Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

handguard weight question

Hey guys. I'm helping someone put together a really light weight build.

He's going with a 14.5" pencil barrel (probably the one from Faxon), so I figure a 12" free float will be what he can get for lightest weight. Anybody have any good light weight suggestions somewhere in the 100-150 range?
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What format? KeyMod, MLOK or Picatinny?

Downloads
    Uploads

The KMR-Alphas are still fairly lw and well priced.

I think the best bang for your buck rails are the ones from ALG

They feel really good in hand as well

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a 13.7" and I'm not sure how the weight compares to other options, but "EO3" has a Faxon 14.5" barrel, SMOS MLOK rail and slick-side upper for sale in the classifieds. May be worth looking into...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by DutyUse View Post
    The KMR-Alphas are still fairly lw and well priced.

I think the best bang for your buck rails are the ones from ALG

They feel really good in hand as well
    I ditto this. The KMR Alpha is stupid light weight. The original KMR would be even lighter but does not meet your budget requirements.
    "Always do more than is required of you"
    - General George S. Patton

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Alpha is the way to go, but I believe they start at $179.99. To meet budget, I'd go with the ALG as well. I'm sure there are a few others that would be good choices, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I'd also consider used. You can probably find a Rainier/Samson Evolution for sub-$100

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm finding the KMR alphas from 170-210 depending on length, so maybe slightly out of budget. But well worth saving the extra few dollars for.

The ALG defense rails are a steal at 100-150 and depending on model are nearly as light as the KMR-A

KMR-A 13" - 9.9oz
    ALG EMR1 13" - 10.25

Edit:

The rail VDM is selling is extremely nice and in your range.

link
    Last edited by DutyUse; 9 February 2016 at 11:25.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh S. View Post
    It's a 13.7" and I'm not sure how the weight compares to other options, but "EO3" has a Faxon 14.5" barrel, SMOS MLOK rail and slick-side upper for sale in the classifieds. May be worth looking into...
    Still available, too! It's a very lightweight, but still robust and solid upper.

MI Gen 3 MLOK 12.625 rail is pretty dang light, but runs about $180 I believe.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I second EO3's setup. That upper receiver is lighter than BAD and barely heavier than 2A and better looking than both! I have the handguard and barrel nut unassembled that he also has and can weigh them if interested. In that price range, very hard to beat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just weighted it. Handguard with barrel nut and screws: 13.22oz.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    I second EO3's setup. That upper receiver is lighter than BAD and barely heavier than 2A and better looking than both! I have the handguard and barrel nut unassembled that he also has and can weigh them if interested. In that price range, very hard to beat.
    Yessir! Paired with this 14.5 Faxon Gunner, which rolls in right at 22 oz I believe, it's very light. The midlength gas and Surefire Procomp make it shoot very soft as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by UWone77 View Post
    What format? KeyMod, MLOK or Picatinny?
    It doesn't really matter to him. He's only concerned with it being light.
    Freedom is NEVER Free. We have to work to protect it and even be willing to die to protect it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by EO3 View Post
    Yessir! Paired with this 14.5 Faxon Gunner, which rolls in right at 22 oz I believe, it's very light. The midlength gas and Surefire Procomp make it shoot very soft as well.
    I'll mention it to him. I should catch him late tonight or in the morning.

Downloads
    Uploads
    8.2 oz for the Midwest Industries 12.5" Lightweight is worth considering, too: https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...tegory_ID=1266

If you wait for a decent sale you should be able to pick one up for about $160. I like mine well enough:

However, I do plan on selling mine to upgrade to a KMR which runs about $100 more. The KMR-A is probably the best value out there, IMO. The KMR mounting system is the bee's knees, as far as I'm concerned.

The EMR is a good option, too. I have an EMR but ditched it for a KMR-A. I just didn't care for the round profile of the EMR and am not a fan of the mounting system but it's a good choice for the DIYer w/o access to a torque wrench.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm going to recommend the ALG rail to him. Wish i knew what the Primary Arms rails made by Seekins Precision weigh. I have one of those on the way that's donated for the giveaway I'm doing for my builders group. I'll weigh it when it gets here later in the week. They're a decent price. He's building the rifle for his wife and she hated the weight of his h-bar upper on the lower he has already build for her.