Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    SBR lowers must be engraved. If it is not a factory SBR being transferred as such. The Truth about Guns needs to get their facts straight. That being said, I love IDENT, however my last SBR stamp came back in 28 days and my Engraving took 31 days.....LOL. Another good place is LEO in Tucson.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm lucky to have a LGS that does engraving. I also work with someone who engraved on jewelry and such
    "Always do more than is required of you"
    - General George S. Patton

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farva View Post
    I'm lucky to have a LGS that does engraving. I also work with someone who engraved on jewelry and such
    I was told that just anybody can't do engraving... that it had to be an licensed person...

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/lice...iring-firearms

"Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(11) and (21); 27 CFR 478.11]"
    Last edited by alamo5000; 31 January 2016 at 21:58.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    I was told that just anybody can't do engraving... that it had to be an licensed person...
    Licensed in what?

Downloads
    Uploads
    That much I don't know. It's the first I've heard of it. I would imagine the gun shop that does it would have their ducks in a row. Either way, they're engraved
    "Always do more than is required of you"
    - General George S. Patton

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    Licensed in what?
    Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(11) and (21); 27 CFR 478.11]

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(11) and (21); 27 CFR 478.11]

LOL... I'm glad I've always had mine engraved by an FFL/SOT I know there are some rogue engravers out there, engraving NFA items in their garage with no FFL.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Licenses to receive a firearm, that is an FFL, not licensed to run an engraving machine.

A jeweler can do it if you are present because it is still in your possession.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    LOL... I'm glad I've always had mine engraved by an FFL/SOT I know there are some rogue engravers out there, engraving NFA items in their garage with no FFL.
    I went with a guy that was really close to me but he's on the level...He's got all the initials... FFL SOT yada yada...

This pic isn't of my engraving (it's one of the sample pics) but mine came out looking just like this...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Licenses to receive a firearm, that is an FFL, not licensed to run an engraving machine.

A jeweler can do it if you are present because it is still in your possession.
    I don't know how they can enforce the engraving rule after the fact. Just saying. Maybe set up a sting operation or something?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know how they can enforce the engraving rule after the fact. Just saying. Maybe set up a sting operation or something?
    Alamo, the "engraving license" is not a thing, it's a poorly worded Q&A. They mean the engraver has to be properly licensed to receive and take possession of a firearm, FFL.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Does Ident's price include return shipping?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tappedandtagged View Post
    Does Ident's price include return shipping?
    No, shipping is added. My invoice was $55 each for the two engraving jobs, and $24.19 total for return shipping via UPS Ground Adult Signature Required. Turn around time for me was twelve days, and five, or six, of that was transport to and from. I think they did a nice job. It's a big photo, have to click it to see the engraving. I wish Rainier had their billet lower with no logo on the left side. Ident offers military emblem engraving. Would have had the Naval seal (not UDT) engraved.

NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    To lend BigWaylon a bit more credibility, he's also active on m4c. I don't know the guy personally, but he does seem to know his way around class 3 stuff quite well. He also wrote a good guide for doing an eform 1, since that system is terrible: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....1-using-EFORMS
    He's also active on an NC/SC gun forum I'm on and helped re-write a lot of the SBR/Form 1 stickies/FAQs we had that were outdated. I would definitely take his word over the author of the article.

Tar Heel State Firearms in North Carolina (Charlotte) also does excellent firearm/SBR engraving, from customized logos to SBR/Suppressor engravings. I want to get my OIF commemorative lower engraved on the right side of the magazine well with my Combat Infantryman's Badge and maybe tour dates in OIF

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    No, shipping is added. My invoice was $55 each for the two engraving jobs, and $24.19 total for return shipping via UPS Ground Adult Signature Required. Turn around time for me was twelve days, and five, or six, of that was transport to and from. I think they did a nice job. It's a big photo, have to click it to see the engraving. I wish Rainier had their billet lower with no logo on the left side. Ident offers military emblem engraving. Would have had the Naval seal (not UDT) engraved.

I really like RA lowers too but also wish they offered a non logo option. I think they have a cool logo and no doubt want to brand their products but I think a lot of guys like the clean option. Perfect example is San Tan offering clean options and I think they sell very well for them.