Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scope question

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    Will do, checking it now.

Edit: Not just interesting, but also a fun read. Dan has some good info - specially the Lapua 170 FMJ loading; definitely going to find some of that. I primarily load Hornady's 165 SST and 168 BTHP over 45.2 of BLC-2. That pretty much duplicates the velocity I'm getting out of the Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grainers in the 16" Sig. But I digress ... thanks again.
    It was a very interesting read. I had some similar conversations with other people before when we were just talking shop and BSing around. Inevitably I bring up my long range habit and the first thing people say is 'you must have a 24" barrel'... to which I always reply...'nope, 16 inches is all'... I have constantly gotten befuddled looks from that alone.

For some reason people think that a .223 bullet can't reach 800 yards out of anything but a long barrel... not true. You will just have different adjustments is all. At 800 yards with my .223 the adjustment is 38 MOA. If I had a long barrel it might be 34 MOA. Is there a difference? Yes of course... but the cartridge becomes not very effective past that so more is just overkill.

Practical application matters a whole lot. What is the ranges you will shoot at? 300 yards? 500 yards? 800 yards? Yeah if you want to hit a grand with a .308 a longer barrel might matter but 800 and in a 16" gun works just fine. Picking the right tool for the job matters. If you are shooting 2-300 yards max a giant barrel becomes more prohibitive than it is helpful... Just saying...

After reading that article it makes me want a .308! LOL I will get there just too many irons in the fire right now to fork out the cash.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo5000 View Post
    After reading that article it makes me want a .308! LOL I will get there just too many irons in the fire right now to fork out the cash.
    Understood. The Sig 716 is two tons of fun to shoot, and being a piston cleanup is pretty easy. The Lantac Dragon is a bit much on the 16" barrel though; fireball completely obliterates the view every shot. I'm holding a BattleComp 51.30 for it. When the AAC 762SD gets out of jail I want to do a night shoot comparison between the two muzzle devices. Don't really want to swap them until the can comes home.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, I sort of agree with the range toy aspect of the SBR 308, but at my age, range toys are all I have. - I love the 6.8. I have two LWRCi M6A3 units in 6.8 - one 16" and one 10.5". Both are exceptional. The SBR is a superb little package. Push come to shove, it would be my Go-To. Older picture below; EOTech returned, and an Aimpoint PRO is on it now.
    Preaching to the choir, then, wasn't I?!?! Nice M6.

Alamo, the TTAG article is interesting, but he spends a lot of time talking around velocity variability and kind of misses the whole point of "ceteris paribus". His views are also predicated on rolling your own ammo:

The thing with shorter barrels is that you have to be mindful of what components you use to load them. And handload you must to get the best performance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We just got off the phone, but I'm still on the USO 8s, 1-8. Perfect for that SBR.

Then, bring it up here, and as a "responsible person", I'll take good care of it for you. :D

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm pretty sure it would put it out of your price range, but I think it's important to note that you can get the USO SR-8s with a dual focal plane option. It uses beam splitter technology so instead of the illumination being part of the reticle itself, it's projected between the ocular lens and the reticle and allows you to use it as a SFP scope when the illumination is on. It's also my understanding that since the 8s only uses partial illumination (circle with center dot), you can still utilize the FFP reticle even when the illumination is on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd been looking hard at that leupy 1-6 multigun myself for a 12.5 sbr but damn that z6i vdm posted is amazing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't forget the PEPR..............

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just a heads up, there's a reputable member over on Snipershide selling a "like brand new" Vortex Gen II in a Bobro mount for $1300 shipped. You may be able to talk him down a little bit too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh S. View Post
    Just a heads up, there's a reputable member over on Snipershide selling a "like brand new" Vortex Gen II in a Bobro mount for $1300 shipped. You may be able to talk him down a little bit too.
    Thanks Josh - I will definitely take a look.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay Guys, just to close this thread ...

This morning I purchased a US Optics SR-8S 1-8x with the FFP C2 reticle. New, unopened, on eBay for $1,399 with free shipping (they accepted a "best offer"). Managed to get my price point and an extra 2x on the high end.

I intend to use an MI Cantilever QD mount for it. I need to wait until it arrives so I can measure the eyepiece housing. I found the specs on the ocular lens diameter, but not the housing diameter. I want to be sure it clears the rear BUIS. Fortunately, MI offers two heights - I just need to know which one to order. I found a couple of scope height calculators online that I can use once I know the diameter.

Now we wait six months for the rifle to get out of jail - about 20 days left on the Form-3, then we Form-4 it. Once Form-3 "extradition" is complete, I will post a couple of mug-shots.

Thanks for the input - much appreciated.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

Downloads
    Uploads

This morning I purchased a US Optics SR-8S 1-8x with the FFP C2 reticle. New, unopened, on eBay for $1,399 with free shipping (they accepted a "best offer"). Managed to get my price point and an extra 2x on the high end.

I intend to use an MI Cantilever QD mount for it. I need to wait until it arrives so I can measure the eyepiece housing. I found the specs on the ocular lens diameter, but not the housing diameter. I want to be sure it clears the rear BUIS. Fortunately, MI offers two heights - I just need to know which one to order. I found a couple of scope height calculators online that I can use once I know the diameter.

Now we wait six months for the rifle to get out of jail - about 20 days left on the Form-3, then we Form-4 it. Once Form-3 "extradition" is complete, I will post a couple of mug-shots.

USO 1-8 is the shizzle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Somehow I completely missed the update. Congrats on the USO, Jerry! The SR-8S is definitely on the "Want List", along with pretty much every other scope USO offers, plus a few more they don't "offer".

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's cool to see 1-4/6 scopes making a bit of a resurgence in popularity. The German #4 as well. I reckon the OP has decided by now but I used a Weaver 1.5x6. Natchez has them for 325 bucks. Heavy but very clear. I don't do a lot of scope shooting but when I do it serves my needs. It works on my AR's and I've tried it on an FN-FAL. Solid.
    Sturgill Simpson - You can have the Crown https://youtu.be/tNV16tz1NK0