Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Downloads
    Uploads
    #319-223-464EK.223 (5.56 NATO) Go 1.4636”
    #319-223-467EK.223 (5.56 NATO) No-Go 1.4666”
    #319-223-470EK.223 (5.56 NATO) Field 1.4696”
    This is the reason I asked the original question.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would buy the Headspace gauges... you have to remember that everyone and their brother are selling barrels, and BCG's these days. I have seen out of spec "designer" barrels and BCG's as well as Mil-spec /Mil contractor ones. I am not sure if you have Wilson parts, or Wilson Combat parts, as they are not the same. I know WC is doing some barrel work in house. Wilson makes barrels for a lot of folks in the industry. At the end of the day you have to place a value on your face,eyesight etc. To me $60 is a fair price for a piece of mind. I have not seen many people who build one AR and stop, so chances are you will build another at some point.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by John Moses View Post
    I would buy the Headspace gauges... you have to remember that everyone and their brother are selling barrels, and BCG's these days. I have seen out of spec "designer" barrels and BCG's as well as Mil-spec /Mil contractor ones. I am not sure if you have Wilson parts, or Wilson Combat parts, as they are not the same. I know WC is doing some barrel work in house. Wilson makes barrels for a lot of folks in the industry. At the end of the day you have to place a value on your face,eyesight etc. To me $60 is a fair price for a piece of mind. I have not seen many people who build one AR and stop, so chances are you will build another at some point.
    You make 2 great points here. The first is that everyone and their brother is making barrels and BCG's and you simply don't know what you're getting. The second is that once you build one, you will undoubtedly build at least another.

That said, I didn't check headspace on my first build, but I have on all others.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They are both Wilson Combat. I'm with John Moses and P39 on this one. $60.00 is not a lot to spend for peace of mind. Not to open a can of worms but, just wondering why some companies list a 5.56 and a 223. And another company says they are both the same.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They are not the same. 5.56 NATO chambers have slightly longer head spacing than .223. Use the gauge that matches the barrel markings.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought a Lilja barrel and had to send it back due to headspacing issues. This can and does happen even with the most expensive parts. Always a good idea to verify headspace.

Downloads
    Uploads
    6 magazines worth of ammo is about what a set costs. So for a tool that checks the most critical dimension on a weapon and lasts a lifetime some people will actually debate it's worth. Mind boggling.

And name brand and cost has nothing to do with a out of spec part. I've had $400 triggers completely incompatible with a $80 safety. Just look at all the fitment issues discussed every day. Poor upper/lower fit, barrel extensions to uppers, the list never ends.

Judging by my experience with actually checking the head space, 2-3% of the firearms built the head spacing is off.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought a set of. 556 gushed for peace of mind, so far everything I've played with has been good.. A few tighter then other chambers but all passed.

Got a 300 build on the block and dont plan on many so would rather see if I could borrow a set atleast if not buying or having a reputable gun shop/ smith get it done.