gauges or 223 headspace gauges? Both Midway and Brownells has both. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    5.56 barrel = 5.56 headspace gauges

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why do you think you'll need a headspace gauge? Any quality bcg and barrel will be in spec 99% of the time

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cutt1100 View Post
    I have a new barrel marked 5.56 Nato. I plan to shoot only 223's in it. Do I need 5.56 headspace gauges or 223 headspace gauges? Both Midway and Brownells has both. Thanks
    First build or AR? If so I get the DIY thing as that's me, but if you got a friend or someone close by that's done it before I'd say offer up something and have them help/ guide of what not..Just a friendly suggestion, they are like Legos but by the question assuming your new to the platform or just building?

Also welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by DeviantLogic View Post
    5.56 barrel = 5.56 headspace gauges
    X2

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    Why do you think you'll need a headspace gauge? Any quality bcg and barrel will be in spec 99% of the time
    I ALWAYS headspace every build. Way more than people expect are borderline at best. Details like head spacing and pinning gas blocks, dimpling barrels on ones that can't be pinned all make the difference between another dining room assembler and a true builder IMO.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No arguments here. I just don't think a one and done builder needs to buy a set.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never headspaced any of the 12-15 uppers that I've built, nor have I ever felt the need when swapping BCGs. IMHO, generally unnecessary if you're using a quality barrel and BCG.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think using headspace gauges is a great tool for giving you that extra piece of mind and verification that everything is in order. Is it truly needed? That depends on you. As HMAC said as long as your using quality parts from reputable companies your highly unlikely to have an issue relating to headspacing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    I ALWAYS headspace every build. Way more than people expect are borderline at best. Details like head spacing and pinning gas blocks, dimpling barrels on ones that can't be pinned all make the difference between another dining room assembler and a true builder IMO.
    LOL, this is so true. I love watching people at the range bitching their new build doesn't run... all dining room assemblers who have watched 1 youtube video.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Attention to detail certainly separates the hobbyists. But if a friend asked me should they buy a go/no go/ field gauge kit for their one build I would tell them they'd be better served spending that money on a matched bolt from the manufacture instead.

Downloads
    Uploads
    this reminds me to go look for a set of gauges. i've only built one (the other was a complete upper).

any opinions on the places that match the bolt to the barrel within tighter tolerances to the mil spec?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
    do i get extra points for sourcing and buying a tube of 33MS grease? I've used about 1/10000 of the tube on my first build

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wsaraceni View Post
    do i get extra points for sourcing and buying a tube of 33MS grease? I've used about 1/10000 of the tube on my first build
    Just buy a Gear Sector Handguard, they include a small tub, enough for a lifetime of builds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a Wilson barrel with a Wilson BCG.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can spend $60 on a go/no go set, but I'd wager $1,000 of UWOne's money that those parts are in-spec.
    There's no "Team" in F**K YOU!