Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11.5" Kitty SBR

Downloads
    Uploads

11.5" Kitty SBR

Here will be where I document the birth of the WEVO Kitty SBR. Also discussion on other parts.

So far I have:
    the Kitty Lower (obviously)
    Lantac UAR Upper
    11.5" BCM Extreme light weight fluted barrel
    10" KMR
    BCM lo-pro has block
    Geissele SD-C trigger

So things I still need:

BCG
    Iron sights
    Optic
    Muzzle device
    Stock

BCG- I was thinking about the Gemtech suppressor BCG. Everything I've seen on it has been positive. Has anyone on here had any experience with one? If so, what say you?

Iron sights- I can't decide between the Daniel Defense fixed irons or some flip ups like either the magpul pro's or something like RA's flip ups.

Optic- leaning on either the Aimpoint Pro or a Vortex PST 1-4.

Muzzle device- this will be an AAC mount since this will be suppressed. Thinking either the brake or the comp to add a superficial baffle if you will.

Stock- for now I might just throw a stabilizer blade on there until the stamp clears. I like the magpul K stock for its small signature. But that being said I'll have to wait and see what BCM's sopmod stock is going to be like.

Feel free to offer options and opinions about something I may have overlooked.
    "Always do more than is required of you"
    - General George S. Patton

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sub'd. This is gonna be an awesome little blaster when your done with it

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is gonna be sweet, and weigh about as much as a helium balloon.

Along those lines, could check out a Ti gas block by Battle Arms Development or V7 just to continue the lightweight forend. Along those lines, if the barrel you're using is a .625 gas block seat, the BCM gas block is the same outer dimension as their .750, just with a smaller hole.

...because bigger and heavier are exactly what people are looking for in a gas block apparently...

Innyhoo, yeah. This is gonna be sweet.
    -One Nation, Under God

-"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot." ~ Michael Althsuler

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would think the suppressor bolt might be worth a try. I would also consider a GA Snach.

Short barrels like that are extremely loud due to the high pressure at the bullet to bore exit. It makes the 'boom' a LOT louder than a 16 or 18" gun.

When you put the suppressor on there because of the increased pressure you will experience a lot more back pressure too. It's nothing that can't be lived with or overcome but every little bit helps.

I am personally pretty curious about the suppressor bolt myself.

As for an optic I have a T2 and am very very pleased with it. Don't ask me for expert opinions on red dots, but all I know is I really like mine and I can tell it's a work of art. It won't wash out in the sun and it's a frickin tank.

I would not put a 1-4x optic on a rifle like that though. That's just my opinion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is good. Opinions and suggestions are what I'm looking for.

I have eyed the SNATCH as well. I am however thinking pretty hard on the suppressor bolt. I think once I can find one in stock I'll pick it up.

Alamo, why is it you wouldn't recommend a 1-4? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The UAR matches up with the RA/Kitty Lower very well!

Downloads
    Uploads
    You might want to look at Battlecomp's AAC mount for a muzzle device. You have a great start on this build! Will be following this thread with great interest.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NRA Certified Instructor

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on."
    John Wayne - "The Shootist"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Reasons for not using a 1-4x Vortex on that rifle... I have a Vortex Viper PST and it is an excellent optic but I wouldn't want to use it on a really short gun.

For one it will add well over a pound of weight. I am using an ultra lite aero mount on mine and it is almost 1lb 2oz with the mount. It will totally throw off the weight savings.

Also I assume you will be shooting at 100y and in for the most part. If you had a 12.5 and were wanting to take it out to 300 or 400 yards or so then by all means the 1-4x is the way to go. But unless you have that specific idea in mind it could have some downsides. For example adding that much weight and that style of optic it could compromise your up close shooting in other scenarios.

At the end of the day even on "1x" the vortex is still a scope. Being all bunched up and hunched over it's slightly more challenging for target acquisition with a scope even on it's widest setting, not to mention it is heavy as hell which cuts down on mobility.

With the T2 it's a lot easier at least for me. Just follow the dot. You can do it both eyes open too whereas with the scope it's more of a challenge. I find with the smaller lighter optic I am able to move around a lot easier. Think of it as 'stacking'... first the scope is harder relative to a red dot to get on target in a fast situation... then it's heavier and way more bulky... when you add those two together it gives the dots a much better overall utility.

Now add to that at my steel targets have a 4" square head and I tagged the SOB between the eyes at 100 yards with a 1x. It's not easy but it's doable. Yes, I was trying to hit it in the head... Just hitting say like a 8x10 sheet of paper at 100 yards is easy with the 1x. At 50 yards it's a snap. I am far from an expert and I can from a standing position with no rest tag the shit out of my little steel plates... that is more than good for minute of man shooting in skilled hands.

It all depends on what you are going to do with the gun. What is your concept of shooting? Are you looking for minute of man where you can be fast on target? Or are you going to be back 'observing' a situation as a LEO where you are perched up somewhere watching what's going on?

At the end of the day what the 1-4x brings to the party is not worth it for the penalties it brings. This is assuming you are building an SBR to say go into buildings or clear a house or be on a target quickly. Assuming you want to be in an observer role a 12.5 or a 14.5 will be better barrel lengths if you ask me. At least in theory if you have to engage farther out you can much more easily do so without the ammo sensitivity.

Again if you are building a blaster a true 1x red dot will be a lot better and lighter and have almost no penalty because the optic will be matched to the style of shooting. But with a 10.5 or 11.5 you're talking around 100 yards is the max engagement range strictly based on ammo limitations. No matter what you're shooting you won't get too far beyond that. Given the gun will obviously shoot farther than that but if you ever had to shoot at somebody farther than that that's not the right tool.

On the other hand if you have to go inside a run down warehouse looking for a bad guy you will be more than glad you had a red dot.

It should also be noted that my expertise level is about a 2 out of 10 so I am just pontificating on stuff. That said I have read a lot because I am a frickin nerd and the people I have read put some ideas in my head that seem to make sense.
    Last edited by alamo5000; 15 February 2016 at 18:31.

Downloads
    Uploads
    All valid points Alamo. You by no means have to be an expert. Having read your other posts on here, your very scientific in your decisions. So I have no doubt you've read into this quite a bit. I was leaning towards the red dot option more so than the 1-4. It wasn't out of the question though. I did entertain the idea but perhaps a 1-4 would be better suited for a 300blk on that short of a gun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry R View Post
    You might want to look at Battlecomp's AAC mount for a muzzle device. You have a great start on this build! Will be following this thread with great interest.
    I've thought about this too. I have a battlecomp on my 14.5" and like it a lot. I wonder though if it would still act as a superficial baffle due to its design or not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice list of parts, that upper does look good paired with the kitty

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gem Tech BC- $225 + 50 for the bolt= $275 total.
    Adjustable gas block- $60 to 115 plus standard BCG (120) = $180 to 135

Unless you have already mated the BCM gas block, I'd personally get another gas block you can regulate versus a BC that may or may not work.

But, on a selfish note, I hope you go for the Gem Tech BCG, cause I'd rather have you test it than me.
    Last edited by tappedandtagged; 16 February 2016 at 04:19.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a gemtech carrier that I'm running on a 11.5 in. Just got mine Griffin out of nfa jail. so i'll be testing this weekend.
    "Americans are so enamored of equality, they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom."- Alexis de Tocqueville

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice set of parts so far. Deserves to have a pair of RA BUIS and here is a potential GB that WEVO may be doing. It'll be the best price RA can offer.

WEVO Rainier Arms BUIS Group Buy

Downloads
    Uploads