Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 147gr 9mm Issue

Downloads
    Uploads

147gr 9mm Issue

I found a couple hundred rounds of some 147gr Montana Gold hollow points that I had loaded several years ago with some Hodgdons HS6 . I remember having feeding other issues with this ammo over several guns - G19 G17 & P229 but figured Id give it a try . I tried it in my g19 and P229 and it wouldn't cycle and I had to literally rack the slide to load the next round even though it would eject the spent round . I assumed it may have been a light load so I upped the load to the max grains and same thing . Now I'm wondering if it's a projectile issue so I try xtreme 147gr and now it will cycle un suppressed but not suppressed . I went and grabbed some E3 & cfe pistol today and tried 1 test load . I loaded 3.0gr of E3 and it would cycle until I put the can on and it wouldn't cycle . I have more loads planned for tomorrow but I'm beginning to wonder if this may be a guide rod spring issue or something else .
    Gun Specs
    Gen3 G19
    S3f Threaded barrel
    Glockkraft DAT trigger
    Ghost Evo connector
    Mystery aftermarket guide rod

Downloads
    Uploads
    I run a Gen 3 G19 bone stock with a 9mm can.

My load for 147 Xtremes is 3.5gr Titegroup with CCI #500s

Any chance of putting the Glock back to factory and trying the ammo again to see if it's an ammo vs equipment issue?

Downloads
    Uploads
    What is the overall length of your reloads? Compare that to other loads that you have and post results.

There could be a number of issues. Not enough information to answer though.

Your rounds could be hanging up, but it sort of sounds almost like a short stroke.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Basically try seating the bullets a little less deep so the OAL is slightly longer and see if that helps. Get em long enough to fit the mag and that's it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    hmm... don't use Montana golds, but I have loaded a couple K of xtreme and Hornady 147's, and used in a Glock35 with Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel, Lone wolf recoil rod and lighter springs, glocktrigers.com trigger, yada yada and have never had a single failure of any kind

I load all mine with 3.4g titegroup, COL of 1.10

I have used HS6 and had no issues, but I have been able to load up on Titegroup and have not seen mu HS6. I'll look and see in my notes what my charge was with HS6.

Maybe too light of a recoil spring, and your slide is cycling too fast with the can on to effectively strip the next round? Just talking out my butt as I've never had to troubleshot pistol issues...
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim
    "You can never have too many guns" - my wife's actual comment
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a weak/ light load. What charge on the H6? I don't use it and have heard it doesn't like s light charge atleast for 9 mm

I don't supress but use 147's with good Results and mostly using WSF right now, but also bullseye, cfe, and have some tite group to play with

Downloads
    Uploads
    The HS6 load is at an on paper max load of 5.0gr as per Hodgdon . I'm trying E3 loads of 3.1-3.3gr in a couple hours along with a couple loads my buddy is bringing and were gonna see if any of mine cycle his 226 suppressed and vice versa . So if everything thing runs fine in his it will answer the fact that Glocks are plastic dildos .......... sorry got on a rant . But hopefully it will narrow down whats wrong with my Glock other than the obvious when compared to a Sig

Downloads
    Uploads
    I say that you've got weak loads. Almost all my loads usually end up near max. I shoot 147gr ball all the time without issues through my 19. I haven't used hs6 though...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I looked this morning at my load book, I use 3.4g Titegroup, 3.9g CFEpistol and 4.8g HS6 in my glock 35 9mm conversion. My new Sig will be back from 'tweaking' this Friday so I'll know if those run in that gun too.
    Jim
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    3.1gr E3 G19 cycled un suppressed would not cycle suppressed . Wouldn't cycle period in 226
    3.2gr E3 G19 cycled un suppressed got a 2 shot string suppressed . 226 wouldn't cycle any .
    3.3gr E3 cycled un suppressed and cycled 4 shots before it didn't fire . 226 would randomly cycle suppressed
    165gr fmj unknown charge would not cycle suppressed .
    wolf 115gr fmj cycled in all guns un suppressed and suppressed
    E3 powder didnt cause any pressure sings on the rounds so I might try some factory 147 tomorrow to see if my gun just hates my reloads .

Downloads
    Uploads
    interesting. I'm getting interested in getting my Sig226 this Friday and testing mine! I ran my reloads (3.4g Titegroup) thru my G35/9mm conversion and my Sig229 with no issues, but the Sig226 is coming back with the threaded barrel, so I can test with the can
    Jim
    Alaska Fun

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wait didn't you say Glock were polymer dildos? j/k

Let us know what the factory results yeld. Also what suppressor are you running?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak007 View Post
    I might try some factory 147 tomorrow to see if my gun just hates my reloads .
    I have been reading about the powder you use and to me that isn't a good choice AT ALL for what you are wanting to do.

I'll betcha a dollar that if you get some better powder you won't have a problem.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For example Hodgon Titewad is listed right next to E3 on the burn rate chart so burn rate wise it's very similar.

On Hodgon's site they only have one 9mm load listed for Titewad period and that is with a 124 grain bullet. Their data shows a max load of 3.4 grains resulting in a velocity of 942 fps out of a 4" barrel.

After reading about that powder you are using it makes sense why it's not working.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I have been reading about the powder you use and to me that isn't a good choice AT ALL for what you are wanting to do.

I'll betcha a dollar that if you get some better powder you won't have a problem.
    He did say he had some cfe pistol. I've had good results with that. I say give that a go...